Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Should we treat fly tippers in a similar way?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Man ordered to collect fridge he threw off Spanish cliff, and fined £41,000.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49248764

Bloody well done the Spanish - yes we should. The scumbags that do this really get on my nerves - very, very common in Mid Sussex, see it all the time on the country lanes (around a town that has a very good tip - from the debris that I see, looks mostly like either random people having clear-outs, or cowboy builders not wanting to pay the charges at the tip). MSDC have a team that seem to spend all their time responding to fly-tipping incidents (there's one road nearby that gets at least one or two piles of crap a week). I reported one nob-end that was dumping stuff in another 'popular' spot for it (and gave him a few choice words as I went past)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Should throw him off the cliff, closely followed by all the fat reps and chavs slinging their cans of Red Bull, Costa cups and McDonald's wrappers out of their car windows.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Tough. Commit crime, get mate to video it, stick footage on social media. What could possibly go wrong?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
With councils now starting to charge people to dump non-commercial waste, unfortunately this problem is only going to get worse.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
With councils now starting to charge people to dump non-commercial waste, unfortunately this problem is only going to get worse.

It won’t be a problem if councils fine people £41k for fly tipping. They will be able to afford to employ enforcers and appropriate sites to hopefully eradicate it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Anyone who drops a cigarette butt should get the same treatment too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Rabid anti-smokers should develop a sense of proportion.

(Non-smokers are fine, and hopefully enjoying their new largely non-smoking environment. It's just the fanatical hardliners ("Please will you go and have your cigarette on the other side of the dual carriageway, past all those diesel lorries; we can't open our window on the tenth floor because of your cigarette. Diesel fumes? - no, we hadn't noticed............")

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It won’t be a problem if councils fine people £41k for fly tipping. They will be able to afford to employ enforcers and appropriate sites to hopefully eradicate it.

People do still ignore deterrents though. Kent County Council are charging on soil, rubble, plasterboard and hardcore now, £4 a bag or item, limited to 5 items a day (£6 for plasterboard). This'll be the thin end of the wedge IMO. Once they start charging for this, it won't be long before they start charging for other household stuff and electricals, and then other councils will soon follow suit. Its an untapped revenue stream that SHOULD already be covered by our council tax.

But we all know how these things go. Its pretty much inevitable that charging will lead to more flytipping IMO.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
People do still ignore deterrents though. Kent County Council are charging on soil, rubble, plasterboard and hardcore now, £4 a bag or item, limited to 5 items a day (£6 for plasterboard). This'll be the thin end of the wedge IMO. Once they start charging for this, it won't be long before they start charging for other household stuff and electricals, and then other councils will soon follow suit. Its an untapped revenue stream that SHOULD already be covered by our council tax.

But we all know how these things go. Its pretty much inevitable that charging will lead to more flytipping IMO.

They're, currently, only allowed to charge for "non household / construction waste"

https://environmentjournal.online/articles/charge-not-charge-diy-waste/

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

(Non-smokers are fine, and hopefully enjoying their new largely non-smoking environment. It's just the fanatical hardliners ("Please will you go and have your cigarette on the other side of the dual carriageway, past all those diesel lorries; we can't open our window on the tenth floor because of your cigarette. Diesel fumes? - no, we hadn't noticed............")

My neighbours 2 doors away smoke, and as far as I'm aware they're the only smokers in our street. When they smoke in their garden, and I am inside with the windows open, I can routinely smell the cigarette smoke inside my house.

It's a really antisocial habit.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The fine was actually only 7 Euros, they're just factoring in how much the pound will be worth by the end of the year.

Suggest you buy 700 euros now for approx £640 and if you`re correct sell year end for £4m....

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I always pay to get rid of my waste, the most I've ever paid is about £180 for a huge bathroom refurb which I thought was pretty reasonable. Utter scumbags

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I always pay to get rid of my waste, the most I've ever paid is about £180 for a huge bathroom refurb which I thought was pretty reasonable. Utter scumbags

Well, your customer does, by way of you including it in your costing, presumably!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

How does this relate to dropping cigarette butts on the floor? I'm not a rabid anti-smoker, people can smoke if they choose to. I am anti-LITTER though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here