Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] **** England v Australia, 1st Specsavers Ashes Test, Edgbaston. Official match thread ****

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I wish the BBC would finally get rid of Glenn McGrath on TMS. He was just asked the question, “How do you get Smith out? What sort of tactics should you use?” He refused to answer because “he’s an Aussie”. Well if that means you can’t do your job then get off the radio.
Shane Warne always gives insightful views on how you should bowl, he’s quite happy to. McGrath just gives his completely biased opinion that the Australians are essentially superhumans with no flaws. I’m surprised I haven’t heard him say it will be a whitewash yet, although sure he probably has been saying that. He’s so one dimensional, he’s the Robbie Savage of cricket commentary.
If I wanted to hear basic Aussie bravado I could walk into any pub in the world and find an Australian to tell me how Australia will win the Ashes. The point is I want a pundit to tell me about the game rather than just how great the Australian team are.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Get Smith out, then I'm happy.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
For once England are bowing a great length, normally a bit too short, today it’s been a perfect mix at a perfect length.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I wish the BBC would finally get rid of Glenn McGrath on TMS. He was just asked the question, “How do you get Smith out? What sort of tactics should you use?” He refused to answer because “he’s an Aussie”. Well if that means you can’t do your job then get of the radio.
Shane Warne always gives insightful views on how you should bowl, he’s quite happy to. McGrath just gives his completely biased opinion that the Australians are essentially superhumans with no flaws. I’m surprised I haven’t heard him say it will be a whitewash yet, although sure he probably has been saying that. He’s so one dimensional, he’s the Robbie Savage of cricket commentary.
If I wanted to hear basic Aussie bravado I could walk into any pub in the world and find an Australian to tell me how Australia will win the Ashes. The point is I want a pundit to tell me about the game rather than just how great the Australian team are.

Did he go with his usual 5-0 to Australia predication

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Looks like I spoke too soon, Ben Stokes bowling 3 balls in a row massively down the leg side :lol:

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Warne and Michael Clarke are pretty good on Sky, I guess BBC get the off cuts.

I really like Shane Warne. He shares his insights on cricket and its genuinely interesting to hear about he'd approach things. At least when he gives a bit of banter he's got the personality to pull it off. McGrath is about as funny as a kick to the shins.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I really like Shane Warne. He shares his insights on cricket and its genuinely interesting to hear about he'd approach things. At least when he gives a bit of banter he's got the personality to pull it off. McGrath is about as funny as a kick to the shins.

You are joking? Warne is an UTTER ****WIT. :nono:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Glad Paine chose to bat :lolol:

I thought it was a brave / foolhardy move. Batting first on our fortress ground with a bit of cloud and a very raucous crowd roaring England on, on the first day of the series was either going to be a statement of intent by the Aussies or a poor decision ….37-3 and its looking a poor call. Still as ever, it's all about getting Smith out.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

I also like Warne, he’s a bit of a deluded Aussie but generally I think he is a proper cricket man, knows his stuff and has a good rapport with the other guys who work on sky creates something enjoyable to watch rather than always the same old boring chat some pundits bring.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wish the BBC would finally get rid of Glenn McGrath on TMS. He was just asked the question, “How do you get Smith out? What sort of tactics should you use?” He refused to answer because “he’s an Aussie”. Well if that means you can’t do your job then get off the radio.

McGrath always exudes a smug " aw look " patriotism and apparently is in the same mould as David Warner according to some that have met him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Get Sir Jimmy back on. Bored of Stokes' shit pies, now.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014

I can definitely see why you'd think that. I really like the masterclass stuff he's done on sky sports though. I've always found it fascinating listening to him talk through how he approaches things. I guess I give him some leeway because of that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A lunchtime serving of Steak and Ali Pie there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
WTAF are they DOING!? Just give Jimmy the ball, FFS, before the great start is completely wasted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here