Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Customer Service, Whatever Happened To It?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
A few years back I purchased new electricals for the kitchen from Currys, hob, oven & extractor. The Extractor was obviously ex demo and so that was going back. I installed the built in oven* but that didn't work correctly either so that was going back. Bottom line being they came out and collected the oven and extractor but gave me a refund on the full invoice. Free £350 hob.
I then went to my local Euronics and paid a little more but got real personal service including wiring in the oven*.
*Only do this yourself if you know what you're doing. I do.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Last Saturday morning, our much loved washing machine, after nearly twenty years of loyal service, turned up it's toes and died. Obviously with a new load of washing due to be done we needed a new one PDQ. So off we set for our local Currys in Horsham.

When we arrived, bearing in mind it was mid morning on a Saturday, pretty much what l would have expected to be the store's busiest time, there wasn't a soul to be seen, no customers and certainly no staff. Having located the new machine we were interested in buying l set out to try and locate a staff member. Eventually a young girl appeared, looked about 15 but must have been a bit older, and l asked her a question about the said washing machine, chewing gum she looked up at me and replied 'sorry l'm new, l dunno'. I proceeded to ask another question, her reply was the same. When l asked her if maybe there was someone else there who actually might know the answers to my not very difficult questions she thought for a moment and then replied, 'well there is always the manager but he is a bit of a ****'

Not believing for a moment that she had really said that l looked towards my wife, who's face confirmed that she had indeed used those words. Later on having consulted Mr. **** the manager, the young girl said to me 'l don't like working ere, it's borin'. Don't worry l replied I've a feeling you aren't going to be asked to work here for much longer anyway!

Customer service, a thing of the past?
It has been replaced by low wages and corporate buxxshxt.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
On Sunday I visited an Asics store with my 9 year old daughter to buy her a new pair of running shoes.

After browsing the seemingly endless options and alternatives for a while, image my complete outrage when a young female assistant asked if we needed any help, before selecting the perfect shoe for weight, style and discipline, measuring my daughter's feet perfectly and advising on the best sizes. And then she obtained us a 10% discount. And all this was done in an engaged, friendly and competent manner.

Frankly, her first class customer service ethos and excellent product knowledge is letting the whole retail sector down. :nono:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Our local euronics store (QDA in Peacehaven) is a joy to shop in. Polite, knowledgeable staff and although not necessarily the cheapest still good value. Plus a great install service. Might be worth trying your local store.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On Sunday I visited an Asics store with my 9 year old daughter to buy her a new pair of running shoes.

After browsing the seemingly endless options and alternatives for a while, image my complete outrage when a young female assistant asked if we needed any help, before selecting the perfect shoe for weight, style and discipline, measuring my daughter's feet perfectly and advising on the best sizes. And then she obtained us a 10% discount. And all this was done in an engaged, friendly and competent manner.

Frankly, her first class customer service ethos and excellent product knowledge is letting the whole retail sector down. :nono:

How long did she let her run, videoed, on a treadmill for before helping her decide ?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So one Saturday kid is representative of all customer service, ever?

No - but it is certainly on the decline.

Not down to the ignorant kids; it's the poor standard of management who don't train and manage the kids.

Poundland - shop was a mess, loads of packing strewn all over the floor, unattended rolling cages abandoned around the store blocking shelves. Made purchase and pointed out the state of the shop. I was expecting "I will pass on your comments to the manager" at the least. What I got (when she had finished the text she was sending) was "Ain't my job innit"!

Not an isolated incident by any means. If stores are going to employ dumbos then they have to manage them properly.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Normally those kinda places swam you!
3 people came up to me in PC world last week pfft

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yes l know l can do that, it doesn't make this total lack of good customer service right though!

Cowfold me old mate you need to understand the rules of posting general opinions on here, if you had posted “Customer Service Alive and well in (insert company name here) the cretinous individuals that stalk these type of threads would be suggesting the complete opposite [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Thread filed under well known facts of life:

a) if you pay peanuts, you will get monkeys
b) at some point in life you will experience a **** for a manager

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Currys? Didn't even know they were still going. John Lewis a better bet on the high street. Better warranty generally too - got 5 years on my Miele

Could have typed cooker, fridge, freezer, whatever. But chose to type Miele, look at me, look at me! :lol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Could have typed cooker, fridge, freezer, whatever. But chose to type Miele, look at me, look at me! :lol:

Yes because John Lewis typically offer 5 years on Miele and 2 years on most other brands, so of course the brand is important.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Was in Homebase last weekend.
A sales assistant asked if he could be of help.
When I told him I wanted decking, he punched me in the face.

What gives? :shrug:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There’s your mistake, right there........

If you know what you want, use AO.com

Great service, next day delivery and installation and probably cheaper.......

This. Though their insurance sales calls get on my tits a bit. Fridge, oven and dryer all from AO.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here