Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouldy Boots View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to say Weststander, although it wasn't my profession, Xero was much more user-friendly, I used Tas software before that and that took a bit of time to get our heads around it, Sage was a notch more complicated for your average bod than Tas.

So I will have to back Pavillionaire on this one.
    TAS and Quickbooks were/are loved by people for personal finances and some tiny businesses. Drawn also by the ultra low cost.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      sage used to be ultra low cost. buy it for £30 and it would last years. Nowadays you seem to need regular paid for updates and phone help which aint cheap.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
      sage used to be ultra low cost. buy it for £30 and it would last years. Nowadays you seem to need regular paid for updates and phone help which aint cheap.
      They exploited their domination and bought up competitors. But updates never cost, with phone support a standard add-on of Sage Support.

TAS, xero and Quickbooks will always win on price.

3 Not allowed!
      Bottom line is if your business is going to be bookkeeping for clients who themselves will be using the software to import bank statements, produce invoices or try and submit VAT Returns then the client will be happier with Xero than anything else, so training in Xero makes sense.

However, if you plan to be an in-house bookkeeper for a large employer then there's merit in having Sage knowledge.
      "Unlawful, void and of no effect"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      TAS and Quickbooks were/are loved by people for personal finances and some tiny businesses. Drawn also by the ultra low cost.
      I was saying Xero is much better imo nothing to do with size of business we had lots of supplier and customers and over 1500 products and It was more than capable and easy to use and also recommended by our accountant.
      was out on 9,999 but back after special request from Whitechapel.

0 Not allowed!
      Self employed, get an accountant

2 Not allowed!
      Thanks all - I’m sensing that AAT is the way to go!!
      "It all ended Hereford United 1, Brighton & Hove Albion 1. We've got dogs on the field, we've got Hereford fans coming across to attack the Brighton players, we've got riot police, we've got stewards, we've got everything here that football shouldn't have. The Brighton players have gone across to their fans, and Albion remain in the football league"

2 Not allowed!
      Another vote for AAT. Employed several bookkeepers over the years; no AAT? No interview.
      2A. K2-18b
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Study AAT, not the others, it’s THE professional body. Even if your wife only see out a level or two (there are exams), it will give her a great grounding and potential clients/employers will often recognise AAT ... possibly the first thing they look out for.

https://www.aat.org.uk/training-providers/search
      There are very reputable organisations providing excellent distant learning courses.

Give the AAT a call for free advice.

Please don’t go by price, by selecting the other bookkeeping ‘bodies’. The investment will be worth it, AAT giving your wife the key skills, and often leading to a greater hourly charge out rate.

Good luck to Mrs HHGull!
      This, with absolute bells on it. AAT would be my preferred choice if I were looking for a bookkeeper. It also opens up a lot more doors for when your children get older, because many Accounts Assistant roles require AAT - pay can be pretty good too. AAT will give your wife a better understanding of the transactions, meaning she'd be able to provide a better service (In my opinion at least)

It can be tough, but well worth it because it's a recognised qualification that's respected and will open plenty of doors in to the future. I have noticed more AAT billboards in my area too, so they may have better offers for courses as a result of a drive.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Yes, yes you have

LOL

I agree about the AAT.

I am quite fortunate in that I am being lined up as treasurer of my local golf club when I retire , so I need to get back to remembering double entry. Fnaaaar fnaaar. But of course it is all computerised nowadays.

Hope the OPs wife gets on ok but yes I would definitely look at AAT

I’ve been in the accounting/tax profession, sadly for over 30 years. I’ve seen that debate.

More important than anything is common sense, logic and getting things right first time by taking your time until you’re very competent. With a studied grounding in the logic/rules too.

I’ve seen people who could pass exams all the way to the highest level, but lacked common sense = woeful work.
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado