Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter in the Guardian

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good read, thanks for posting. Interesting times coming up, really looking forward to it.

Totally off the wall stuff for an English football manager but it all makes sense, we’ll soon find out if it works in practice.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It seems revolutionary, but I can't help go back to the approach of the likes of Clough and Busby, who actually were more about the players and their well being than tactics and coaching. I'm not saying this wasn't important, but they had Jimmy Murphy and Peter Taylor to do that. Clough would excuse Tony Woodcock from training so they could play squash together (Brian was a superb player apparently), Busby again like Potter with an impressive record of getting the best out of young players.

It seems a departure from an obsession with statistics, marginal gains, etc. etc. and just good old fashioned understanding someone to get the best out of them.

The things he's said about the previous manager, complimenting him on the foundations laid, praising the work previously done all points to the fact we have another real gent in charge of the first team.

I'm increasingly confident that he has something about him that will trigger the best out of the players, whether their best is good enough will of course remain to be seen.

el punal

Everything that has been written and said about Graham Potter has been promising, I sincerely hope that his management style leads to better performances and results. I must admit I’m really looking forward to the coming season, and pray that it’s not going to be a damp squib.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
It seems revolutionary, but I can't help go back to the approach of the likes of Clough and Busby, who actually were more about the players and their well being than tactics and coaching. I'm not saying this wasn't important, but they had Jimmy Murphy and Peter Taylor to do that. Clough would excuse Tony Woodcock from training so they could play squash together (Brian was a superb player apparently), Busby again like Potter with an impressive record of getting the best out of young players. .

Surprising, but also good to hear about Clough. I'd always assumed the cuff round the ear, 'man up, lad' approach was his.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Surprising, but also good to hear about Clough. I'd always assumed the cuff round the ear, 'man up, lad' approach was his.

Some brilliant stories about Clough from his players in their books. Frank Clark got a bollocking once because the players had been given a day off to relax and rest, and Clough found out he'd gone out for a run!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
When Swansea played Manchester City in the FA Cup last season, Potter asked his players in the pre-match meeting: “How do you want to die?”

:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sounds like he'll have all our players sat cross-legged round a campfire smoking hippy crack, chanting Kum Ba Yah and weaving daisychains into each others hair, before heading off to a crocheting workshop to make some vegan yoga mats.

I'm IN.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It seems revolutionary, but I can't help go back to the approach of the likes of Clough and Busby, who actually were more about the players and their well being than tactics and coaching. I'm not saying this wasn't important, but they had Jimmy Murphy and Peter Taylor to do that. Clough would excuse Tony Woodcock from training so they could play squash together (Brian was a superb player apparently), Busby again like Potter with an impressive record of getting the best out of young players.

It seems a departure from an obsession with statistics, marginal gains, etc. etc. and just good old fashioned understanding someone to get the best out of them.

The things he's said about the previous manager, complimenting him on the foundations laid, praising the work previously done all points to the fact we have another real gent in charge of the first team.

I'm increasingly confident that he has something about him that will trigger the best out of the players, whether their best is good enough will of course remain to be seen.

Jeeez one positive article in the Guardian and you'd throw your own grandmother under a bus. :lol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Blimey, he is a tree hugging Grauniad reader!

Perfect for our right on football club!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Sounds like he'll have all our players sat cross-legged round a campfire smoking hippy crack, chanting Kum Ba Yah and weaving daisychains into each others hair, before heading off to a crocheting workshop to make some vegan yoga mats.

I'm IN.

You forget the weekly yoghurt knitting sessions. Compulsory. Or so I’ve heard.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Some brilliant stories about Clough from his players in their books. Frank Clark got a bollocking once because the players had been given a day off to relax and rest, and Clough found out he'd gone out for a run!

I’ll never forget getting a hair tousle and a “hello young man” from Clough when I was a 10 yr old playing for Birkenhead Boys at Forests training ground.

I think he ****ed off to the bar straight after mind.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’ll never forget getting a hair tousle and a “hello young man” from Clough when I was a 10 yr old playing for Birkenhead Boys at Forests training ground.

Somewhere on T'internet you need to find political comedian and obsessive Forest fan Matt Forde describing his 2 meetings with Clough.

You did well to get a "hello young man".

Sod it, I'll do the heavy lifting:-

[tweet]1109545629146075141[/tweet]

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here