Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is Baltimore really a crime and rodent infested area?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Haven’t watched the videos, but I lived in Baltimore for 6 months about 8 years ago, and yes, it had a major crime problem, and I saw more rats there than I did in any other Western city. Croydon excepted, of course.

Not sure it’s particularly helpful of Trump to make such a statement, but I doubt he was trying to win votes there - it’d appeal to his core voter base...

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
These videos are the modern equivalent of writing in to the BBC: "Dear Sir, why oh why oh why..."

maxresdefault.jpg

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
The alternative "Trump is racist" narrative:

https://youtu.be/uCcz0cVY1t8

https://youtu.be/lSJgnKcXVLE

It's good to hear the

WARNING: This is not a Fox News presentation. Just another side of the argument from people who actually live in the US.

I live and work in New York, with regular travel to Baltimore. Yes as a city it has its bad spots, but it no way did it deserve to be used to target Elijah Cummings. I really like Baltimore, with its distinctive architecture. You should understand that it's a city with a large African American population, and used to target an African American politician, hence the backlash. To be frank, you could probably find videos such as the ones you've posted for all cities in the US.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The point
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
you.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Wire made it look like a hellhole, but then as others have said, most cities will always have deprived areas.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The Wire made it look like a hellhole, but then as others have said, most cities will always have deprived areas.

Indeed. It is also very unusual (at best) for a leader to highlight the worst points of a place in case it deters investment. His office is supposed to promote the interests of all Americans. I am going to go out on a limb and say that there is certainly some racism in there somewhere. Plays well to a certain constituency in the US.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I believe the response in the local paper was something like 'better to live among rodents than be one'. I think the thing that people found most offensive was that he claimed 'no human would want to live there'. What a disgraceful human being he is.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_views_of_Donald_Trump

Again, an absolute deluge of evidence.

Donald Trump, the 45th president of the United States, has a history of racist speech and actions that have widely been viewed as racially-charged. Many journalists, as well as friends and former employees of Trump, have criticized him for fueling racism in the United States.[1][2][3][4] Trump has repeatedly denied accusations of racism and bigotry. In a 2018 interview he stated "I am not a racist. I'm the least racist person you have ever interviewed".[5]

In 1973, Trump and his company Trump Management were sued by the U.S. Department of Justice for housing discrimination against African-American renters—a lawsuit which ended in a settlement.[6][7][8] The Justice Department sued again in 1978, claiming continued racial discrimination and a breach of the original agreement, but that case expired in 1982 without resolution.[9]

In 2011, Trump became the leading proponent of the already discredited "Birtherism" conspiracy theory that President Barack Obama was not born in the US, repeating the claim for the following five years.[10][11] In a notorious and racially charged case, Trump continued to insist, as late as 2019,[12][13] that a group of black and Latino teenagers were guilty of the 1989 rape of a white woman in the Central Park jogger case, despite the fact that the five had been officially exonerated in 2002, following the confession of an imprisoned serial rapist, confirmed by DNA evidence.[14][15][16]

Trump launched his 2016 presidential campaign with a speech where he stated of Mexican immigrants: "They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people".[17][18] Later, his claims that a Mexican-American judge should be disqualified due to his ethnicity were criticized as racist. He tweeted fake statistics claiming that African Americans are responsible for the majority of murders of white Americans, and in some speeches he linked African Americans and Hispanics with violent crime.[19] During his presidency, comments he made following a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, were perceived as implying a moral equivalence between white supremacist marchers and those who protested against them. In 2018, during an Oval Office meeting about immigration reform, he referred to El Salvador, Haiti, and African countries as "shitholes"; this comment was internationally condemned as racist.[20][21][22] In July 2019, Trump tweeted that Democratic congresswomen needed to "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime-infested places from which they came".[23] The statement was criticized by news outlets such as The Atlantic as a common racist trope.[24]

Trump's controversial statements have been condemned by many observers in the U.S. and around the world,[7][25][26] but excused by some of his supporters either as a rejection of political correctness[27][28] or because they harbor similar racial sentiments.[29][30] Several studies and surveys have stated that racist attitudes and racial resentment have fueled Trump's political ascendance, and have become more significant than economic factors in determining the party allegiance of U.S. voters.[30][31]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why would you need an alternative when it's commonly known that he's racist?
No, I read an eye witness account of when trump met a Mexican businessman in 2012, and he shook his hand, didn't spit on him or physically assault him, so he's not racist.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
All salient points covered above, lovely waterfront and it's enfant terrible, John Waters, has lived there his whole life. Here we see another local resident, and John Waters muse, Divine, talking a stroll around Baltimore in the Waters film Pink Flamingos, featuring the most disgusting scene ever committed to celluloid: ** public health warning, NOT for the faint-hearted **

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My mate had his bike nicked from Shoreham beach recently, and last weekend we saw a rat run across the toll bridge.

Do I win £5 ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here