Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gareth Bale: What a waste

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
He's won the Champions league 4 times with the biggest club in the world, anywhere he goes now is down, so why not secure his family's future forevermore? That is why we work isn't it?

Something tells me he already has with his Real Madrid wages.

This move to China is someone who has immense talent, still only just turned 30, was always in the shadows of Ronaldo and now has his chance to finally let the world see what a talent he really is at a more suited club, but has instead decided to sell the rest of his dream career to China.

Regardless of his Real Madrid stats, he never lived up to the Gareth Bale of Spurs and certainly wasn't loved like he was at Spurs. Football wise It was obvious this transfer was never going to work for Bale. He needs to be the maverick. He needs to play as an individual, but when you've got Ronaldo in the same team, that's not going to happen. He could've been a football legend had he gone to a club where he could've carried on as the main man, but he chose the Real Madrid cash and stardom instead and since then he's been booed by his own fans, sat on the bench for The Champions league final and now looks to be semi retiring at just turned 30. What a stinker it all turned out to be considering how good he was and what a legend he could've been. Will now be remembered for wasting his career and talent all for money.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

This move to China is someone who has immense talent, still only just turned 30, was always in the shadows of Ronaldo and now has his chance to finally let the world see what a talent he really is at a more suited club, but has instead decided to sell the rest of his dream career to China.

Regardless of his Real Madrid stats, he never lived up to the Gareth Bale of Spurs and certainly wasn't loved like he was at Spurs. Football wise It was obvious this transfer was never going to work for Bale. He needs to be the maverick. He needs to play as an individual, but when you've got Ronaldo in the same team, that's not going to happen. He could've been a football legend had he gone to a club where he could've carried on as the main man, but he chose the Real Madrid cash and stardom instead and since then he's been booed by his own fans, sat on the bench for The Champions league final and now looks to be semi retiring at just turned 30. What a stinker it all turned out to be considering how good he was and what a legend he could've been. Will now be remembered for wasting his career for money.
What a load of bollocks.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It is a very difficult subject to have a view on because we'd all like to earn that sort of money. Not one of us isn't going to be a little envious of these amazing cash offers. So, I'm seriously jealous and would like to be his friend.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
If a recruiter contacted you with a job offer, doing pretty much the same work you do now, probably a bit easier but tripling your pay, you wouldn't seriously consider it?

Comparing a football career with a job is stupid.

Becoming a professional football player at the highest level is a dream come true, not a chore. Something Bale obviously doesn't appreciate.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Regardless of his Real Madrid stats, he never lived up to the Gareth Bale of Spurs and certainly wasn't loved like he was at Spurs. Football wise It was obvious this transfer was never going to work for Bale. He needs to be the maverick. He needs to play as an individual, but when you've got Ronaldo in the same team, that's not going to happen. He could've been a football legend had he gone to a club where he could've carried on as the main man, but he chose the Real Madrid cash and stardom instead and since then he's been booed by his own fans, sat on the bench for The Champions league final and now looks to be semi retiring at just turned 30. What a stinker it all turned out to be considering how good he was and what a legend he could've been. Will now be remembered for wasting his career and talent all for money.

The player is under contract at Real, he can't decide to tear it up and still continue to play as he has previously signed a contract and is an asset, Real can try to cash in on their asset and try to sell him, but there has to be a willing buyer who also is willing to take on his contract and his wages and it has to be somewhere the player than agrees to (or he can stay put and see out his contract which lasts until 2022)

So...who else can afford to pay him? - he is on a contract at Real Madrid, something that will have to be honoured until it expires or he (it) is sold to another club.

PSG and Man City, for example, have been having issues with staying FFP compliant, so they are out. How many other European clubs can match the wages given that FFP means most may not have the capacity to be able to sign him?

The only place for him to be able to move is somewhere like China, as clubs in other leagues (Germany, Italy, USA, etc..) are unable to afford his services and to get him to agree to leave Real, it would have to take a large (usually cash) incentive - hence the reportedly £156m over 3 years - the same length as is left to run on his contract at Real

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The player is under contract at Real, he can't decide to tear it up and still continue to play as he has previously signed a contract and is an asset, Real can try to cash in on their asset and try to sell him, but there has to be a willing buyer who also is willing to take on his contract and his wages and it has to be somewhere the player than agrees to (or he can stay put and see out his contract which lasts until 2022)

So...who else can afford to pay him? - he is on a contract at Real Madrid, something that will have to be honoured until it expires or he (it) is sold to another club.

