Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What questions have you asked which, once given the answer, wish you hadn't.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I think I was about ten, possibly younger, and having recently heard the word, I asked my dad what "mast**bation" meant.

Under the circumstances I think he handled the question very well as without pause or hesitation he quickly replied "playing with yourself".
I immediately wished I'd never asked the question and felt mortally embarrassed, and that was the end of the conversation on both our sides as neither of us pursued the subject further.

I didn't have a particularly close relationship with my dad and was never entirely comfortable in his company which made the whole experience so much worse.

Coincidentally and equally embarrassingly I had an almost identical exchange with my mum about eight years later. She was quite naive and wasn't given to swearing or foul language. At the time my parents were going through a very messy separation and my dad was being a really nasty piece of work and treating her really badly even though it was his affair which was causing the separation. During one of his emotionally abusive onslaughts against her he used the word "wa*nk". He also was not normally given to swearing so it was a word my mum had never encountered before. After my dad had left the house my mum turned to me in tears and asked me what "w*nk" meant.

At first I was reluctant to give an answer but my mum continued to press the question. I then recalled how my dad had dealt with the same slightly rephrased question about 8 years earlier, so without further pause or hesitation I quickly replied "playing with yourself".

I was in a way grateful to my dad for having previously provided me with the tool to enable me to answer such an awkward and embarrassing question even though he was directly responsible for provoking the question from my mum in the first place.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I bumped into a woman once who I hadn't seen since we were at school, and after the initial smiles and hello's, I innocently asked when the baby was due. She wasn't pregnant, she'd just gotten fat.

That was pretty much the end of the conversation. :facepalm:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I bumped into a woman once who I hadn't seen since we were at school, and after the initial smiles and hello's, I innocently asked when the baby was due. She wasn't pregnant, she'd just gotten fat.

That was pretty much the end of the conversation. :facepalm:

I'm also guilty of having innocently asked that same question to a female friend who I hadn't seen in a while.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Not me, but my wife... she was reading a Stephen King novel at work during her lunch break, and didn't know what one of the words meant. So she asked the bloke next to her what a "boner" was.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not me but my wee nephew, aged about 10 at the time... Came home from school one day a bit upset and said to his mum "Mum, the boys at school were calling you a MILF. What's a MILF?' To which his mum replied 'Och I don't know son. We'll ask your dad when he gets in"

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Not me but my wee nephew, aged about 10 at the time... Came home from school one day a bit upset and said to his mum "Mum, the boys at school were calling you a MILF. What's a MILF?' To which his mum replied 'Och I don't know son. We'll ask your dad when he gets in"

Genuine LOL!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
When I was a child my dad was attempting to explain the facts of life to me. He was really going all round the houses so I eventually asked 'what do men and women actually do?'. His voice dropped to a very low pitch and he awkwardly cough and said 'you've seen dogs haven't you?;. Sadly I had seen dogs and the image of my parents performing those roles lived with me for years.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Someone once told me that “muff diving” was diving off the pier.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Lesson learned. I've never asked that question since.

At the minute my Spanish teacher has become a little more bloated and complains of tiredness each fortnight at the beginning of our lesson. I am convinced she's up the duff, but i'm waiting until the baby is born, or one vast gastroenteritis chuff is released, to talk about it, in either Spanish or English.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When I was a child my dad was attempting to explain the facts of life to me. He was really going all round the houses so I eventually asked 'what do men and women actually do?'. His voice dropped to a very low pitch and he awkwardly cough and said 'you've seen dogs haven't you?;. Sadly I had seen dogs and the image of my parents performing those roles lived with me for years.

"What....you sniff each others bottoms ?"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Unfortunately that was the precise image I had.

Yikes. Sheltered upbringing then.

Mind you, I can't talk. When I was a nipper, I genuinely used to think that to get a woman pregnant, you had to WEE in her. But then I turned 19, and all became clear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here