Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Article: Reasons to be Cheerful, 3-4-3

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I googled and found this

I was not disappointed, but indeed would be interesting reading the article.

edit: actually the music is shit and the background singers prevent me from hearing any lyrics, but it was a fun thing to write

edit 2: moved my initial edit to a new location and would like to add that I'm enjoying the second part of the song with a bit of blowing and guitars and funky bass etc.

edit 3: read the article. it was good.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Good article but I think you glossed over one of the key characteristics of Potterball (frequent changing of formation during the season and sometimes during games), instead you centre the article on one of his formations. It’s akin to focusing on a golfer’s use of the putter and ignoring his acumen with the other clubs.

If we are going to play true Potterball then his history demands us include his constant formation juggling as part of the overall concept. Check our his formations at Östersunds & Swansea on transfermarkt, it’s always change, change, change (although he does tend to have two favoured formations per season).

He played the 4-2-3-1 twenty six times in the league last season, fortunately we’ll all about as clueless as Watford as to whether or not he’ll start with that formation, the promising 3-4-3 or even something else completely different.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
It’s more of a 5-2-2-1 than a traditional 3-4-3. At least, it has been in pre season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A well-thought out and well-written piece. Almost had me feeling more positive (actually, credit to you, it did)......

I still disagree re Valencia, but that's just opinions. The whole wing-back thing and 3 CB's concerns me. Basically, any time you have 3 CBs and players are pushed up, if we lose possession, the CB's are left in a dilemma, close the ball or hold the shape (that is why Chelsea made mincemeat of us when CH played it), also any forward worth his salt will sit in the gaps either side of the central CB. Valencia did this to good effect when they scored, and Fulham carved us open in the second half (though to be fair the players were learning at this stage).

If Deeney plays it will work, as he is not particularly mobile, but any meaningful movement will be a challenge, perhaps that is why Webster was signed (?more mobile).

But, enjoyable piece, thank you [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] - looking forward to Saturday...... A couple more offensive signings and I'll be really pumped......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good article but I think you glossed over one of the key characteristics of Potterball (frequent changing of formation during the season and sometimes during games), instead you centre the article on one of his formations. It’s akin to focusing on a golfer’s use of the putter and ignoring his acumen with the other clubs.

If we are going to play true Potterball then his history demands us include his constant formation juggling as part of the overall concept. Check our his formations at Östersunds & Swansea on transfermarkt, it’s always change, change, change (although he does tend to have two favoured formations per season).

He played the 4-2-3-1 twenty six times in the league last season, fortunately we’ll all about as clueless as Watford as to whether or not he’ll start with that formation, the promising 3-4-3 or even something else completely different.

That's definitely another reason to be cheerful but this was probably more of an attempt to de-brief on pre-season. The two games I watched featured three centre backs. I have no doubt we'll be fluid a few games in to the new season.

It’s more of a 5-2-2-1 than a traditional 3-4-3. At least, it has been in pre season.

That's kind of what I was trying to text to my mate during Birmingham. Nail on head but it doesn't fit an Ian Dury song :wink:

A well-thought out and well-written piece. Almost had me feeling more positive (actually, credit to you, it did)......

I still disagree re Valencia, but that's just opinions. The whole wing-back thing and 3 CB's concerns me. Basically, any time you have 3 CBs and players are pushed up, if we lose possession, the CB's are left in a dilemma, close the ball or hold the shape (that is why Chelsea made mincemeat of us when CH played it), also any forward worth his salt will sit in the gaps either side of the central CB. Valencia did this to good effect when they scored, and Fulham carved us open in the second half (though to be fair the players were learning at this stage).

If Deeney plays it will work, as he is not particularly mobile, but any meaningful movement will be a challenge, perhaps that is why Webster was signed (?more mobile).

But, enjoyable piece, thank you [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] - looking forward to Saturday...... A couple more offensive signings and I'll be really pumped......

Cheers - let's hope we're both beaming by autumn.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Enjoyed that read, thanks!

One thing I didn’t think of, was our 3 centre backs going up for set pieces. That’s a good point you made, and hopefully we can capitalise.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Nice read, there’s lots to be excited about! It of course won’t all be rosy, but we have reason to believe we could be in for a fantastic and entertaining season. Roll on Saturday!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Good summary - with (hopefully) a couple of additions this week, I think we certainly have more reasons to be cheerful this season. With GP's tactical brain and fluid formations we could leave a few teams hit by his rhythm stick, and there's every hope we won't look back on this season and think 'what a waste'.
��

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Your obsession with me is becoming a concern. Especially for a mod.

You are consistently and conspicuously pessimistic, you are the poster boy for pessimism this pre-season.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
All these summation's are lovely, I just want to know if Propper will attempt to head the ball this season .

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
If we get Maupay, I’m really looking forward to having a fluid and interchangeable front three. Love Glenn but he lacks the mobility in that type of system if he needs to drop in or even swap into the wings.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here