Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Old laptop to new laptop - recommended methods/SW please

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've bought a new laptop and want to transfer everything except the OS from the old to the new - files, programs, MS Office, etc. Win 7 to win 10.

I want to make this as painless as possible, though I have set aside a decade to get it working properly.

Any suggestions as to the best way to make sure it doesn't take more than a decade please?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I've bought a new laptop and want to transfer everything except the OS from the old to the new - files, programs, MS Office, etc. Win 7 to win 10.

I want to make this as painless as possible, though I have set aside a decade to get it working properly.

Any suggestions as to the best way to make sure it doesn't take more than a decade please?

I don't know of any one-button, painless, totally guaranteed way.
However, PCMover Pro is a bit less than £50, and will do most of the job relatively painlessly - https://web.laplink.com/product/pcmover-professional/#tabs2
Make sure you read the small print in terms of what will and won't be moved before you decide whether to buy, and read the bloomin' manual - twice - before you start.
Oh, and make sure you have all of the licence codes for your important software printed off before you start.
Good luck!

Supadupahands

Mar 10, 2016
you won't be able to move your programmes they will need to be reinstalled and re-licensed if required. I'm happy to do the job for £10 less than that software if you're local.

over 15 years in IT etc etc

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
you won't be able to move your programmes they will need to be reinstalled and re-licensed if required. I'm happy to do the job for £10 less than that software if you're local.

over 15 years in IT etc etc

Thanks for the offer. London and Cambs, I’m afraid; a bit too far.

Without wanting to take potential work away from anyone here, doesn't this help a lot -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4229823/moving-to-a-windows-10-pc

?

I haven’t read it yet, but a quick scan of the topics suggests that it’ll be very helpful indeed - thanks. New laptop arrives in three days’ time. I’ve found the licence keys for Office (using a key scanner), but I might upgrade anyway since my version of Offlce is 2010.

Currently pondering whether to outright buy a copy or do the monthly licensing via 365. Anyone have an opinion as to the relative merits?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

I haven’t read it yet, but a quick scan of the topics suggests that it’ll be very helpful indeed - thanks. New laptop arrives in three days’ time. I’ve found the licence keys for Office (using a key scanner), but I might upgrade anyway since my version of Offlce is 2010.

Currently pondering whether to outright buy a copy or do the monthly licensing via 365. Anyone have an opinion as to the relative merits?

Do you need all the advanced features of Excel/Word ? Try Libre Office first, it's free.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This should be really easy.

1) Do you have a Microsoft office license? Just sign in to Microsoft 365 on your new laptop and download the office apps again

2) have any media or documents to transfer? Either whack them on a USB drive, or upload to a filesharing program or add them to an external hard drive.

This should be the bulk of what you need to do.

You’ll then have a bunch of programs you’ll need to install as and when (eg Spotify etc). Just do these as and when you need them.

Don’t pay for IT support for this. Happy to help.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I used this when I moved to an SSD

https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

It was a complete clone of the disk but there is a paid version that supposed transfers the system rather than the OS. Highly recommend this if you are migrating to an SSD but can't comment on moving just files.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Do you need all the advanced features of Excel/Word ? Try Libre Office first, it's free.

Word, no. Excel - depends on what you mean by advanced - I use quite a few macros and look up tables. I’ll take a look - thanks.

This should be really easy.

1) Do you have a Microsoft office license? Just sign in to Microsoft 365 on your new laptop and download the office apps again

2) have any media or documents to transfer? Either whack them on a USB drive, or upload to a filesharing program or add them to an external hard drive.

This should be the bulk of what you need to do.

You’ll then have a bunch of programs you’ll need to install as and when (eg Spotify etc). Just do these as and when you need them.

Don’t pay for IT support for this. Happy to help.

TVM - I do have the licence codes for Office 2010, but (if I go Office again - see above), I’ll probably update to the latest (2019?). Think I’m going to upload to the cloud and download again - don’t have a spare ext HDD, though I could buy one.

I used this when I moved to an SSD

https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

It was a complete clone of the disk but there is a paid version that supposed transfers the system rather than the OS. Highly recommend this if you are migrating to an SSD but can't comment on moving just files.

The new laptop has a 256GB SSD and a 1TB 7200 HDD. It comes with Win 10 pre-installed; I’m rather hoping they’ve dumped that on the SSD as that’s where I want it.

I’ll have a look at that SW - tvm.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

Sorry I couldn't offer more practical advice but looks like more knowledgeable people here can. Good luck :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I asked a similar question on MSE Forums and their experts reccomened an external SSD drive with USB connection at £4 or less on E Bay.

It is on the forum under techie stuff then the thread Windows to Linux

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here