Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] September 8th - Bolton vs Bury: What are the chances?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Seems to me to be a long shot that both these teams will still be going by then. Bury have already had their first two games of the season postponed by the league and today Bolton failed to start selling tickets for this weekend's home game against fellow basket-case club Coventry.

Sad state of affairs for their fans. But if the game does happen, then I guess that would mean good things have happened to both clubs and so it could be a bit of a party.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Sadly zero, as I think Bury are sinking and there is no lifeboat in sight.

Looks like League One will be a 23 team division this season

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Horrible state of affairs. The amount of money in football. This shouldn’t be happening. You’d love someone to turn around. Clear their debts and carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
just 6 miles apart

Bury fans must have been waiting a long time for this fixture

bloody shame

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I think Bury have had it.

The chairman was on Talksport yesterday and Simon Jordan tore him a new one.

Then a fan came on and confirmed that he had lied during the interview by Jordan and this was evidenced.

The PFA have leant money to Bolton who as a founder member of the football league would be a bigger loss story wise.

I wonder if the PFA see losing Bury as an easier loss to take whilst giving out a warning to others.

Just my assumption nothing more.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Horrible state of affairs. The amount of money in football. This shouldn’t be happening. You’d love someone to turn around. Clear their debts and carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, their debts are pocket money to many Premier League owners.

just 6 miles apart

Bury fans must have been waiting a long time for this fixture

bloody shame

Plus would have been a boost for Bolton's coffers as I imagine it would draw a huge crowd.

Wayne Rooney could easily afford to buy Bury and wipe out their debts, and maybe build something a bit special there. Would be closer to his friends and his family too, a reason he sited for moving to Derby.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Actually been lurking for several weeks in this Bolton Wanderers forum thread to keep up with how they are doing. Some days it seems like the takeover is imminent, other days it seems there is no solution in sight. Currently it doesnt seem that bright despite playing last week and playing again in the weekend.

I feel with their fans but I hope the club ceases. English football clubs really need a big fat wake up call or these type of crisis will be very common in the not too distant future.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Actually been lurking for several weeks in this Bolton Wanderers forum thread to keep up with how they are doing. Some days it seems like the takeover is imminent, other days it seems there is no solution in sight. Currently it doesnt seem that bright despite playing last week and playing again in the weekend.

I feel with their fans but I hope the club ceases. English football clubs really need a big fat wake up call or these type of crisis will be very common in the not too distant future.

I do find this stuff very interesting considering what happened at the Goldstone, which was asset stripped due to the high value of the land, over the cost of maintaining an ageing neglected stadium.
In the case of Bury, can the owners simply fold up the club with an ageing old stadium, (when I once went there I think they had wooden terracing) and sell/ use the land for residential development ? Or is the land at Gigg lane not worth much ?

Where as in Bolton's case it has a modern stadium, that maybe makes the Stadium a bigger asset than the land, making it a prime target for a wealthy entrepreneur wanting to buy a Football Team/ Club.
Or is a more realistic approach that a few nearby local clubs amalgamate and play their games at the Reebok.

In Lancashire it's frightening how many clubs there are in a relatively small radius chasing the same dollar. Not to mention the blurring of local parochial borders.
In Australia professional sports teams are known to amalgamate, or relocate 100s of miles away, to gain new local support.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
After so many years of clubs almost folding but then somehow carrying on, it looks like we've finally reached the long-avoided moment where one or more could simply cease to exist and instantly vanish out the league, even mid-season. A sad state of affairs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here