Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Charlton's Cat 2 academy has generated transfers of £50m in 4 years

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Because they didn't sell Lookman for £11m AND £22m did they, FFS?

When Maguire moves to United for £80m will that be £100m in fees that the Sheffield United academy has generated?

Charlton didn't RECEIVE £11m + £22m obviously. I never said that. But a player who their academy produced still went on and GENERATED fees totalling it. Not quite sure why thats apparently offensive in some way.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Charlton didn't RECEIVE £11m + £22m obviously. I never said that. But a player who their academy produced still went on and GENERATED fees totalling it. Not quite sure why thats apparently offensive in some way.

Of course it’s not offensive , it’s just why you want to use it as a stick to beat the club that you support is a bit odd.

PS: we have 2 first choice prem league players that our academy generated. We don’t have to sell them though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Of course it’s not offensive , it’s just why you want to use it as a stick to beat the club that you support is a bit odd.

PS: we have 2 first choice prem league players that our academy generated. We don’t have to sell them though.

Probably worth a good £55m+ in today's market.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Andorinha in Portugal has generated transfers of €230m in the past 15 years or so, and they are in Portuguese division 4!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Its not 'offensive'. Its just a really STUPID pointless measure to use.

By that measure an average player who failed to settle and moved six times for £5m each time, 'generates' more than a great player sold for £25m. It's meaningless as an indicator of the academy's output. :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I haven't used it as a stick to beat the club with. I just have high hopes that at some point soon, we too will begin seeing some similar or comparable returns. The club is clearly gearing itself towards achieving this, but there'd certainly be no harm taking a leaf out of Charlton's book (if they haven't done so already), given what their academy has generated.

I'll be keeping an eye on the gametime of the loanee's we've sent out get in the Championship. If they turn out to be "Premier League ready" and come back to bolster our options then fantastic. If they're not quite at that level, then I'd hope they'll be good enough to generate some transfer fees for us. Those are the returns we need, proof that the enormous investment in the academy is bearing fruit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its not 'offensive'. Its just a really STUPID pointless measure to use.

By that measure an average player who failed to settle and moved six times for £5m each time, 'generates' more than a great player sold for £25m. It's meaningless as an indicator of the academy's output. :shrug:

Agree to disagree then. If a player who originates from BHA's academy got sold for millions, or goes on and has a series of multi-million pound moves, I'd actually take some quiet satisfaction and pride from that. It would be a GOOD THING. A sign that we're getting it right.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ha! I’d like to see your analysis of the youth and dev set up if you were really having a go !

I kinda knew the Official Club Cheerleader would be jumping all over my back on this one. Hey ho, its just an opinion :thumbsup:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/31/charlton-young-players-lookman-konsa-grant-gomez

Lookman £11m to Everton, now £22.5m to Leipzig
Konsa £12m to Villa
Gomez £3.5m to Liverpool
Grant to Hudds (undisc)

There are also currently three of their graduates now permanently plying their trade at Championship clubs - Fox at Massive, Ajayi at West Brom and Cousins at Stoke. All this despite them being surrounded by five Cat 1 academies (Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, Spurs, West Ham) and two Cat 2 academies (Millwall and Palace).

For a club bumping around between L1 and the Championship with a comedy owner, that is impressive. Wish ours could produce half what theirs does. Maybe Potter, Ashton and Barber should pay a visit and take a look at what they're doing there that we're not.

there is an obvious difference there mate , we all know that the best players are those with muscle twitch capability , there is only on e way to describe that without being branded a bigot or a racist and i just did .............having played football and basketball against fast muscle twitch lads throughout my late teens i can confirm that the fact they run faster , jump higher and are quicker off the mark is irrefutable ...so realistically charlton and palace and obviously the bigger london teams like spurs , gooners, brentford, orient , will always have better academy figures cos the black lads can run and jump faster and higher than the white lads .........if any of you had a history in sport then you would admit that it's beyond doubt..........

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I read it more as praise for what Charlton do, and how we should, with the money and the better facilities be able to produce "Charlton Plus" in some way. Credit to Charlton, and perhaps there is a lesson or two to be learned from them for a lot of clubs. Not picking holes in what we're doing, just praising what they've done, and it shows what can be done if you get it right.

