Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] We all nearly died last Thursday

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh well.

‘It snuck up on us’: Scientists stunned by ‘city-killer’ asteroid that just missed Earth

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...-didnt-detect-it-time/?utm_term=.9fc13f182fa1

Scientists revealed an asteroid dubbed by some as a "city killer" came closer to the Earth than the moon this week. The Washington Post reported that scientists apparently had no idea it was coming.

Asteroid 2019 OK came hurtling toward Earth at a speed of nearly 15 miles a second, before flying past. According to NASA, it was about 45,000 miles from Earth on Thursday.

"It would have hit with over 30 times the energy of the atomic blast at Hiroshima," astronomer professor Alan Duffy told the Sydney Morning Herald. Duffy called the zooming space rock a "city killer."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/astero...roid-misses-earth-and-scientists-had-no-idea/

Although I guess it could have hit Croydon and done £8.74 worth of improvements.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If its anything like Armageddon, then there's still a bigger chunk of it out there somewhere, and on a similar trajectory.

I knew I shouldn't have bothered series linking the new series of Catchphrase.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Armageddon ?

It's hardly the end of the world.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
If its anything like Armageddon, then there's still a bigger chunk of it out there somewhere, and on a similar trajectory.

I knew I shouldn't have bothered series linking the new series of Catchphrase.
It's ok, Elon Musk has just called Bruce Willis.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Oh well.

‘It snuck up on us’: Scientists stunned by ‘city-killer’ asteroid that just missed Earth

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...-didnt-detect-it-time/?utm_term=.9fc13f182fa1

Scientists revealed an asteroid dubbed by some as a "city killer" came closer to the Earth than the moon this week. The Washington Post reported that scientists apparently had no idea it was coming.

Asteroid 2019 OK came hurtling toward Earth at a speed of nearly 15 miles a second, before flying past. According to NASA, it was about 45,000 miles from Earth on Thursday.

"It would have hit with over 30 times the energy of the atomic blast at Hiroshima," astronomer professor Alan Duffy told the Sydney Morning Herald. Duffy called the zooming space rock a "city killer."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/astero...roid-misses-earth-and-scientists-had-no-idea/

Although I guess it could have hit Croydon and done £8.74 worth of improvements.

Surely with a surname like Duffy we'd expect him to just head it away.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It wouldn't have killed everyone, unless you happened to be within the limited blast radius.

However, it does highlight that there is an upper size limit to the objects that we are able to spot in advance.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
so assuming at some point one of these is not going to miss, and basically wipe us all out, or as good as damn it, destroy what we laughingly call civilisation, would you want to know about it? Given there is nothing we could do, I think i would rather just have it happen, rather than have a 3 or 4 month countdown.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
so assuming at some point one of these is not going to miss, and basically wipe us all out, or as good as damn it, destroy what we laughingly call civilisation, would you want to know about it? Given there is nothing we could do, I think i would rather just have it happen, rather than have a 3 or 4 month countdown.

"Nothing we can do"?

Armageddon-movie-poster.jpg

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Armageddon is a classic of its kind (massive cheese fest but brilliant fun). That Deep Impact was a right pile of shite though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I think if they DID know a meteor was going to hit in (say) a month or two's time and wipe us out in an extinction event, we'd not be told about it, because all society would immediately break down and descend into complete chaos and anarchy. It'd be the end of days. Of course the news might "leak", but would people believe it ?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think if they DID know a meteor was going to hit in (say) a month or two's time and wipe us out in an extinction event, we'd not be told about it, because all society would immediately break down and descend into complete chaos and anarchy. It'd be the end of days. Of course the news might "leak", but would people believe it ?

Maybe the sign will be the chaps who stand on street corners in London shouting "The end of the world is nigh" suddenly being arrested for leaking classified information.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
"Fake asteroid folks, fake asteroid. I know asteroids.... and science, trust me. I'm a very smart guy. I do deals.

Now, take me to that bunker. What do you mean she's gone without me? Melania!!!"

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Highly recommend watching Brian Cox the planets, it's incredible how earth is in the perfect position for life to flourish, I think its Jupiter that sucks in most of the asteroids heading for us

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here