Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Couple of signings?

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Anybody think that we won’t be making anymore signings this window?. Personally I can’t see TB jeopardising our premier league position and his money for the sake of 2-3 signings. We might just make a couple of loan signings until our youngsters are ready but I don’t see nothing happening at all.

What say you?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Last season Murray ran out of steam at New Year, and we don't seem to be playing Locadia as the CF.

Which means we are basically down to 1 1/2 strikers for next season.

I'm sure we'll sign a striker.

Other than that - perhaps not.

Although we certainly seem to be linked with Central Midfielders, so maybe a 2nd signing there.

Right back : Not sure at all. Balogun has played there 30 times in the Bundesliga.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I may have completely lost the plot here, but in terms of squad depth I think CM is our most fragile position. Let’s say we are using wing backs, and we have evidence to suggest we will, I think Montoya will be far better than in a 4-4-1-1 under Hughton, less emphasis on defending and more opportunities to use his pace to get forward, Balogun can also play the position, as can Bernardo.m, that gives us cover at RB and also makes sense as to why we’ve bought a 5th centre back. In regards to our attack, it looks as though we’ll be playing with one striker, being supported by Trossard, Locadia, Groß and Alireza, if we change formation we can use Izquierdo and March as our wingers hence Knockaert was surplus to requirement, Andone or Murray are the obvious candidates to start, potentially with Hemed as 3rd choice and Connolly as 4th. As long as Dunk doesn’t leave we’re set at CB. Now, the two centre midfielders, I haven’t had the opportunity to watch any pre season games yet so I haven’t had the chance to see what Potter is asking from them, but I’m assuming one is more of a holding role, most likely Stephens, and the other is to help link play and get the ball forward, that would be suited to Pröpper or Bissouma. Apart from Kayal, who I don’t think had the physicality to support Stephens, or the overall ability to replace Davy or Yves I’m struggling to see where our depth/cover for CM is?
A new RB, CM and ST would obviously be nice, it’s the middle of the park that concerns me the most, our starters are fine but depth is thin.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
In order of priority:

- A defensively minded right back
- Centre forward
- Mobile defensive midfielder

I’m very confident that we’ll get a couple more players in before the window slams shut, but it won’t be quite the end of the world if we don’t.

Mr Balogun

- Centre forward
Mr Connolly

Mr Băluță

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I lot of people talking about Balogun playing as a right back... that’s all well and good but if we play with wing backs, that’s a whole different kettle of fish. From what I’ve seen, Balogun lacks the pace and forward thinking of a wing back and I’d rather see Solly deployed there (even though he’s left footed) and have Bernardo or even Suttner on the left. Schelotto is the obvious choice for a back up wing back as, I believe, that’s the position he predominantly played in Portugal.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Based in Birmingham game and how we set up there .

Most urgent - right wing back . Being able to play as a right winger essential , pacey and can defend .

Cm - a beast that can do it all

Striker - less essential due to how we interchange the 3 up top , needs to be pacey and good on the ball.

Bissouma will fit into the system fine so not sure the priority of the beast.

I’d say the priority is right wing back . I would of said striker before seeing the Birmingham game but makes sense now .

Hated the knocky sale but I get it now also

This season may just be ok

Edit - that’s assuming the answer isn’t in Baluta , Richards , sanders or Connolly

Last edited:

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
In order of priority:

- Centre forward
I would have thought most defenders are defensively
minded some just are not very good at it
We need a right back that can defend
A lot will disagree but I think Montoya is a very capable fullback

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
In order of priority:

- Centre forward

Surely looking at how GP set up yesterday:

- Striker
- An attack-minded RWB
- A mobile defensive midfielder

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Right back - if Birmingham is anything to go by we're playing wing backs. Always thought Knockaert could do a job there, but never mind, schelotto is certainly capable of that role. So may not be essential

Not necessarily, Potter is notorious for changing his formations and playing with different tactics, and after all that was just one game at Birmingham. Don't think we will know for sure until the season is well underway.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that the need for signings is urgent as I am sure that we can use this squad through to Jan and it is good enough, and then re assess the situation. If it becomes desperate I am sure that there will be players out of contract that we could sign after the window closes if needed to do a job.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I do not think that the need for signings is urgent as I am sure that we can use this squad through to Jan and it is good enough, and then re assess the situation. If it becomes desperate I am sure that there will be players out of contract that we could sign after the window closes if needed to do a job.
Are you proposing leaving empty spaces from the 25 required to be named then, just in case?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Are you proposing leaving empty spaces from the 25 required to be named then, just in case?

1 plus young players to step up as they say cometh the hour cometh the man with the likes of Baluta and the young lad from Man City. I think that if played in their correct positions we have sufficient quality even as a strikers. I thought that the 25 man squad was named at the end of the first month so a couple of games for GP to assess the situation after the window closes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here