Hopefully we do get there. At the moment it's largely ifs, buts, and maybes.
Pretty much where I stand on this. Read the Guardian piece earlier in the day and found it really interesting - was hoping this thread would focus on praising Charlton rather than instantly descending into the (often tiresome) debate on how well or not it reflects on the current success of our own academy, with people feeling they have to take usual polar opposite sides.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
there is an obvious difference there mate , we all know that the best players are those with muscle twitch capability , there is only on e way to describe that without being branded a bigot or a racist and i just did .............having played football and basketball against fast muscle twitch lads throughout my late teens i can confirm that the fact they run faster , jump higher and are quicker off the mark is irrefutable ...so realistically charlton and palace and obviously the bigger london teams like spurs , gooners, brentford, orient , will always have better academy figures cos the black lads can run and jump faster and higher than the white lads .........if any of you had a history in sport then you would admit that it's beyond doubt..........

If that really was the case, then there'd be no white players playing at the top level, the World Champions would always come from Africa, and Usain Bolt would've got that contract he wanted at Man Utd. Your analysis focuses purely on a (black) players physical attributes, and completely disregards one fairly crucial factor - skill.

So sorry, not having it.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
If that really was the case, then there'd be no white players playing at the top level, the World Champions would always come from Africa, and Usain Bolt would've got that contract he wanted at Man Utd. Your analysis focuses purely on a (black) players physical attributes, and completely disregards one fairly crucial factor - skill.

So sorry, not having it.

so you're obviously not an ex player then ....bearing in mind that up until 50 years ago there were only 10 or 15 black lads in the league and we were a racist bunch of pricks , why the sudden influx of black lads ..... do you want to get started on Latino flair and sol campbell's jinx .......anyone whose ever had a ruck with a black lad knows the score , ...........i give you klitschko as an absolute exception....steve cram , steve ovett , allan minter.... your go ...:thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

So sorry, not having it.

You might do if you were in a Sam Tyler like scenario and got transported back to the 1970s.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
so you're obviously not an ex player then ....bearing in mind that up until 50 years ago there were only 10 or 15 black lads in the league and we were a racist bunch of pricks , why the sudden influx of black lads ..... do you want to get started on Latino flair and sol campbell's jinx .......anyone whose ever had a ruck with a black lad knows the score , ...........i give you klitschko as an absolute exception....steve cram , steve ovett , allan minter.... your go ...:thumbsup:

I'm not a former academy player, no. But your assertion that only black footballers can make it through the academy systems because they're all stronger and more athletic is patently bobbins. How else do white players get through then ?

This is an odd tangent you're spinning off on, and one that doesn't make any sense. Maybe YOU weren't up to it physically when you played against black players, but thats quite obviously not the case across the board. Nonsense argument.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

You’re a bit of an odd chap really.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Genealogy, environment, culture all undoubtedly have a part to play in why athletes emerge from particular nations, or racial backgrounds, but to distill it down as you are to a case of black lads can all run faster, jump higher and and are stronger is patently nonsense and without scientific background. A case in point is why black West Africans dominate sprinting and yet from the same continent East Africans dominate long distance running - completely different physical attributes. This kind of population distinction goes beyond your, dare I say it, simplistic conclusions on race alone.

The is absolutely no scientific basis for saying you have fast-twitch muscle fibre because you're black, it's incorrect. What we are talking is a gene, or a network of genes, or a network of genes and environmental factors. Being black only makes you more likely to have a genetic variant that makes you more likely to have extra fast-twitch fiber. It goes far beyond the crudeness of putting this down to race.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/31/charlton-young-players-lookman-konsa-grant-gomez

Lookman £11m to Everton, now £22.5m to Leipzig
Konsa £12m to Villa
Gomez £3.5m to Liverpool
Grant to Hudds (undisc)

There are also currently three of their graduates now permanently plying their trade at Championship clubs - Fox at Massive, Ajayi at West Brom and Cousins at Stoke. All this despite them being surrounded by five Cat 1 academies (Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, Spurs, West Ham) and two Cat 2 academies (Millwall and Palace).

For a club bumping around between L1 and the Championship with a comedy owner, that is impressive. Wish ours could produce half what theirs does. Maybe Potter, Ashton and Barber should pay a visit and take a look at what they're doing there that we're not.

Or maybe they knew what they were doing all along.

:whistle:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Or maybe they knew what they were doing all along.

:whistle:

I never said they didn't. My hope was that our U23's would eventually start bearing some fruit, given the monumental investment, and thats started to happen (aided by moving CH on). Whats your point ?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I never said they didn't. My hope was that our U23's would eventually start bearing some fruit, given the monumental investment, and thats started to happen (aided by moving CH on). Whats your point ?

I think the crux of my point is that your post that was clearly stupid a year ago is even funnier with hindsight.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here