Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Championship Loans: Reason to be cheerful?

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
The Albion are likely to loan five or six different young players to Championship clubs next season. It completely blows my mind that the likes of Blackburn, Derby, Leeds, and QPR are turning to Brighton and Hove Albion to break in our youth players. It wasn't that long ago that the boot was on the other foot and we could only dream of taking their players on loan.

By my reckoning, we have the following:

Blackburn - Christian Walton
Derby - Rumoured to be after Matt Clarke
Leeds - Ben White
Millwall - Jayson Molumby
QPR - Jan Mlakar

Several Championship clubs appear to be interested in Aaron Connolly too
[Tweet] 1156277367511375873 [/Tweet]

We often berate the academy for not having a constant flow of youth players coming through into the first team. We might see one or two breaking through into the first team under Potter this season, but irrespective of whether this happens the fact that we will have so many players plying their trade in the Championship is real progress.

Like many others, I am concerned about our first team's ability to secure our Premier League status in the short to medium term. However, should we be more optimistic about our longer-term prospects given the proliferation of our young players in the Championship?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Albion are likely to loan five or six different young players to Championship clubs next season. It completely blows my mind that the likes of Blackburn, Derby, Leeds, and QPR are turning to Brighton and Hove Albion to break in our youth players. It wasn't that long ago that the boot was on the other foot and we could only dream of taking their players on loan.

By my reckoning, we have the following:

Blackburn - Christian Walton
Derby - Rumoured to be after Matt Clarke
Leeds - Ben White
Millwall - Jayson Molumby
QPR - Jan Mlakar

Several Championship clubs appear to be interested in Aaron Connolly too
[Tweet] 1156277367511375873 [/Tweet]

We often berate the academy for not having a constant flow of youth players coming through into the first team. We might see one or two breaking through into the first team under Potter this season, but irrespective of whether this happens the fact that we will have so many players plying their trade in the Championship is real progress.

Like many others, I am concerned about our first team's ability to secure our Premier League status in the short to medium term. However, should we be more optimistic about our longer-term prospects given the proliferation of our young players in the Championship?

Yep. All the prior posts over the last few years about lack of talent coming out of the academy were always too impatient- was going to take time and now we’re starting to see the benefits.

A small number will make it to the first team, a larger number (probably including some of the above) may not quite make it but will be sold on for a handsome return. Win/win.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Mlakar interests me ,i really like this player and a loan move to whoever with first team football would be just what this player needs , i'm not sure the championship is the best start for him but will be keeping a eye on this lads progress as i think we have a excellent player in the making here .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here