Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] **** England v Australia, 1st Specsavers Ashes Test, Edgbaston. Official match thread ****

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Shoddy from England this morning, poor bowling but the pitch looks dead for the seamers and Ali bowling pies. I’d say the Aussies are starting to edge towards favourites now.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
That is my point we do not have a world class batsman who is virtually guaranteed to get a big score not even Root.

But Root IS a world class batsman.

Smith being better that Root doesn’t make Root less of a player. You get 1 Root per generation of cricketers if you’re lucky! Smith is s freak, sadly he’s Australian.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Convicts milking the bowling for a comfortable 4 an over....and what, 27 overs til the new ball?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Convicts milking the bowling for a comfortable 4 an over....and what, 27 overs til the new ball?
I'm claiming that wicket!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Is Woakes injured too?
Cant believe he hasnt bowled today

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
F**k off Smith you lucky Australian kangaroo eating sandpaper pocket tosser

You might find yourself being forced to say that a lot this series.

And you might find it makes no difference.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That and selecting Anderson when he wasn’t fully recovered........

By all accounts he had been fine for the ten days prior. The mistake was not playing him against Ireland.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Australia have to be the favourites but I don’t think 250/300 is unreachable, the pitch is doing nothing for the seamers, Lyon is the man who could win the match for the Aussies.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Australia have to be the favourites but I don’t think 250/300 is unreachable, the pitch is doing nothing for the seamers, Lyon is the man who could win the match for the Aussies.

With the rain forecasted the only outside chance of an England victory is to bowl them out in the next session. Massively unlikely with what looks like 2 bowlers down and 2 ordinary spinners on current form.

The trick now is to stem the flow of runs to delay any Australian declaration.

I really can’t see England winning now but a draw isn’t the worst result being without your key bowler since the first session of the match.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
With the rain forecasted the only outside chance of an England victory is to bowl them out in the next session. Massively unlikely with what likes 2 bowlers down and 2 ordinary spinners on current form.

The trick now is to stem the flow of runs to delay any Australian declaration.

I really can’t see England winning now but a draw isn’t the worst result being without your key bowler since the first session of the match.

?? They are 142/4, such a negative mindset the game is fairly evenly poised I would say. And there’s no proper rain in the forecast just a few odd showers that could easily miss.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
?? They are 142/4, such a negative mindset the game is fairly evenly poised I would say. And there’s no proper rain in the forecast just a few odd showers that could easily miss.

It’s not evenly poised. Our attack is short on numbers and quality now. They are on top and even if we skittle them, I don’t think we will chase 200.

I’d snap your hand off now for a draw.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It’s not evenly poised. Our attack is short on numbers and quality now. They are on top and even if we skittle them, I don’t think we will chase 200.

I’d snap your hand off now for a draw.

So would most England supporters. When will Australia declare, I think that they will want another 150 runs on the board depending on how quick they can score them..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would think that a draw will be foremost in Roots mind now as I would expect the target to be 250+ so bring on the rain.

Chance of rain is less than 30% before CoP tonight, so Root won’t be factoring that into his thinking at all. Pitch is a bit dead and Smith is basically helping himself (as usual). Get him out and we’d still be very much in with a decent chance - but chasing anything over 250 is pretty much out of reach in any normal test match. Aussies will be c250 ahead at tea if they carry on as now, but wouldn’t be declaring until they get close to 400 and are totally safe from defeat (close of play or thereabouts), leaving a difficult day tomorrow against Lyon’s spin to survive (chances of rain are again limited to about 30%) with zero chance of winning.

Fascinating, I bloody love test cricket.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
These ar*e licking commentators are doing my head in, especially that Easha or what ever her name is, that IMHO knows nothing and is there to make up the equel sex figures.
They are bu*ming Steve Smith up something wicked.
Yes he is a good batsman
But we are bowling buffet bowling half the time
But, and I know he served a ban as dished out by the Aussie board, but at the end of the day HE IS A CHEAT
Stop licking his a**e saying hes worked hard for this.
Rant over

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here