Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] **** England v Australia, 1st Specsavers Ashes Test, Edgbaston. Official match thread ****

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Graham Thorpe is actually on the balcony FFS!

"England batting coach Graham Thorpe says his charges will focus on building partnerships as they look to survive day five and thwart Australia's Edgbaston advantage"

Perhaps he should have been watching Australia bat and pick up a few tips!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Other than some great England batting line ups in the ‘Matt Prior’ era, England have had this propensity to collapse for the last 30 years on and off. It’s always just around the corner. That exception contained a load of players like Prior who could tough it out mentally, in the mould of Aussie batsmen such as Smith, Border, Gilchrist, Ponting .... they could break the morale of any bowling attack.

Going to be a tough summer.

Perhaps our dodgy weather will come to the rescue, with favourable bowling conditions?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Just don’t know what i’d do for the 2nd test, at least we have 9 days between the tests to try and resolve the issues.

Burns
??
Root
??
Roy
Stokes
Buttler (WK)
Woakes
Broad
Archer
Leach

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I am prepared to come out of retirement should the call come. [emoji967]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. Foakes in to keep - Denly dropped.
2. Leach in - Moeen dropped.
3. Archer in - Anderson rested.
4. If selectors not prepared to pick Foakes then Morgan (on his home pitch) in for Denly.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just don’t know what i’d do for the 2nd test, at least we have 9 days between the tests to try and resolve the issues.

Burns
??
Root
??
Roy
Stokes
Buttler (WK)
Woakes
Broad
Archer
Leach

I would have Foakes as keeper, if fit. Bairstow and Buttler are not at his level. I always say keeper first and batting credentials second.

It's no good having a keeper who would drop Smith in a half chance on 6 and then him get a century. Those extra 15 runs an innings count for nothing then.

Unfortunately, selector after selector begs to differ.

NB- Burns is not a Test opener. Too many defects in his game.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Depressing thought: we have almost half the team who are either out of (red ball) form or simply do not have the class to play test cricket: Denley, Roy, Buttler, Bairstow, Moeen. (And our greatest bowler is crocked.)

Rather more depressing thought: there is hardly a queue of obvious replacements.

Really depressing thought: the Aussies are looking rather good and have the best Test batsman in the modern era and can afford not to play Starc.

Anyone for darts?

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Liar and cheat.

At least he doesn't have to resort to cheating to play well against England. Biggest punishment he got was being easily beaten by the South Africans when he did cheat.

BTW what did you think of Atherton & his pocket full of dirt ?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Depressing thought: we have almost half the team who are either out of (red ball) form or simply do not have the class to play test cricket: Denley, Roy, Buttler, Bairstow, Moeen. (And our greatest bowler is crocked.)

Rather more depressing thought: there is hardly a queue of obvious replacements.

Really depressing thought: the Aussies are looking rather good and have the best Test batsman in the modern era and can afford not to play Starc.

Anyone for darts?

And I remain unconvinced about Burns to. Not sure he has the technique to score runs consistently. A 4-1 defeat feels inevitable.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
At least he doesn't have to resort to cheating to play well against England. Biggest punishment he got was being easily beaten by the South Africans when he did cheat.

BTW what did you think of Atherton & his pocket full of dirt ?

That we know of. I note Warner didn't walk when he clearly nicked it. You'd think he'd try to rebuild his reputation and start walking like Gilchrist used to, show a bit of honesty over and above the call of duty given what he'd done. Not a chance.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That we know of. I note Warner didn't walk when he clearly nicked it. You'd think he'd try to rebuild his reputation and start walking like Gilchrist used to, show a bit of honesty over and above the call of duty given what he'd done. Not a chance.

In BOTH innings.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Credit where due, he got a bat on that last one off the over :)

He got some bat on that one too :bowdown:

He certainly seems to be running in properly. Its not easy to tell with this angle but I'd guess he's bowling mid to late 80s comfortably.

(I'd rather he wasn't standing at 2nd slip though!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here