Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wayne Rooney’s Derby County

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I feel old when there is talk of Rooney going into Management as I was in my 30s when I recall him breaking into Everton side as a 16 year old

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I can see the half time team talk going well...

"So, what did he mumble?'

"Dunno...."

All whilst the hookers and lap dancers wander round the directors box waiting for him to finish with his football thingy and get drunk... :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

SAC

May 21, 2014
If the wages are sustainable (obviously a big if) then it's a good move for Derby. Like others have stated, can't see him being a successful coach.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I really doubt he'd have much influence in motivating his team

"erm, err yeeah, gerrlate geme lads, err, errm, dohn't lews err eemm errr eemmm fowcus lads, errrm joost keep going lads"

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Apparently a clever ploy to get round FFP. As coaches wages are not counted so half as a coach, half as a player. Mel Morris is a clever chap isn't he

If the wages are sustainable (obviously a big if) then it's a good move for Derby. Like others have stated, can't see him being a successful coach.

Check out which squad number he's been given.....

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I know it sounds like it's a ploy to get round FFP, but when has the role of Player/Manager ever worked? especially in the higher leagues.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

I got a bit upset when I saw Wayne Rooney was leaving DC United until I noticed he will play to the end of the season. I'm traveling to Washington on 11 August to see LA Galaxy against DC United at Audi Field in DC. My brother-in-law and I are seeing both Washington Nationals baseball team play the Cincinnati Reds and DC United vs Galaxy. Nationals Park and Audi Field are about 1 kilometer from each other.

Cost for the football match is £51 for a seat at midfield in the fifth row.

Hope I don't run into President Trump. I might get myself arrested. Although I'm told he's most likely going to be in Florida at that time.

DC_United_Buzzard_Point_Stadium_satellite_view.jpg

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I know it sounds like it's a ploy to get round FFP, but when has the role of Player/Manager ever worked? especially in the higher leagues.

Cocu will still be the manager, sounds like Rooney will just be on the coaching staff as well as being registered to play for them.

I think its a bit of an odd one. I dunno if he's signed some kind of pre-contract to join them, but if by January Derby are already going great guns, then parachuting a 34 year old Rooney in (and thats a 34 year old with a LOT of miles on the clock) might not be the best move. It'll create a right old circus around the club, and could end up being disruptive IMO.

One to watch though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here