Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tonight, should the club announce it's 'retiring' the number 2 shirt?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I quite like the idea. (although it's not a hill on which I'm prepared to die)

I'll keep running it up the flagpole, one day all you dinosaurs will have died off and I'll get my way!

I can just imagine the 'team' at the AMEX running rolling up the feckin great big banner. :lolol

You've achieved what Johnson can't - you've managed to unite Brexiteers and Remainers

Uniting the country, spouting bollox ? You'd be a shoo in.

Stat Brother for PM :thumbsup:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
If retiring numbers became a thing, imagine the team line up announcements in a few hundred years time

In goal, wearing shirt number 1 .............hundred and ninety three is........

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No wallowing in the past is my view, of course we shouldn’t retire the no 2 shirt :rolleyes:

Unless of course we are going to have marching bands, half time entertainment and commercial breaks every 15 mins with hot dog and burger sellers wandering amongst the crowd selling their wares and really really cheesy loud goal music *shudder*

Marching bands is an historically British thing though isn't? Wasn't that all part of the FA Cup final build up, the marching band ****ing up the turf before KO?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
No, great player, one of the best but "retiring " numbers should be a rare,ultimate accolade rather than a regular occurrence.

Agree we shouldn't retire but, to my knowledge, we've not ever retired a number so this would be a rare accolade. Unless you meant football in general needs to be a bit more tight fisted with this sort of thing.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
No, never

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No. And while we're about it, bring back 1 to 11 shirt numbers. At least then if a player wearing number 2 was in left midfield for example, you'd know he shouldn't be there :lolol:

Not always true, I'm sure in the 70s or early 80s Liverpool were playing a Eastern Bloc team in the European Cup and got the players to swap their usual numbers in an attempt to confuse the opposition

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Cucumbers

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Almost as bad an idea as Reading giving a number to the home crowd

Seem to vaguely recall that in the Withdean era the club did a thing whereby a fan - or somebody with more money than sense - paid to be allocated a squad number for the season. Or did I imagine that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here