Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Should we treat fly tippers in a similar way?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Rabid anti-smokers should develop a sense of proportion.

(Non-smokers are fine, and hopefully enjoying their new largely non-smoking environment. It's just the fanatical hardliners ("Please will you go and have your cigarette on the other side of the dual carriageway, past all those diesel lorries; we can't open our window on the tenth floor because of your cigarette. Diesel fumes? - no, we hadn't noticed............")
Ha so true Im glad I live in London loads smoke and it’s well catered for.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
People do still ignore deterrents though. Kent County Council are charging on soil, rubble, plasterboard and hardcore now, £4 a bag or item, limited to 5 items a day (£6 for plasterboard). This'll be the thin end of the wedge IMO. Once they start charging for this, it won't be long before they start charging for other household stuff and electricals, and then other councils will soon follow suit. Its an untapped revenue stream that SHOULD already be covered by our council tax.

But we all know how these things go. Its pretty much inevitable that charging will lead to more flytipping IMO.

Adur District Council started to charge likewise a year or so ago..I think they were forced to withdraw it ..not sure how it stands now...also they have restricted the hours my local ‘tip’ is closed Monday and Tuesday with shorter hours on the days they are open..and as from September household waste will be collected fortnightly instead of weekly .....

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Adur District Council started to charge likewise a year or so ago..I think they were forced to withdraw it ..not sure how it stands now...also they have restricted the hours my local ‘tip’ is open ..closed Monday and Tuesday with shorter hours on the days they are open..and as from September household waste will be collected fortnightly instead of weekly .....

Thats my local tip as well (next to B&Q). I got caught out earlier this year trying to dump a load of garden waste on the Monday without realising it was shut. I had to drive around with a car full of branches, ivy and hedge trimmings till the Wednesday when I could finally dump it all off. It absolutely STUNK the car out.

Sake.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
People do still ignore deterrents though. Kent County Council are charging on soil, rubble, plasterboard and hardcore now, £4 a bag or item, limited to 5 items a day (£6 for plasterboard). This'll be the thin end of the wedge IMO. Once they start charging for this, it won't be long before they start charging for other household stuff and electricals, and then other councils will soon follow suit. Its an untapped revenue stream that SHOULD already be covered by our council tax.

But we all know how these things go. Its pretty much inevitable that charging will lead to more flytipping IMO.

in East Sussex too. i have a couple bags of soil, contemplating if i pay the £8 or drop it in a ditch. i wont of course, after refusing to pay i'll get fed up with the sight and take to the tip in a mood. have to pay for garden waste bin too, think paving over the garden might solve that issue.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I had to drive around with a car full of branches, ivy and hedge trimmings till the Wednesday when I could finally dump it all off. It absolutely STUNK the car out.

Sake.

You get a lot of creepy crawlies in the car as well, I've had a massive ******* spider jump on me while driving, two days after going to the tip

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You get a lot of creepy crawlies in the car as well, I've had a massive ******* spider jump on me while driving, two days after going to the tip

Yep. I had a couple of snails mincing around under the back seat, and some woodlicey-type things. A right pain in the 'arris.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I have to drop it, otherwise it burns my fingers.

As long as you drop it into an ashtray or bin, that's fine. If you just drop it on the street, then you're a selfish **** :thumbsup:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As long as you drop it into an ashtray or bin, that's fine. If you just drop it on the street, then you're a selfish **** :thumbsup:

Righto, I have seen the errors of my ways and realise that I am filth.
I will try my best from now on.
Joking of course but to be fair, the accumulation of butts on the pavements outside pubs and offices is just awful, and that is from an expert smoker.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Righto, I have seen the errors of my ways and realise that I am filth.
I will try my best from now on.
Joking of course but to be fair, the accumulation of butts on the pavements outside pubs and offices is just awful, and that is from an expert smoker.

Exactly. It really is disgusting. I don't understand why so many smokers don't see it as littering.
I was walking along a pavement a couple of weeks and this guy flicked his lit cigarette butt right off me and in to the road without looking. I give him an earful and he did at least apologise, but I'm willing to bet it hasn't made him change his ways.
It's the same with chewing gum. Why can't people take a bit of pride in their surroundings?

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
In Spain there is absolutely no need to dispose of old appliances, or anything, this way. Our area will collect anything twice a week from outside your house, household rubbish collected 3 times a week and we have a local 'limpio' where you may take anything to dispose of f.o.c., they even help you unload it. I just don't understand the UK councils attitude, all it does is encourage fly tipping.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
With councils now starting to charge people to dump non-commercial waste, unfortunately this problem is only going to get worse.

This was obvious beforehand, thick as shite Wealden DC and Kent CC arrogantly bringing in charges for dumping hard core with them at their recycling sites.

BBC SE covered this last week, the amount of hard core being dumped down country lanes and on farms has grown hugely in the last year in areas under those councils.

el punal

Rabid anti-smokers should develop a sense of proportion.

(Non-smokers are fine, and hopefully enjoying their new largely non-smoking environment. It's just the fanatical hardliners ("Please will you go and have your cigarette on the other side of the dual carriageway, past all those diesel lorries; we can't open our window on the tenth floor because of your cigarette. Diesel fumes? - no, we hadn't noticed............")

While we’re on the fag theme does anyone remember the classic announcement made at cinemas (Odeon/ABC?) in the 1970s that advised :

“For patrons who do not wish to smoke seats on the right hand side of the auditorium have been designated as no smoking areas.”

Cough! Splutter! Wheeze! Gasp! :mad::facepalm:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Exactly. It really is disgusting. I don't understand why so many smokers don't see it as littering.
I was walking along a pavement a couple of weeks and this guy flicked his lit cigarette butt right off me and in to the road without looking. I give him an earful and he did at least apologise, but I'm willing to bet it hasn't made him change his ways.
It's the same with chewing gum. Why can't people take a bit of pride in their surroundings?

Chewing gum I totally agree with as it is very expensive to clean off the pavement and it looks awful.
Mrs Chopper used to work for Wrigley in marketing, they tried there very best to stop it and at one point they were going to get charged for it if I remember correctly.
Litter is not good but at least unlike chewing gum it can be swept up.
Do it or spit in Singapore and you will get 10 lashes.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I really hope that you guys are not watching neighbours from hell on ITV at the moment, I just channel hopped into it and it was all about fly tipping, a mattress was thrown into a neighbours front garden!
If you want your piss to boil watch it or record it on +1.
Back to fags, we have mentioned pubs and offices but is there a worse or sadder site than patients outside the front of a hospital, with a huge no smoking sign, still in their dressing gowns and attached to drips, puffing away and throwing the butts on the pavement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here