Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] By election result

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No doubt this will get eaten up by the boris or brexit threads but with Johnsons working majority down to one, is this the time for senior remain Tory MPs who might not stand at the next election to withdraw from the party whip to bring down the government as I doubt anyone has any faith that corbyn will call for a vote of no confidence as he really wants out of Europe anyway?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interesting times. I'm not sure remain Tories resigning from the whip is going to bring down the government because Labour won't call a vote of no confidence as they cannot win a general election from this position. It might only happen when it becomes crystal clear that Johnson is prepared to drive us off the no-deal Brexit cliff.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Bit odd that the tories put Chris Davies up again after the fact that he was unseated caused the by election in the first place. Did they really think he was going to win after a petition to deselect him?

Last edited:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
A bit dumb of the Brexit party to put up a candidate and cost the Conservatives the seat, once the Greens and Plaid stepped aside for Dems, there was always a risk splitting the vote would mean a win for a 'remainer'.

A bit vain of Farage to maybe think he could win what was a remain ward?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bit odd that the tories put Chris Davies up again after that fact that he was unseated caused the by election in the first place. Did they really think he was going to win after a petition to deselect him?

Tory 'safe seat'. :lol:

They might not have bargained for The Greens & Plaid Cymru not standing and getting behind the LibDems.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
A bit dumb of the Brexit party to put up a candidate and cost the Conservatives the seat, once the Greens and Plaid stepped aside for Dems, there was always a risk splitting the vote would mean a win for a 'remainer'.

Like they'd do anything to the contrary.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This is my constituency. Chris Davies really short himself in the foot with his expense fiddling, he was really well liked by the farming community and had a relatively safe seat. I know his daughter has had a tough time of it at school since he was convicted, kids can be really cruel. He was stupid. As for Jane Dodds, we’ve been bombarded with letters from her, twice weekly visits from her canvassers, phone calls etc. It’s actually been a bit weird (and annoying) but she’s got her name out there and won. The Labour Party candidate was invisible, but it was only ever a two horse race.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Interesting times. I'm not sure remain Tories resigning from the whip is going to bring down the government because Labour won't call a vote of no confidence as they cannot win a general election from this position. It might only happen when it becomes crystal clear that Johnson is prepared to drive us off the no-deal Brexit cliff.

Never has there been a clearer indication of the disarray the Labour party are in right now. The government has a majority of just 1, is heading inexorably towards something that 48% of the entire country (probably more) do not want, and is lead by a complete buffoon, yet still, they do not even believe themselves that they could win a general election.

The tories have never had it so easy.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Never has there been a clearer indication of the disarray the Labour party are in right now. The government has a majority of just 1, is heading inexorably towards something that 48% of the entire country (probably more) do not want, and is lead by a complete buffoon, yet still, they do not even believe themselves that they could win a general election.

Labour’s problem is the party membership is still a pretty much 50/50 leave/remain split.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This is my constituency. Chris Davies really short himself in the foot with his expense fiddling, he was really well liked by the farming community and had a relatively safe seat. I know his daughter has had a tough time of it at school since he was convicted, kids can be really cruel. He was stupid. As for Jane Dodds, we’ve been bombarded with letters from her, twice weekly visits from her canvassers, phone calls etc. It’s actually been a bit weird (and annoying) but she’s got her name out there and won. The Labour Party candidate was invisible, but it was only ever a two horse race.
I think thief is the word you are struggling for and in these circumstances it is understandable, why leavers voted Brexit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Labour’s problem is the party membership is still a pretty much 50/50 leave/remain split.

The party membership was 88% remain in the last survey.

The wider Labour electorate was about 65% at the referendum.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Tory 'safe seat'. :lol:

They might not have bargained for The Greens & Plaid Cymru not standing and getting behind the LibDems.

Not really though, was it.

1985 by-election Richard Livsey Liberal
1992 Jonathan Evans Conservative
1997 Richard Livsey Liberal Democrats
2001 Roger Williams Liberal Democrats
2015 Christopher Davies Conservative
2019 by-election[a] Jane Dodds Liberal Democrats

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The history books aren't going to talk well of us, are they?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

as said in Brexit thread, its a strategic failure on their behalf.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not really though, was it.

1985 by-election Richard Livsey Liberal
1992 Jonathan Evans Conservative
1997 Richard Livsey Liberal Democrats
2001 Roger Williams Liberal Democrats
2015 Christopher Davies Conservative
2019 by-election[a] Jane Dodds Liberal Democrats

That's how it was described on 5-live, this morning.

TBH with all the shitwaffle that's gone under the bridge, I was still reeling from the 'majority of 1' part of the report.
That rather snuck up on me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here