Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Joffra Archer Included in the 14 man Ashes Test Squad

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I think Archer will look great in the whites , what a achievement for this young man and fair play to those in charge for fast tracking his career to this stage , it has emerged that Archer played the last 4 games of the world cup in severe pain but has now said he's fit as a fiddle and raring to go for the upcoming ashes , really looking forward to this and good luck to him .

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
My guess is that Curran will miss out as they have Stokes as an all rounder.

He’s the weakest bowler but his batting has been really useful over the past 12 months. Shame we haven’t got the same strength in depth with the batting.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
.....if he hasn't injured himself running in to bowl for England! (He could be the next 'Syd' Lawrence - but I really hope not!)

He's got a bit of weight to put on to catch Syd.

sid.jpg

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It’s going to be tough to pick 4 from these 5 pace bowlers

Anderson
Broad
Woakes
Archer
Curran

Add stokes and mo , so you’re looking at three from five .
Curran won’t make it . Decent player though .
Woakes will surely not get dropped.
Archer is the only one who offers out and out hostility .
If i was Stuart broad I’d be worried

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Inevitable progression after his World Cup exploits.

Watching him at Hove last night, it's almost frightening how much he has improved over the course of the last year.

The most exciting young player I have seen come through the Sussex ranks in nearly Fifty years of watching the club. His ability and potential are extraordinary.

Go well Jofra lad. To paraphrase RSM Young in 'The Wild Geese' You Australians are in for a great big fu$%ing surprise.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Archer’s strain might be a worry though. He came through last night’s (very enjoyable) game unscathed but 4 overs is nothing compared to the rigours of the first test. Archer has to play If he’s fit.

If Anderson is fit I expect Woakes will miss out. I think I could have got 6 wickets against that batting and in those conditions yesterday!

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Inevitable progression after his World Cup exploits.

Watching him at Hove last night, it's almost frightening how much he has improved over the course of the last year.

The most exciting young player I have seen come through the Sussex ranks in nearly Fifty years of watching the club. His ability and potential are extraordinary.

Go well Jofra lad. To paraphrase RSM Young in 'The Wild Geese' You Australians are in for a great big fu$%ing surprise.

It’s such a shame that Mills can’t play more that 20 over cricket. That ball that caught Jacks on the helmet last night was damn quick.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
He’s the weakest bowler but his batting has been really useful over the past 12 months. Shame we haven’t got the same strength in depth with the batting.

Be good to have a left arm option.

I'm not convinced Archer will play this Test. Is he ready for a full five days ?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Add stokes and mo , so you’re looking at three from five .
Curran won’t make it . Decent player though .
Woakes will surely not get dropped.
Archer is the only one who offers out and out hostility .
If i was Stuart broad I’d be worried

They wouldn't drop Stuart Broad for Archer. Especially as Archer has been carrying an injury.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Archer’s strain might be a worry though. He came through last night’s (very enjoyable) game unscathed but 4 overs is nothing compared to the rigours of the first test. Archer has to play If he’s fit.

If Anderson is fit I expect Woakes will miss out. I think I could have got 6 wickets against that batting and in those conditions yesterday!

Woakes has been excellent for England recently. Very much doubt he won’t start

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
It’s such a shame that Mills can’t play more that 20 over cricket. That ball that caught Jacks on the helmet last night was damn quick.

Agreed. I thought last night was as good as I've seen him bowl. Fast. Hostile and accurate. It's a real shame his back condition hampers him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
it has emerged that Archer played the last 4 games of the world cup in severe pain
Personally I find this hard to believe, and assume that he had injections or similar to stop the pain. If I'm in severe pain and try to do something as physical as his fast bowling, I wouldn't be able to mask the pain in my face (just as a boxer can't mask it when they take a blow to the kidney). Archer never looked in much discomfort, let alone severe pain.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here