Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] How to stop Seagulls nicking your chips

Barrow Boy

NSC Patreon
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
A university has done a study and apparently the best way to stop a seagull from nicking your food is to stare at it! Good luck trying that on a bugger the size of a chicken swooping in on your piece of fish/chips/pies etc. at about fifty mph. Try giving that a 'Paddington hard stare' and see how you get on!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49261385

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Seagull nicked my ice cream the other week on Eastbourne sea front. I was staring at one in front and another one attacked me from behind. Little bugger.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Don't feed them and they will learn to hunt for their own food. Humans are to blame, not the birds.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Seagull nicked my ice cream the other week on Eastbourne sea front. I was staring at one in front and another one attacked me from behind. Little bugger.

giphy.gif

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think you'll find a strongly worded letter should do the trick.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Saw a poor Asian lady, who I’m assuming was a tourist, walking obliviously along Brighton seafront down by the donut with a cone of chips, unbeknowingly to her a mob of seagulls were preparing to dive bomb her, one flew down into her face and she threw the chips and her phone into the air and ran off screaming, seagulls had their feast and flew off.

Funny though.

Last edited:

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Saw a poor Asian lady, who I’m assuming was a tourist, walking obliviously along Brighton seafront down by the donut with a cone of chips, unbeknowingly to her a mob of seagulls were preparing to dive bomb her, one flew down into her face and she threw the chips and her phone into the air and ran off screaming, seagulls had their feast and flew off.

Funny though.

Christ. [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Last summer we were staying at the Travelodge on the Worthing seafront. Dad bought a coffee mug to give to my brother and placed it on the table next to the window. Seagull reached in through the window, grabbed the mug and dragged it out of the room. It ended up on the roof below, suspect it's still there.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Last summer we were staying at the Travelodge on the Worthing seafront. Dad bought a coffee mug to give to my brother and placed it on the table next to the window. Seagull reached in through the window, grabbed the mug and dragged it out of the room. It ended up on the roof below, suspect it's still there.

Puts a whole new meaning to the term ‘mugging’.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Don't eat chips outside, especially on the seafront or pier, doesn't take a genius to work that one out. :)

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I was down in Brighton a month ago, and noticed that the Gulls are bigger, noisier and braver (or more aggressive) than they were years ago - and there are many more of them; on every roof, chimney and lamp-post, and not just on the seafront, squawking from dawn to midnight.

And they are moving inland; places like Bath, and Cheltenham, are infested with them every summer.

I'd happily see a cull - they're the chavs of the avian world. Generally, I love wildlife, but I absolutely hate these Gulls; screeching ******s .

Funny though.

Similar experience a few Sundays ago with Mrs. & youngest Potting by the pier. Having already witnessed a seagull mugging of a tourist's chips youngest and I were carefully guarding our mini donuts - Mrs. P. felt it necessary to remind us to "watch for seagulls". At that moment one swept in and removed a substantial piece of her cereal bar!

We retreated to the less than salubrious subway by the pier and joined several others sheltering there in a manner somewhat reminiscent of the Underground during the Blitz.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
A university has done a study and apparently the best way to stop a seagull from nicking your food is to stare at it! Good luck trying that on a bugger the size of a chicken swooping in on your piece of fish/chips/pies etc. at about fifty mph. Try giving that a 'Paddington hard stare' and see how you get on!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49261385

bad idea, they might take a fancy to an eyeball

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here