Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] XtraPc

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You could have had the problem sorted before Thursday and for £0 had you followed my advice.
Now you run the risk of infecting your machines,
unless the software is from a reputable eBay merchant. Can you post the page it came from?

Sorry do not know how to do that but it is Ebay item no 202448766307 I accept your advice but found the instructions on the sites difficult to follow so settled for what appears to be a safe option at virtually no cost.

The seller has a 99.7% positive feedback on E Bay and I have just received confirmation from paypal of a payment to SouthHants Computer Company so hopefully it should be ok.

Last edited:

I accept your advice but found the instructions on the sites difficult to follow so settled for what appears to be a safe option at virtually no cost.
No you don't. I checked the site and there is no new thread from you on that board. I'll repeat it here, so everyone can see. I don't know why you come on here asking for advice if you're just going to ignore it and do your 'own thing'.
You mean you didn't even format your stick beforehand?? This tells me that you are doing it blind without following detailed instructions! You need to be taken through it step by step, so I'm advising you to join this forum to ask for help. Make sure you are specific in your thread title e.g. when you asked for advice on meat retailers, you failed to even mention meat in your thread title!
Would suggest something like 'PC too slow and considering Linux'. You will then get advice on speeding up your machine, if that is what the root problem is.
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I did format my stick as matter of course and read the relevant sites but unfortunately didnt understand them, so I wasnt ignoring your advice, far from it but didnt feel confident to make the memory stick/ dvd myself. I have now posted a new thread on MSE.

Last edited:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I did format my stick as matter of course and read the relevant sites but unfortunately didnt understand them, so I wasnt ignoring your advice, far from it but didnt feel confident to make the memory stick/ dvd myself. I have now posted a new thread on MSE.

I know what I'd like to do with your stick :moo:'

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
No you don't. I checked the site and there is no new thread from you on that board. I'll repeat it here, so everyone can see. I don't know why you come on here asking for advice if you're just going to ignore it and do your 'own thing'.

The penny has finally dropped lol

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bollox to this.

Since BG isn't really listening to advice, and the thread has already been hijacked by Chromebooks and Stadia.....

.... Music with a motorbike model in its title it is then... I'll go first :D

I have now posted a new thread on MSE.
Good. You are very fortunate that the board's expert in this particular matter has taken up your case within 15 minutes. I've known this guy for years and he is never wrong! So, please follow his advice precisely, starting with the model names and numbers that he has requested. You need to do this straight away because he likes to get things sorted as quickly as possible, i.e. procrastination annoys him. He's online right now...
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6031096

Last edited:

The penny has finally dropped lol
It seems to have got stuck!
Anyway, turns out he's been registered on MSE for years and has now provided the model numbers requested.

BG if all your machines have a hard disk drive (HDD), then I think he will advise you to get a solid state drive (SSD) for one of them. This is a good move as it will speed up your machine, it won't get so hot and the battery life (between charges) will be extended. You would be capable of fitting it. The price of these things has collapsed in recent years and £17 is an absolute bargain. He will provide a reliable source from which to buy.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I have looked at both e bay and amazon and an SSD seems to vary between £50 and £150.

These prices seem reasonable for an SSD, the second link is the same price on Amazon. An SSD is just about the best investment you can make if you want to get a performance boost out of an older machine.

https://www.ebuyer.com/790251-kingston-a400-240gb-ssd-ebuyer-com-sa400s37-240g

https://www.ebuyer.com/749998-sandisk-ssd-plus-480gb-sata-iii-2-5inch-ssd-sdssda-480g-g26

I have looked at both e bay and amazon and an SSD seems to vary between £50 and £150.
Did you read my last post? You can leave the sourcing to the expert as he's been doing this for several years. The (new) SSD will be about £17 and you may have to buy a caddy for another £4. This will house the HDD you take out, so that you can get your files and operating system onto the SSD. You'll still be able to use your old HDD afterwards as an external storage medium, useful for videos and backing up (you do back up, right? :)) Don't do or buy anything without his say-so. Have any of your machines had a RAM upgrade since they were new? If so, do you know what the revised RAM is? Also, what is the capacity of your USB stick (in GBs)?
It would be useful if you could thumbsup my posts on this thread so that I know you have read them.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is anyone else climbing the walls at the thought of BG getting the screwdrivers out and opening up his laptop with the intention of replacing his HDD with a SSD ? This thread will grow beyond the Zaha one. There just isn't the bandwidth.

BG - just buy a chromebook, they're not that expensive. Life is LITERALLY too short. You may actually cark it before you get your creaky old laptop sorted, and nobody wants that. I think.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Did you read my last post? You can leave the sourcing to the expert as he's been doing this for several years. The (new) SSD will be about £17 and you may have to buy a caddy for another £4. This will house the HDD you take out, so that you can get your files and operating system onto the SSD. You'll still be able to use your old HDD afterwards as an external storage medium, useful for videos and backing up (you do back up, right? :)) Don't do or buy anything without his say-so. Have any of your machines had a RAM upgrade since they were new? If so, do you know what the revised RAM is? Also, what is the capacity of your USB stick (in GBs)?
It would be useful if you could thumbsup my posts on this thread so that I know you have read them.

I barely understood that, chap (although I've been down the pub). For our erstwhile OP, I fear that may as well have been written in Swahili.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Is anyone else climbing the walls at the thought of BG getting the screwdrivers out and opening up his laptop with the intention of replacing his HDD with a SSD ? This thread will grow beyond the Zaha one. There just isn't the bandwidth.

BG - just buy a chromebook, they're not that expensive. Life is LITERALLY too short. You may actually cark it before you get your creaky old laptop sorted, and nobody wants that. I think.

Great YouTube video though

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

I've given you a :thumbsup: in case BG has gone to bed:yawn:

https://m.cclonline.com/category/718/Storage/Solid-State-Drives-SSDs-/2-5-Solid-State-Drives-SSDs-/#

This is a reputable company. I used to live close to them (admittedly 20 years ago...)
Please stop posting links to overpriced hardware, it's clickbait to BG!
I expect EveryWhere will go for
https://www.mymemory.co.uk/memory/data-storage/ssd-drives.html?dir=asc&order=price
(assuming he finds one of the laptops suitable).

Switching From Windows to Linux
http://mycomputertips.co.uk/110
I don't think we want BG messing about in the BIOS now, do we!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here