Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] **** England v Australia, 1st Specsavers Ashes Test, Edgbaston. Official match thread ****

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Wanted: England qualified spinner. We'll probably only know how bad Moeen was when we see Lyon's figures tomorrow. (Perhaps Moeen can do it with the bat and save the match. Sincerely hope so as he seems a genuinely good guy,)

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Let’s not forget, we had the Aussies on the rope at tea on D1. Let them off the hook. That’s worrying in itself, but missing Jimmy has had a huge impact. Increases the workload for the other bowlers and missing the best bowler England have ever had for my money.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Wanted: England qualified spinner. We'll probably only know how bad Moeen was when we see Lyon's figures tomorrow. (Perhaps Moeen can do it with the bat and save the match. Sincerely hope so as he seems a genuinely good guy,)

Judging by his 1st innings tactic of leaving a ball hitting the stumps, its probably best to look at other batsmen to save England.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I like Moeen, he's brilliant on a good day.

He hasnt had one yet this month however.

Root's batting may be useful tomorrow, if he can play like he did in the wcf or on friday. Like Boycott on Valium. (Edited, wrong pills)

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The major concern as regards batting must be Moeen Alli and Bairstow as both have been below their best in test matches recently. Perhaps they are both best suited to 1 day games

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The major concern as regards batting must be Moeen Alli and Bairstow as both have been below their best in test matches recently. Perhaps they are both best suited to 1 day games

That's true. We could do with the likes of Boycott and Brian Close from a different era tomorrow.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Many years ago, when faced with this situation a draw was a distinct possibility.

Now with all the big hitters with no technique, we will be all out before tea.
I fear that you're correct.

Would love to see an old fashioned "GRIND IT OUT!" performance. Athers and Jack Russell v the Saffers style.

Burns is capable of it. So is Root. You never know. But my chickens have yet to even be started to be put in numerical order. Or something.

I still think we'll win the series. We've played this match a man down.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Both have shown spells of being at test match level, in particular Bairstow who was probably our form batsman for 12/18 months.

Both look mentally shot with their batting and this is now affecting their bowling and wicket keeping. Ali was dreadful as was Bairstow today. I think Leach is a certainty for Lords but I’d also be very close to picking Foakes. The only saving grace for Bairstow is that he tends to deliver when he’s up against it.

Let’s see how we get on second innings both may well contribute, but even a match saving fifty from Ali probably won’t keep his place. We need a more reliable spinner first and foremost.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IIRC we were in a similar position some years ago, not sure who the opponents were and Peter May scored 285 putting on 400 with Colin Cowdrey to save the game.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Given that a majority of cricket is TV/money and short format, it's hardly surprising the lack of patience/concentration.

As if a central ecb contract wasn't enough to keep you in food and beige clothes.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I've always liked Moeen too but sadly he's not been cutting it with the bat recently and more recently with the ball. Playing for England shouldn't be a job for life, he needs to rediscover some form with the bat and/or work out a method of digging in yet still scoring.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I found that, when I was younger, it was just so much more fun watching paint dry than those two.

Indeed. Apparently Burns will now bat on all 4 days of the Test. That's good -and even better if he's still batting by the end of the 4th day! But I recall Boycs batting on every day of a 5 day test. It was beyond dire. Many Test matches back in the day were often effectively stalemates, not draws. Cricket in the 1960s and 70s was dying; brilliant that it can fill grounds.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I found that, when I was younger, it was just so much more fun watching paint dry than those two.

Agreed. Much more entertaining seeing batsmen out for low scores but hitting out at everything and losing.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
IIRC we were in a similar position some years ago, not sure who the opponents were and Peter May scored 285 putting on 400 with Colin Cowdrey to save the game.
It was against the West Indies some 60 years ago.

I can't anyone in this team a scoring 85, let alone 285.

Were definitely loose.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Indeed. Apparently Burns will now bat on all 4 days of the Test. That's good -and even better if he's still batting by the end of the 4th day! But I recall Boycs batting on every day of a 5 day test. It was beyond dire. Many Test matches back in the day were often effectively stalemates, not draws. Cricket in the 1960s and 70s was dying; brilliant that it can fill grounds.

This Test is slated for 5 days though ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here