Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Mooy *** SIGNED on ONE YEAR LOAN DEAL ***

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Stephens - is a DM sitter, shielding the back line.
Mooy - is an ACM / midfielder creatively linking defence to attack.

Entirely different roles and strengths.

This. It's obvious. Yet so many posters have written 'Upgrade/downgrade on Stephens'. He's nothing like Dale Stephens. It's exasperating that people are too thick to grasp the difference.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're the one who is disputing what I'm saying, so how about you prove me wrong.

I don't know why I have to waste my time justifying something which I know is true.

Just go on whoscored or other sites and look yourself.
In my opinion (which I've had independently valued as totally worthless) it would have been better if you'd just shown the heatmaps, without the aggro.

If those heatmaps are for all their time in the PL, it seems to prove your point.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Love the fact that we're now a club that signs so many players the media team get them muddled up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's not rubbish, but I feel like I've been waiting two seasons for him to find his form. I also think he seems to get away with disappearing on the pitch because he's a "technically" good player. I suppose "underachieving" is how I would categorize him. I want more from him because like I say I think our centre midfield is a big problem for us. I think Mooy will be good for us because he'll either come in and play well or put pressure on those already here to step up.

List all the other players who also fall into the 'underachieving' category?

It'll be a very long list.

(Although it'll be nice to see a list which Ali & Big Jurg come out on top :dunce: )

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I pen the season before as well. So 2 of his 7 were pens.
So not including pens, 5 from 65 games. Knocky 5 from 63, Izqueirdo 5 in 50.

Looking at the heatmaps provided, he plays a lot further forward than Stephens or Propper, so a comparison of goals to games doesn't tell us much.

I'm guessing he'll be a decent squad player to compete with Propper and Stephens for a starting place. 3 central defenders might mean we don't always need a defensive midfielder (depends on opposition, home away, and even the particular part of a game).

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I hope nobody got into too much trouble for the photo mix up.

Genuinely. Must feel pretty rubbish, nobody likes to f*ck up at work.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I hope nobody got into too much trouble for the photo mix up.

Genuinely. Must feel pretty rubbish, nobody likes to f*ck up at work.

Having attached the wrong picture to a message before, the feeling of dread as soon as you’ve done it and know you can’t take it back is horrific :lolol: However you have to question surely there is a ‘preview post’ type thing before they post an article? Quite farcical really.

Supadupahands

Mar 10, 2016
In my opinion (which I've had independently valued as totally worthless) it would have been better if you'd just shown the heatmaps, without the aggro.

If those heatmaps are for all their time in the PL, it seems to prove your point.

they hadto create them in photoshop first

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Where you'll read what journalists have reported. Most, but not all, of the useful transfer news on NSC this summer has been via various credible journalists
Yes I know.
And true, NSC does a good job of aggregating that , and also alerting everyone to foreign news sources etc.
Exactly.

PS: Naylor's just reported that Aaron Connolly is staying this summer. Where did you read that on NSC ?
We all get excited about different things. On transfer deadline day, that's not a story that's floating my boat.

Question for you:
Of the signings we've made this summer, which ones has Naylor revealed before they've been discussed on NSC?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Great signing IMO.

Comparisons to Stephens/Propper are Silly. It's all about having options. People are far too convinced that 343 is set in stone. Potter likes to mix it up depending on the opponents. Mooy IMO, would be perfect in a 433.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Great signing IMO.
Agree.
Comparisons to Stephens/Propper are Silly.
Well I don't think it's silly. They are our central midfielders, which is where we'd expect Mooy to play, so it makes sense to compare, even if they generally do slightly different roles.
It's all about having options. People are far too convinced that 343 is set in stone. Potter likes to mix it up depending on the opponents.
Agreed, Potter is likely to have us playing several different ways throughout the season, and also within individual games. But he won't just have Stephens as a defensive midfielder with Mooy as an attacking one, he will try each player in different roles to see what they can do.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I wonder how the medical is going?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I will be in the minority here but prefer Kayal to Stephens. I genuinely believe Stephens is our weak link. Mooy is a very welcome signing as imo he does everything Stephens does but at a level up.

Well at least not in a minority of one! I always rated Kayal over Stephens. At least Kayal was always looking to play / run forwards rather than slow everything up and play backwards.

The acquisition of Mooy is brilliant business; I've always liked him and I think he will be far better suited to the Potter way than Stephens.

Well done TB & GP. Great business - thank you.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
And this is why I am glad you are not a football manager

Groß hasn’t been first choice in pre season. Why is that? Because Stephens is a better CDM and Propper is our best ‘complete’ midfielder. Playing a more attack minded midfielder who can pick a pass is great, but Groß can do that and was outstanding when fully fit 2 seasons ago. He’s got more attacking returns than Mooy in the last 2 Premier League season and has created more chances. The 3-4-3 / 5-2-2-1 formation we’ve seen in pre season has pushed Groß out as it does not suit him.

Where do you see Mooy fitting in?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
They're probably investigating the large hole where most people have a personality. Weird guy, especially for an Australian.

Is he? Never heard him talk TBF... seen him outplay us on the pitch tho...

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Groß hasn’t been first choice in pre season. Why is that? Because Stephens is a better CDM and Propper is our best ‘complete’ midfielder. Playing a more attack minded midfielder who can pick a pass is great, but Groß can do that and was outstanding when fully fit 2 seasons ago. He’s got more attacking returns than Mooy in the last 2 Premier League season and has created more chances. The 3-4-3 / 5-2-2-1 formation we’ve seen in pre season has pushed Groß out as it does not suit him.

Where do you see Mooy fitting in?

Fitting in?

Quite possibly be the first name on the team sheet by Xmas.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Did we really do that with the pic? I assumed it was a hoax / joke?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here