PSG and Man City, for example, have been having issues with staying FFP compliant, so they are out. How many other European clubs can match the wages given that FFP means most may not have the capacity to be able to sign him?

The only place for him to be able to move is somewhere like China, as clubs in other leagues (Germany, Italy, USA, etc..) are unable to afford his services and to get him to agree to leave Real, it would have to take a large cash incentive (hence the reportedly £156m over 3 years)

So taking a pay-cut to continue playing at the highest level is out of the question for Bale?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
No, it's just greedy.

If a player works for nothing, who makes / gains that money instead? the club? the owner? It's going to go somewhere so why not the player(s) who are helping generate that income? (blame the Bosman ruling for the amount of power players have and the ability to hold clubs to ransom, causing wage inflation and meaning a lot of clubs are running at a loss rather than making money and securing their long term futures in this time of sky high incomes)

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
So taking a pay-cut to continue playing at the highest level is out of the question for Bale?

Who can afford to and has offered him a deal?

China have offered him a lot of money to try to overcome his reluctance to move there but even if you were just looking for someone to match what he was on now, who can?

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Yeah, but has he not already got a shedload of cash? how many sheds does he want? never going to spend what his already earned as it is.

Clearly not interested in playing competitive football, just a greedy see you next tuesday

Enough sheds to keep his offspring “in pocket” for generations. What’s wrong with that?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He's won the Champions league 4 times with the biggest club in the world, anywhere he goes now is down, so why not secure his family's future forevermore? That is why we work isn't it?
So he hasn't already provided enough security for his family?

Other start like Ronaldo and Messi have turned down the ludicrous money in China to keep playing in the top leagues, whereas Bale has sold out. Up to him of course, but to many of us it seems like a waste.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Bale has at least 2 or 3 years at the top barring disasterous injury........he must already have enough dough ffs.....strange decision in my book , weren't united interested..?

why wouldn't he come to us for 70 k a week...???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If a recruiter contacted you with a job offer, doing pretty much the same work you do now, probably a bit easier but tripling your pay, you wouldn't seriously consider it?
Others in Bale's position have turned it down. If I were in his position, I'd certainly turn it down.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He’s priced out of a move to any other top European club as he’s on £600k a week at Madrid.
So are you saying that Madrid were prepared to keep paying him £600k a week while he sat in the reserves? Surely they'd have to give him some respect and play him, or pay off some of his contract to let him go.

Or until Bale and Madrid reach a mutual agreement to end it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Bale has at least 2 or 3 years at the top barring disasterous injury........he must already have enough dough ffs.....strange decision in my book , weren't united interested..?

Ronaldo is still doing it, much older than Bale isn't he?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I would certainly consider it. Then i would consider that the money wouldn't make up for the fact that i would not be challenged or fulfilled by the move.

Sell your soul for the $$, Nah

Earn a smaller ridiculous fortune and keep my souL.

If it were me I would be telling my agent to work out a deal with Liverpool. Couple more years at the top.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What would you all do in his shoes?

i would say F'#k it, take a shit load of money and look after number one knowing you can spend the rest of your life very comfortably not working and spend it instead pissing your hard earned cash up the wall with booze and hookers.....and anything else you fancied doing.
Maybe thats just me though......you only live once, enjoy it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seems like Zidane being a c**t to me.

Bale has been the ultimate professional, not gone grizzling anywhere, kept his head down, cracked on and always available when called upon. Their other winger Asensio done his cruciate this week in one of their friendlies and is out for the season, Bale scores against Arsenal, and still ZZ says "nothings changed". He wants him gone.

Bale must have banged his missus or something.

I believe Bale banging the club is the issue.

They just can't afford his bazillion pound a week contract, begging the question 'why sign him to such a contract?' and need him gone.
But he can't go as nobody will pick up his contract and unsurprisingly he's not prepared to say 'you know what I've made my money I'm offski'.

So Real find themselves in the position of needing to treat Bale badly, while he laughs at them and concentrates on his putting.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Seems like Zidane being a c**t to me.

Bale has been the ultimate professional, not gone grizzling anywhere, kept his head down, cracked on and always available when called upon. Their other winger Asensio done his cruciate this week in one of their friendlies and is out for the season, Bale scores against Arsenal, and still ZZ says "nothings changed". He wants him gone.

Bale must have banged his missus or something.

Even odder as ZZ was the one that spent two years tapping him up.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Incredible waste. He would be better with us in footballing terms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here