Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Quality of New Build Homes

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Absolutely stunning some of the crap that's gone up along the coast road in Peacehaven in recent times. They look as though they're made of plastic wood, with Perspex rather than glass in the windows. Flimsy as anything, zero soundproofing (on a busy main road) and obscene pricing. How these companies like Barratt, Taylor Wimpey etc. get away with it without being called before a government panel is quite something.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
interesting as we are currently looking at buying a new build. From speaking to someone we know who is in the game they have said there are good and bad builders. And Barratt and Taylor wimpey we were told to avoid. Have looked at a few others and been impressed with the finish and the spec of the build, Bloor being one of them

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
the shit they're laashing up in Shoreham is appalling too . . . . . cast concrete, CLS, chipboard and celotex witgh a bit of cladding and a thin layer of brick like tiles on the outside.

the builders just stick to the regs . . . theyre the problem.

proper houses cost more to build, which eats profit.

I'd never buy a new build, our house is 40's, newest house I've ever lived in!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
zero soundproofing (on a busy main road)
While general poor quality materials and workmanship is not surprise, they should have reasonable levels of sound insulation in order to meet building regulations. Have you been in them, and noticed they're lacking?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Absolutely stunning some of the crap that's gone up along the coast road in Peacehaven in recent times. They look as though they're made of plastic wood, with Perspex rather than glass in the windows. Flimsy as anything, zero soundproofing (on a busy main road) and obscene pricing. How these companies like Barratt, Taylor Wimpey etc. get away with it without being called before a government panel is quite something.

If you speak with trades who've done some time working on new builds it's scary how poor the quality is - I wouldn't touch a new build with a barge pole.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
interesting as we are currently looking at buying a new build.
From a finance point of view, I'm generally against buying new. Theirs a fair premium on them, and they don't tend to go up in value as well as second hand properties (as the first buyer pays a premium which the subsequent buyers are not prepared to do).

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Totally agree. but don't forget many of these MPs etc on those panels have fingers in the construction industry (non-executive board members etc, dabs in fists, backhanders etc), so that would have
no effect. Why do you think HS2 is still going ahead?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
From a finance point of view, I'm generally against buying new. Theirs a fair premium on them, and they don't tend to go up in value as well as second hand properties (as the first buyer pays a premium which the subsequent buyers are not prepared to do).

My new build purchased in 2015 is now +15% as we purchased phase 1 without the infrastructure / school in.

Increase is in line with the area properties.

I agree there is a premium however this has been cancelled out buying in an early stage of the development

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Depends on the build surely. Can see that true for the mass builds, but mine was built in 2015 and next door sold for 20% more end of 2018

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Would they be donors to the Tory Party ? Follow the money and there is always an answer

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire

Whilst I agree with you it's all about circumstances. Ours is that we are selling my old house I bought with an ex and putting the equity into a new build as a fresh start for us newly weds.

Just a shame she wants to move out of sussex having lived here all my life :cry:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The federation spokesman, Steve Turner, says: “When you are building something as complex as a house, outside, in all weathers.................!!!!! Well done Sherlock, houses outside in all weathers well blow me.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

My new build (now a few years old) house was no more expensive than comparable older houses nearby and, as above, the price has raised in line with other properties. It was a relatively small development by a large housebuilder.

The build quality is very good, it's soundproof, really well insulated (stayed cool last week; in the winter we get condensation on the OUTSIDE of windows) and very thoughfully/efficiently designed. The only snagging was blown plasterboard tapes in a few rooms (apparently a 'bad batch') which were quickly resolved without fuss over the first few months of ownership.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Slightly off topic has anyone seen the Grand Designs in Bicester. A whole community of self builders. The area looks awesome with individual houses, unlike many of the new build estates which IMO have no character / outside spaces.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mine is about four years old now (Crest Nicholson). It's been mostly fine- we did have a burst pipe attached to the boiler which sent water streaming through the kitchen ceiling, but in fairness to them, they sent somebody round straight away, and rather than shove a load of dehumidifiers our way, they just said to us to go and order new carpets and paid for the lot without quibbling.

Had a couple of other small leaks since, but only one could be attributed to crap workmanship, and Crest fixed that one. The other one was another boiler issue which I guess they can't exactly be held responsible for.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My new build (now a few years old) house was no more expensive than comparable older houses nearby and, as above, the price has raised in line with other properties. It was a relatively small development by a large housebuilder.

The build quality is very good, it's soundproof, really well insulated (stayed cool last week; in the winter we get condensation on the OUTSIDE of windows) and very thoughfully/efficiently designed. The only snagging was blown plasterboard tapes in a few rooms (apparently a 'bad batch') which were quickly resolved without fuss over the first few months of ownership.

Blimey, I can't speak for mid-Sussex but round here there's about a 20% premium on newbuilds I reckon, having looked at a lot of houses recently. We looked at one or two but they seemed to have a lot of flaws - walls not meeting etc. Generally much smaller gardens too. And keep seeing ones go up for prices which they're never going to achieve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here