Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bas Savage's tank of petrol

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Those were the days.

Hoyte was possibly the worst player I think I’ve ever seen in an Albion shirt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

His first half performance in the Glenn Murray demolition of Wycombe was so so so bad I remember almost having a hernia about it at the time. I still get a little wound up about it when I hear his name.

However that game is one of my fondest and oddest Albion memories that sums up the ridiculousness of those first two seasons of Gus.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Great 1.0 win at Gillingham when Bas scored. Evening game and the away end temporary stand was rocking !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Those were the days.

Hoyte was possibly the worst player I think I’ve ever seen in an Albion shirt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worse than Ashley Neal or Mahoney-Johnstone? I think Hoyte had the ability but was just lazy and didnt use it the others didnt even have the ability. M-J did well out of football I am told and now works for BA..

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Worse than Ashley Neal or Mahoney-Johnstone?

Mahoney-Johnson has to be a serious contender for worst player, signed on loan as a striker but was so useless he ended up filling in at left back a few times. If we were paying for him anyway, we might as well get some use out of him! Back in the days before squad numbers in the football league, he played a few games in the number 9, and then a few in the number 3. Absolute rubbish.

:albion2:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Didn't it cause a rumpus because he celebrated in front of their bench, and they were mourning a player who had died just a few days before?

it wasn't just in front of their bench- that stand at Hartlepool is only a few rows deep and the grieving family were sat directly behind the dug out :eek:

it was a very emotionally charged match- and capped off with an incredible goal from Savage. I'm sure he meant nothing sinister with his celebration he was just a happy go lucky guy

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Didn't it cause a rumpus because he celebrated in front of their bench, and they were mourning a player who had died just a few days before?

If memory serves I think it was Tommy Elphick’s celebration that upset them most as it was right in front of the family of the lad who had died. What a goal from Bas though. Never had the ball under control, amazing shot at our end and the Albion fans going mad. One of my favourite away moments watching the Albion. There was quite a lot of hostility outside after the game though.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
My favourite Bas memory was a 90th minute rampage down the left wing away at Cheltenham in the FA Cup, crossing for *insert players name here* to slam home an equaliser and take the tie to a replay at Withdean (which we won :))

*looked it up, Doug Loft. Heady days.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If memory serves I think it was Tommy Elphick’s celebration that upset them most as it was right in front of the family of the lad who had died. What a goal from Bas though. Never had the ball under control, amazing shot at our end and the Albion fans going mad. One of my favourite away moments watching the Albion. There was quite a lot of hostility outside after the game though.

Tommy Elphick didn't score. The first goal was a Hartlepool og.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Glen Thomas. Fact.

One of the greatest debates still raging.

Right up there with;

The Beatles or The Stones
Coke or Pepsi
Maggie or Scargill
Sickness or Diarrhea

Who is the worst ever Albion player

Ashley Neal or Glen Thomas?

Open and shut case for me, we will never see a player as bad as Ashley Neal in an Albion shirt.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
One of the greatest debates still raging.

Right up there with;

The Beatles or The Stones
Coke or Pepsi
Maggie or Scargill
Sickness or Diarrhea

Who is the worst ever Albion player

Ashley Neal or Glen Thomas?

Open and shut case for me, we will never see a player as bad as Ashley Neal in an Albion shirt.

That keeper from Hibs was rather useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
No, but it was Tommy's celebration of Bas' goal that got them riled up.

yeh Elphick went absolutely mad from memory and possibly tore off his black armband

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
yeh Elphick went absolutely mad from memory and possibly tore off his black armband

I don’t think Tommy meant anything by it. Just had a bit of an off day in the empathy department.
Match winning goals like the one that day were few and far between on awaydays in those times so it was difficult to keep it together. Come to think of it not much has changed about our away results apart from a lack of Bas Savage genius.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here