Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If we do sign Webster, and Dan Burn plays well against against Valencia tonight...

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
...should he keep the shirt for the Watford game (and beyond) ?

I thought Burn did very well against Birmingham, and looked comfortable defending in wide spaces. Do the good folk of NSC think Potter will bring Webster in quickly, or wait and see how Burn starts the season? £22 million is an awful lot for a centre back sat on the bench...

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
For me whether Webster plays against Watford or anyone else we may sign between now and then - [emoji2958] - will signify the potentially biggest differences between CH and GP.

None of this bedding in nonsense just get him in the side. Bosh.

That and whether 2 of the 7 subs are under 23 years old.

[Yes [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] I know we disagree on this...]

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
im right in saying Webster has played a full pre season ?

In which case he will play vs Watford. If he signs today can he play tonight ?... if he can I would chuck him in.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As people know I wasnt impressed with Burn against BRUM I thought that he was our weak link so for me if Webster signs he plays on the right with Dunk on the left and Duffy in the centre as a back 3 or with Bernado at left back in a four.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Now lets get Maupay done today too :)

Im a fan of hoovering up the best from the Championship

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
As people know I wasnt impressed with Burn against BRUM I thought that he was our weak link so for me if Webster signs he plays on the right with Dunk on the left and Duffy in the centre.

Aahh I wondered who your new isn't up to the mark player would be this season....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As people know I wasnt impressed with Burn against BRUM I thought that he was our weak link so for me if Webster signs he plays on the right with Dunk on the left and Duffy in the centre as a back 3 or with Bernado at left back in a four.

I didn't think he put a foot wrong at Brum. Looked confident coming out with the ball, used it well, didn't get skinned, didn't give it away, stayed on his feet and showed good strength in possession. Yes it was only against a shite Championship side, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you think he stunk the place out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I didn't think he put a foot wrong at Brum. Looked confident coming out with the ball, used it well, didn't get skinned, didn't give it away, stayed on his feet and showed good strength in possession.
Yes, that's a pretty accurate summary.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I didn't think he put a foot wrong at Brum. Looked confident coming out with the ball, used it well, didn't get skinned, didn't give it away, stayed on his feet and showed good strength in possession. Yes it was only against a shite Championship side, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you think he stunk the place out.

Because he’s a left sided defender and there is only one person who knows about left sided defenders. If BG said he was crap he must have been.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I dont think that he stunk the place out but it was against a poor championship side and he looked adequate but we are playing in The Premier against better sides and need better players and I thought of the 3 he was the weakest so the most likely to be replaced.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I dont think that he stunk the place out but it was against a poor championship side and he looked adequate but we are playing in The Premier against better sides and need better players and I thought of the 3 he was the weakest so the most likely to be replaced.

I don't think being adequate in a pre-season friendly is any cause for concern. I'm not sure what else he could have done to improve on his performance, being as we were in the driving seat for 80-90% of the game and rarely under any sustained pressure. He didn't make any mistakes as far as I could see, so I wouldn't be writing off his season based on his performance last week. Obviously much bigger tests lie ahead, but I didn't see anything that worried me.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Apart from the fact that Jutkiewicz could and should have scored 2 or 3 goals before half time.

Bit unfair to suggest those 2 or 3 goals would be down to Burn, if I'm reading you right?

The ball would have had to have gone through 7 other players before reaching the defence.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If we play a 3, we sign Webster and we don't lose Dunk, it will be Duffy-Dunk-Webster.

You don't break your transfer record by £4m on a CB unless you think he's slotting straight into the starting XI somewhere.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Apart from the fact that Jutkiewicz could and should have scored 2 or 3 goals before half time.

And however he played against Brum (quite well), it's fairly clear, given his size more than anything else, that his general mobility isn't going to be his strongest point against top class forwards. But let's see how he get's on. Clearly GP thinks we need better.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Has he SINGED yet?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
It may sound like stating the obvious, but the signing of Webster means 1 of two things. Dunk is on his way, or we are definitely playing 3 at the back this season. There is no way we are buying a £20m CB to sit on the bench.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here