Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Whaley Bridge.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
A few miles up the road,but the last 36 hours dry and yes after an awful lot of rain which will continue to flow down for the next few days. Genuine ask and there are a few Engineers here on NSC,yet surely if it was going to collapse it would have done by now ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Right back?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I was astonished to see this dam construction above quite a considerable sized settlement.

I didn't know such dams existed especially after seeing the destruction our bombers caused in the Ruhr during WW2.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
My next door neighbours, cousins, uncles, mother in laws, son, are ST holders and reckon he's shitehouse and we shouldn't sign him.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
A few miles up the road,but the last 36 hours dry and yes after an awful lot of rain which will continue to flow down for the next few days. Genuine ask and there are a few Engineers here on NSC,yet surely if it was going to collapse it would have done by now ?

Was never going to imho. Just some of the concrete slabs washed away. It’s been there about 150 years so I’m sure it’s seen worse.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I certainly would not live anywhere near below a dam.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
i did my honours dissertation on the history of embankment dams and designed a dozen large dams several years ago. So to Answer the original question, no it should not have collapsed by now but it still could. Getting the water away from the erosion was the first critical item and then unloading the structure (dropping the water) is next. As it was designed in 19th century it may be over designed as it was empirical design as most geotechnical engineering hadn’t been fully developed so it is probably over sized. Due to failure of dams leading to deaths last century / early part of this century, all dams above a certain size have to inspected under the reservoirs act 1975, normally once a decade in detail and for a dam this size revisited every year. So this dam should be on an annual inspection and 10 year detailed review (which would have involved recalculating spillway capacity). Looking at the pictures, the spillway must have had a weakness to let water under it which then lifted rest of concrete slabs then erosion occurred.

I expect there will be several Technical review papers in the future behind the failure, explaining the why

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Chances of getting household / business insurance if you live or trade in Whaley Bridge, at anything other than astronomical premiums, must now be close to zero.

Chances of selling your home for anything like market value must also be close to zero.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
See what I mean [MENTION=15579]Albumen[/MENTION]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here