Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Does your serving member of parliament have an unusual name?

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Lembit Opik was my M.P. when I lived in Montgomeryshire. He used to turn up at my local, the Sportsman in Newtown with a different woman every time.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
We don't have a 'serving' MP - we have one who works to deliver what he thinks his constituents should want (unless he's recently changed his mind).

It's their job to do what they think is right, not necessarily what the people want. Leaving BREXIT aside, if the people voted to end free healthcare, and the politicians believed for the good of the people free healthcare should be maintained, then they should maintain it.

We live in a PARLIAMENTARY democracy, where we vote against them after 5 years if we don't like them

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Mine is Steve Brine - take that with a pinch of salt.

He's not bad for a Tory.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes i remember Nimrod Ping.

An mp from the past i liked too was Lembit Opik, if i remember right he married a cheeky girl

Heartwarming

MAIN-lempit-obik.jpg

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
George’s daughter Rey sent to save the planet under pseudo name Caroline Lucas.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sir Olly Letwin.

:bowdown:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tim 'not very nice and dim' Laughton. A classic easy career mp with a safe seat. Apathy and the sheer incompetence of the local Labour Party (and LD for that matter) are the only reason he's had such a cushy ride, for so long, despite being borderline nazi in his voting record. Just does enough locally to butter people up, then goes to London and votes for virtually everything that works against them.

That's a bit harsh on Labour. I'd say it was the exact opposite, it's a rock-solid Tory seat and, at the last election, Loughton's majority was just over 5,000, as opposed to 15,000 in the previous election. In fact, Sophie Cook achieved the highest vote by a non-Tory politician in any Worthing seat. I'm rather baffled as to why they dropped her as PPC, that was an outstanding result.

And as Labour now hold 10 seats on the local council (they had none just five years ago), I'd have said that the local Labour party is one of the best-performing in the country.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I went to the hustings when SC didn't win to stand again. 2 things, firstly I think she picked up a load of votes from the apathetic and floaters, people who just don't want TOries . . .secondly, I think her own personal agenda probably worked against her amongst died in the wool labourites.

The new offering, Lavinia O'Conner hasn't got a cat in hells chance, Local people here will not vote for old labour, and JC's Labour in numbers.

It may be a 'safe seat' but only 1/3 of the electorate voted Tory . . . . The Lib dems could well win the seat IF they could field a good candidate and go for it with some gusto. As it stands the twunt will be safe

That's a bit harsh on Labour. I'd say it was the exact opposite, it's a rock-solid Tory seat and, at the last election, Loughton's majority was just over 5,000, as opposed to 15,000 in the previous election. In fact, Sophie Cook achieved the highest vote by a non-Tory politician in any Worthing seat. I'm rather baffled as to why they dropped her as PPC, that was an outstanding result.

And as Labour now hold 10 seats on the local council (they had none just five years ago), I'd have said that the local Labour party is one of the best-performing in the country.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No one has Richard Grosvenor Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax then ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I went to the hustings when SC didn't win to stand again. 2 things, firstly I think she picked up a load of votes from the apathetic and floaters, people who just don't want TOries . . .secondly, I think her own personal agenda probably worked against her amongst died in the wool labourites.

The new offering, Lavinia O'Conner hasn't got a cat in hells chance, Local people here will not vote for old labour, and JC's Labour in numbers.

It may be a 'safe seat' but only 1/3 of the electorate voted Tory . . . . The Lib dems could well win the seat IF they could field a good candidate and go for it with some gusto. As it stands the twunt will be safe

In the last three elections, the Tory vote has been just over or just under 50%, it's holding up well. A surge in LD votes wouldn't help if they took them mainly off Labour.

But the Labour party has also done very well in winning council seats - they must be doing something right as there was a national swing against Lab in the last elections: Worthing is bucking the trend

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here