Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Brighton's vanishing pubs

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Yes I spotted this today, just started. Good site should be interesting to older posters in particular.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
this is a good post..

Carlton Hill 1890
1 Carlton Arms
16 George 4th Inn
29-30 Sack of Shavings
32 Alma Tavern
47 Victory inn
52 Devonshire inn
57 Queens park tavern
60 Rising Sun
61 Morning Star
80 Italian Arms
84 John Bull Tavern
90 Foresters Arms
92 Carlton Tavern
94 Brewers Arms
95 Star Tavern

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
this is a good post..

Carlton Hill 1890
1 Carlton Arms
16 George 4th Inn
29-30 Sack of Shavings
32 Alma Tavern
47 Victory inn
52 Devonshire inn
57 Queens park tavern
60 Rising Sun
61 Morning Star
80 Italian Arms
84 John Bull Tavern
90 Foresters Arms
92 Carlton Tavern
94 Brewers Arms
95 Star Tavern

I don't think there are any there now. I seem to recall that there was one that shut down about four or five years ago but my memory could be faulty there.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Can't see a mention of the "Sea House Shades" the entrance of which was under Kings Road halfway down a ramp from King's Road to the Beach.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Very sad subject I will join the FB page.
Lewes Road area has been decimated. The Lecturn, The Ship, The White Crow, Racehill Inn, The Victoria.The Newmarket, White Admiral and many more. All places where people met and friendships developed. Plenty of other options that could have been used to build flats and Doctors Surgery's but these were these easy profit options for developers. Has to stop

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The day the anti smokers won pubs died.

i think thats too simplistic, though a factor. the issues for pubs are many other forms of entertainment, social spaces like coffee shop and gyms, and technology. the millennials arent going out as much, they'd happily stay at home tweeting each other from the sofa than meet up down the pub.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i think thats too simplistic, though a factor. the issues for pubs are many other forms of entertainment, social spaces like coffee shop and gyms, and technology. the millennials arent going out as much, they'd happily stay at home tweeting each other from the sofa than meet up down the pub.

It's part of a long-standing trend: about 90% of the lost pubs closed well before the smoking ban. People have been drinking less - when I started work, it was quite common for people to go to the pub at lunch and come back smelling of booze. Who does that these days? And they'd stop off for a couple on the way home - not so usual now.

The biggest factor of all is the rocketing cost of property, the returns on developing flats far exceed the profits from a pub.

Very sad subject I will join the FB page.
Lewes Road area has been decimated. The Lecturn, The Ship, The White Crow, Racehill Inn, The Victoria.The Newmarket, White Admiral and many more. All places where people met and friendships developed. Plenty of other options that could have been used to build flats and Doctors Surgery's but these were these easy profit options for developers. Has to stop

Some of those are a bit away from Lewes Rd - the White Admiral was about a mile away (and closed mainly because it flooded and the cost of repairing it would be astronomical), For reasons mentioned above, some of these were not going to be economically viable given new habits: how could two pubs next to each other survive? And some of these deserved to die a death: the Allen/Counting House/White Crow was always a grim place. The pubs that remain in that area - the Bear and the Gladstone are both pretty decent boozers so there is money to be made ... still.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Some nice photos on that link, sad that many of the buildings have been demolished.

image.jpg

I like this photo, anyone know when this pub closed?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Great link that, cheers. Nice to see a, er, thumbs up to The Cobbler's Thumb, possibly the world's worst Aussie theme pub. Oh, and somebody has oddly gone all misty-eyed over The Bath Arms, which was still there last time I looked :lol:

I've never been in another pub which smells of piss as much as The Bath Arms. Horrific.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The day the anti smokers won pubs died.

Nah... I am a smoker myself but thats not the reason pubs are dying. Its a consequence of digital society in general and social media in particular. Not only is it horribly boring going out with people staring at their phones every five minutes, it has also changed the brains of everyone. Drinking in a bar with friends is rewarding but is it really as rewarding as escaping life with a Netflix show? You need an extra couple of beer to talk with the girls? Not anymore, because you only approach them online - you're a pussy regardless if you're drunk or not.

**** digital society.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
It's part of a long-standing trend: about 90% of the lost pubs closed well before the smoking ban. People have been drinking less - when I started work, it was quite common for people to go to the pub at lunch and come back smelling of booze. Who does that these days? And they'd stop off for a couple on the way home - not so usual now.

The biggest factor of all is the rocketing cost of property, the returns on developing flats far exceed the profits from a pub.

Some of those are a bit away from Lewes Rd - the White Admiral was about a mile away (and closed mainly because it flooded and the cost of repairing it would be astronomical), For reasons mentioned above, some of these were not going to be economically viable given new habits: how could two pubs next to each other survive? And some of these deserved to die a death: the Allen/Counting House/White Crow was always a grim place. The pubs that remain in that area - the Bear and the Gladstone are both pretty decent boozers so there is money to be made ... still.

My god. I haven’t thought of the Allen Arms for years. Dingy dark place that was. Used to go in the Alex down there as well. Of course us posh nobs from Higher Bevendean would never dare go in the Ship, Bear or Hussar for fear of getting beaten up. Not to mention all the pigeon fanciers in the Newmarket. Happy days of my youth though

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here