Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] March at LWB vs Bernardo

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Many people have been thinking that Solly would make a great WB, and he looked so at home yesterday there (albeit against weaker oppo). Seemed to have a great understanding with Trossard.
Bodes the question, what of Bernardo? He is too good not to start isn't he?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I reckon he will win out as the third centre back and I think he could be brilliant with Dunk and Duffy in that combination.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I reckon he will win out as the third centre back and I think he could be brilliant with Dunk and Duffy in that combination.

This. I think, if March is going to be used as a LWB, Bernardo will slot in as the third centre back.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Interesting. Wonder why he wasn't there yesterday. Can be a bit harum scarum at times at the back, but he is young, and would be great coming forwards with March and Trossard in front of him. Very strong looking left side that.
Could def do with his pace at the back.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No Chance Bernardo will be cb with the options we have .

Based on yesterday’s game Bernardo should be the first choice wing back no question.

Solly as back up

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
March at wingback is great against Championship opposition but perhaps Bernardo is more solid against top Premier League teams, particularly away from home.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yes, positionally he is very good in defensive situations. I just wonder whether Potter will want to overload us more in offensive positions height wise hence Burn (personally I wouldn't have him near the first team, but that's just an opinion).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think Bernardo is becoming quite overrated on here, he's solid and has clear potential, but he's not exactly Leighton Baines in his prime! It's a shame we've not seen the 3-5-2 used more often in the pre-season, it's Suttner's natural position to be a left wing back but we've not seen anything of him there.

As for the suggestion March should be a right wing back, that's mental. He's only left footed, he can play right wing to cut in, but that's not what a wing back does. He would be woefully exposed on the right, much as Bernardo was when he played right back a couple of times last season. I'm all for flexibility in game when situations arise, but there's no argument to be made that March should be a starting right wing back.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think that unlike under CH where the formation and players were very much the same regardless of the opposition, that Potter will change the formation and players based on the opposition and his thoughts on what will give us the best chance of winning.

So even where we play 3-4-2-1 it could be Bernardo in 1 game and March in the next at LWB. In my view we are going to become a member of the PL rotation world and fielding an unchanged team other than where injury dictates will be long gone, we may not field an unchanged side throughout the season

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would rather see someone break the mental block Solly has when he gets into the final third of the pitch.

He's so much better a player than his cold hard stats would suggest.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think Bernardo is becoming quite overrated on here, he's solid and has clear potential, but he's not exactly Leighton Baines in his prime! It's a shame we've not seen the 3-5-2 used more often in the pre-season, it's Suttner's natural position to be a left wing back but we've not seen anything of him there.

As for the suggestion March should be a right wing back, that's mental. He's only left footed, he can play right wing to cut in, but that's not what a wing back does. He would be woefully exposed on the right, much as Bernardo was when he played right back a couple of times last season. I'm all for flexibility in game when situations arise, but there's no argument to be made that March should be a starting right wing back.

Why would Bernardo be "Leighton baines in his prime" when Bernardo is a way off his own prime yet? Very promising talent, let's keep nurturing him

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Why would Bernardo be "Leighton baines in his prime" when Bernardo is a way off his own prime yet? Very promising talent, let's keep nurturing him

D

Deleted member 2719

March has all the attributes to be a great wing back and hope he plays week in week out.

I am a big fan of solly.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Many people have been thinking that Solly would make a great WB, and he looked so at home yesterday there (albeit against weaker oppo). Seemed to have a great understanding with Trossard.
Bodes the question, what of Bernardo? He is too good not to start isn't he?

He said when he first came - “I’m a versatile player and I’ve come here as mainly a left-back - but I’ve also played in the centre of defence and as a central midfielder as well.

“I played a lot at right back last year and I’m equally comfortable at centre back, so I’m here to help the team”

So he has versatility when Im sure Potter will look to exploit.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I thought yesterday when the match started that I would rather have Bernardo as left sided CB than Burn, but tbf, Burn didn't do much wrong.

Competition for places eh? Whatever next? Finally beating Chelsea in the league (that's a long standing thing with me - the only team we haven't beaten in the league)!

With regard to the OP, I think it should be Bernardo vs. Burn (LCB), not Bernardo vs. March (LWB)

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I love that we are having these discussions, between two superb players rather than scrambling around for players to fill a hole.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I thought yesterday when the match started that I would rather have Bernardo as left sided CB than Burn, but tbf, Burn didn't do much wrong.

Competition for places eh? Whatever next? Finally beating Chelsea in the league (that's a long standing thing with me - the only team we haven't beaten in the league)!

With regard to the OP, I think it should be Bernardo vs. Burn (LCB), not Bernardo vs. March (LWB)

And then there's Clarke, a left footed CB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here