Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Grace Jones' Set At LoveBN1Fest In Preston Park Today

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Absolutely breathtaking! Brilliant and bonkers in equal measure. Featured strap-ons, flagellation, extended hoola hooping and GJ charging through the crowd on the shoulders of a security guard. Not to mention glugging red wine and smoking a spliff handed up to her from someone in the front row. And all well before the watershed :ohmy:

Got a TUMULTUOUS ovation at the end. Utterly impossible act for Jessie J to follow. Talk about growing old disgracefully :lolol:

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Fabulously nuts as expected - but all done with a smile on her face, which wasn’t
Top drawer entertainment - glad I went

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Always thought her music was bang average to be honest. And she was shit in View to a Kill.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Best thing she ever did was in that ad, when someone drove a Citroen into her gob.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Absolutely breathtaking! Brilliant and bonkers in equal measure. Featured strap-ons, flagellation, extended hoola hooping and GJ charging through the crowd on the shoulders of a security guard. Not to mention glugging red wine and smoking a spliff handed up to her from someone in the front row. And all well before the watershed :ohmy:

Got a TUMULTUOUS ovation at the end. Utterly impossible act for Jessie J to follow. Talk about growing old disgracefully :lolol:

Anything about the actual music? Or is she just a sideshow?

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Was surprisingly very good - she still has a voice
Good way to spend a Sunday evening, dancing whilst a near-naked pensioner dons a huge strap-on then hoola hoops and smokes a spliff without missing a note.
Pull up to the Bumper, Love is the drug, Slave to the rhythm...all classics. Wish she’d have done She’s lost control though

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Little doubt that Grace Jones outrageous theatrics could never work without being underpinned by some serious musicianship, both then and now, but the music never takes centre stage. The songs last night were taken largely from the singer's classic early-80's albums 'Warm Leatherette' and 'Nightclubbing'. If you really want to know about the music, and indeed Ms Grace Jones hypnotic robotic persona, then it's all pretty much encapsulated in the magnificent cover of The Pretenders 'Private Life', featuring the brittle stripped-back dub rhythm section of Sly'n'Robbie. Now there's a track that just rolls back the years. That was the highlight for me last night. That and discovering that Grace Jones live is in fact great fun :lol:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

What was the rest of the festival like? I really must go, I walked nearby about 4-ish and saw several young people in Grace Jones type outfits (I think!) My friend was on their allotment in Hove and saw GJ get into a helicopter after

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What was the rest of the festival like? I really must go, I walked nearby about 4-ish and saw several young people in Grace Jones type outfits (I think!) My friend was on their allotment in Hove and saw GJ get into a helicopter after

Caught the tail end of Grace Carter's set, and pretty good it sounded too. One for the future. Scottish pop pixie Nina Nesbitt was pretty decent also, even if her in-between-song chat was all about the familar is-he-really-going-out-with-her broken relationship stuff, suitably updated for Generation Instagram. The impressionable 15 year old with us loved the all-singing all-dancing boyband Rak Su, some kind of previous Ex Factor winners apparently. House Gospel Choir's trademark high energy set was sadly marred by malfunction of the mic shared around for the various band members solo spots. After much gesticulating by the audience towards the sound desk they finally twigged and sorted the mic out - just in time for the lead vocalist to thank in turn all the members of their crew... including 'the sound manager'. Sake! Grace Jones you already read about. As for headliner Jessie J, well sadly nothing to report there due to an unfortunate 15-year-old's-mobile-dropped-down-chemical-toilet scenario that led to an early bath. Literally, seeing as how she tried to fish it out with her hand :sick: Tho I dare say Grace Jones would have proved to be an impossibly hard act to follow.

Yeah you should really try and go next year - especially if your street qualifies for free residents tickets. It's great fun! :thumbsup:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Grace Jones and Iggy Pop are both amazing live and neither has lost it with time, if anything they mature with age.

Slave to the rhythm sounded pitch perfect all the way over at East Brighton Golf Course last night while walking the dog.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Not a bad bod for a 71 year old. Not even a hint of a bingo wing.

Brighton-Pride-news-Ladies-and-Gentlemen-....-heeeeeeres-Grace-Jones.jpegū

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here