Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I know that every 2019/20 preview says that we are over-reliant on his goals and that, at nearly 36, he can't possibly continue to do it. However, this was said at the beginning of last year too and I have just noticed that he actually ended up having his best ever return in a top level season, scoring one more goal in our poor 2018/19 than he did in 2017/18. Obviously it can't go on for ever, but in all the clamouring for new blood, it may have been a bit overlooked how lucky we have been to have him. Let's hope Bruno's fitness tips have him ready for one more push.

2018/19 Leading Goal Scorers from Teams in the bottom half of the Premier League:

Wilson - Bournemouth - 14
Murray - Brighton - 13
Barnes - Burnley -12
King - Bournemouth - 12
Milivojevic - Palace - 12 (p)

2018/19 Leading English Goal Scorers in the Premier League:

Vardy - Leicester - 18
Kane - Tottenham - 17
Sterling - Man City - 17
Wilson - Bournemouth - 14
Murray - Brighton - 13

As Locadia and Andone have found, if we do manage to sign a striker, he is going to have to work very hard to dislodge the old boy. When he eventually calls it a day, he will finish in the unique position as being beloved by both us and Palace fans despite scoring goals and winning penalties against both of us in derby matches.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
The beauty of Murray is that he is an instinctive striker who continues to get goals, we were so over reliant on him last season that he never had the breaks he needed, 2 or 3 games out would recharge his batteries if we have viable alternatives, the hope is that Potter will also play a more fluent fast moving attack.

Last edited:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
If we don't sign a striker, we are in a world of trouble. I can't imagine that we won't though, as it would be utter madness not to. Murray has been amazing for us, but he is not the answer any more.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
When Murray lost form in the early part of this year it coincided almost exactly with our long lean period. While Murray is a legend and still has a role to play, we can't be so reliant on one striker that when they don't perform it catapults the entire club toward relegation.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Wonderful player. Gus must still have nightmares about letting him go. **** knows how many goals Muzza and Barnes would’ve scored if they’d stayed together

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
When Murray lost form in the early part of this year it coincided almost exactly with our long lean period. While Murray is a legend and still has a role to play, we can't be so reliant on one striker that when they don't perform it catapults the entire club toward relegation.

Did Murray loose form ?
Or did we just turn super negative and he got not service playing 40 yards in front of next player on his own?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Wonderful player. Gus must still have nightmares about letting him go. **** knows how many goals Muzza and Barnes would’ve scored if they’d stayed together

You think he cares?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
lucky, yes. how much longer can we ride that luck?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Did Murray loose form ?
Or did we just turn super negative and he got not service playing 40 yards in front of next player on his own?

Good question, it could be a mixture of both but we had played negatively before and Murray had still maintained a decent scoring record (early days in the PL, for example).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Murray, if fit, is going to thrive on this style change. Best PL season for goals scored imo. We may need it be be because we are likely to ship a shitload more at the other end

Can’t wait, I am genuinely excited for this season and GM is one of the best forwards in the league for chances created turned into goals.

Will we struggle? Yes of course we will but I had lost the will to go with the shite served up last season so I am just interested in enjoying watching the Albion again. Win, lose or draw.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Last season taught me to never bet against Murray again. I thought he was starting to wane but instead he put in a colossal shift. To bag 13 goals with such a defensive side behind him was just outstanding.

Already the goals he has put away in pre-season demonstrate he has lost none of his predatory instincts. The unlikely partnership with Locadia seems to give Glenn a bit of company up top.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You think he cares?

Given there's a fair chance he'd have taken us to the Prem if he'd held onto Murray, I'd say definitely. Would've been the biggest achievement of his managerial career to date.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
His conversion of shots to goals is in the top 2 or 3 for the PL, not sure if they count the one that when in off his dick as a shot or not though.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Of course you need another striker but there's been surprisingly many 35+ strikers scoring lots of goals in PL so Murray might still have one or two seasons in him. When it goes downwards, it usually goes quick though.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think he’ll be rejuvenated in the new system. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t hit double figures. Tbh more concerned about Andone than Murray

Quite Murray has nothing to prove, just maintain . . . . several others however . . .

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
For me he's the most underrated player in the Premier League.

Just would be handy if we could rotate him a little more often!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think he's underrated at our club, but I don't think he is outside of our club. The media make sure the world knows we're heavy reliant on the man who would be our highest goalscorer ever if things in 2011 had gone differently... I still think he'll make it, this team will make more chances this season and he's going to take them when he's in the side.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For me he's the most underrated player in the Premier League.

Just would be handy if we could rotate him a little more often!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

To be honest if he's so slow that we're having to rotate him ourselves, that's an issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here