Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] By election result

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is strange as opinion of her is polarised. To me, it seems Kuenssberg is pro-Brexit and a tory, and many people I know share that opinion. Whereas as I also see a lot of people with your opinion.

She could barely conceal her glee each time May had a set-back (which was most of the time, tbf).

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Starting to get a bit peed off with the BBC now, who are increasingly pro-Brexit. The Euro-election results were reported as a "resounding win for the Brexit party", despite a clear majority for anti Brexit parties, whereas today they just reported that the most votes went to pro-Brexit parties in this by-election.

I have felt like that about the BBC for four years now. They allow leavers to give their opinions on the news and debates without challenging those opinions. They are little more than a propaganda channel.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
She could barely conceal her glee each time May had a set-back (which was most of the time, tbf).

Because the hard right didn't want May's deal, rejecting it three times. I think the Tories have wanted no deal, all along.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I don't how that marks her as anti-Brexit, quite the reverse.

FWIW, I think she's been pretty straight. She clearly can't stand Corbyn but that doesn't mark her as pro or anti Brexit. I think she does try to be neutral on the matter.

It's the Today programme that's quite clearly pro-Brexit and makes little attempt to hide it

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't how that marks her as anti-Brexit, quite the reverse.

FWIW, I think she's been pretty straight. She clearly can't stand Corbyn but that doesn't mark her as pro or anti Brexit. I think she does try to be neutral on the matter.

It's the Today programme that's quite clearly pro-Brexit and makes little attempt to hide it
No, it was definitely glee in a "another attempt to implement Brexit and leave the EU has been foiled" sort of way.

Haven't listened to Today for years, so can't comment.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
No, it was definitely glee in a "another attempt to implement Brexit and leave the EU has been foiled" sort of way.

Haven't listened to Today for years, so can't comment.

I just take it as a bit of excitement that the governing party cant control its own MPs...she is a political commentator and this is the sort of thing that gets them going.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
As I posted earlier though, what would be in it for the Tories? Farage is not going to give the Tories a free run for nothing but what can the Tories offer? Pulling out of a number of winnable seats, a dozen, say? That won't go down well with the PPCs, many of whom may decide to stand anyway.

And I imagine that many Tories won't be happy about supporting a party that has no MPs, no councillors and is slipping in the polls.

I can see how a deal could benefit BP but, for the life of me, can't see what Tories get out of it.

Depends on the type of deal and the circumstances of the election. If Brexit gets done before the next GE then I expect support for the Brexit party will have receded to a point where a deal would not be needed. If however, Brexit hasn't happened and parliament has blocked no-deal then I can see Boris going to the country to get a mandate to leave under any circumstances, a policy that the Brexit party want and all of their voters would fully support. Most Brexit party voters would probably vote Tory at this point anyway but if polling showed the Brexit party still polling well then an understanding of not splitting the vote in a small number of seats (which could be vital) could be possible. Remember UKIP didn't run candidates against Eurosceptic Tory MP's in the 2010 election. Any unhappiness is unlikely to surpass the fear of the alternative option ... a Corbyn remain government.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I just take it as a bit of excitement that the governing party cant control its own MPs...she is a political commentator and this is the sort of thing that gets them going.
Well, I know what I see and hear. Doubt if you're going to change your mind either!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
The Lib-Dems made the awful mistake of going into the coalition negotiations from a weak debating position (we've got fewer seats than you so we'll agree to most of your terms) instead of taking a strong debating stance (you need us more than we need you) and drawing a number of red lines.

Had the Liberal Democrats held out on these red line issues, the Tories would have either have had to agree and we'd be looking at a completely different political landscape right now, or they would have had to refuse and opt to work as a weak minority government (which would also have been good for the Lib-Dems and good for the progressive agenda).

It's obvious that the progressive agenda would have benefited if the red lines had been agreed to, but even if they hadn't and the Tories had opted for minority rule (under some kind of confidence and supply deal with the Lib-Dems), the Lib-Dems could have gleefully shot down every rotten and unpopular piece of Tory legislation (such as Caroline Spelman's attempt to sell off our public forests) until the next election was called.

The Lib-Dem narrative at the next election (whenever it would have been called) would have been a very strong one indeed, meaning they could conceivably have significantly increased their share of the vote at the next election rather than getting almost completely wiped out as they did in 2015.

If the Lib-Dems hadn't been so strategically inept, the Tories wouldn't have been able to spend the that five years laying the groundwork for what was to come next, and it's by no means certain that they would even have been in power at all. Imagine if the Lib-Dems and Labour had called a vote of no confidence in the Tory government when the economy was flatlining as a result of harsh ideological austerity in 2012 (around the time George Osborne was being booed at the Paralympics). Anyone who imagines that the Tories would have won a majority government at that point must be living in a fantasy world.

Good post

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
This is strange as opinion of her is polarised. To me, it seems Kuenssberg is pro-Brexit and a tory, and many people I know share that opinion. Whereas as I also see a lot of people with your opinion.

She may well be a Tory - I don't know - but IMO she comes across as very anti -Brexit.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It's time for the left of centre parties to start targeting seats in this way mutually benifiting arrangments to keep the hardline right out of power

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Did you listen to Mishal Husain interview Rabb this week?

If that was Pro-Brext, well..........

……. But Dominic Raab is an idiot. He didn't realise how important Dover was as a gateway to Europe, and he is now central to it all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here