Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Train travel in Holland

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Oh learned postees

I am off to Holland in a couple of weeks for the 'Once in a Blue Moon' festival. Any hints on cheap train travel in the country? I read that there is no advanced booking discount but presume there are cheap tickets available somehow/somewhere?

Any feedback much appreciated

TNBA

TTF

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just buy a ticket card at any train station. Its insanely cheap compared to UK prices so that should not really be a worry.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
But an OV chipkaart when you arrive. The card costs €7 and then you load it up with money for travel. Works like an Oyster card for all public transport across the entire country. Don’t forget to check out or it will charge you €20 automatically for trains.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
You can also get a NS season ticket, although you have to put a minimum balance of 10 on it, and then you can get a free personal chipcard rather than paying 7.50 for the anonymous one.

Amsterdam Travel Ticket gets you from Skip to the city plus unlimited public transport. 17 for a day, 22.50 for two, 28 for three.

The only other thing maybe worth considering is a day ticket for all public transport throughout NL. That's 61 or 41 after 9am during the week. Not great value.

Try ns.nl/producten

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The cheapest fares are if you purchase a ''ChipenCaart'' - Like an Oyster card.

You can use it on all transport. Trains buses and trams all over Holland. The only draw back it that is has to be always 30Euros in credit, which is fine for me as I have friends in Den Haag and Noordwijkerhout so its easy for me to leave the 30 Euros in credit for when I go back the next time.

You can purchase one and when you are due to come home, take the chance and let it run down below the 30 Euros or keep it above 30 Euros as an incentive to go back again

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You can go the whole hog and get the train there. I go every year for an exhibition and get the Eurostar to Amsterdam now.

Unfortunately, not worth it getting back at the mo, cos you gotta change.

You realise how much you hate Airports after letting the train take the strain.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Loco2 is a useful train ticket booking app and covers much of Europe. They also provide country by country rail travel guides l, within the app.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Don't bother looking out the window! Dullest countryside I've ever seen.

Lovely towns though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just buy a ticket card at any train station. Its insanely cheap compared to UK prices so that should not really be a worry.

I went last year and travelled on the train a fair bit, and that is just not the case. It really isn't "insanely cheap compared to UK prices" at all. It's marginally less expensive (especially when you factor in the weakness of the £) but is considerably cleaner, more efficient and better all round experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here