Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Carl Beech ('Nick') gets 18 years

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49130670

A man who made false allegations of murder and child sexual abuse against public figures has been jailed for 18 years.

Carl Beech, 51, from Gloucester, was sentenced for 12 counts of perverting the course of justice, one of fraud, and for several child sexual offences.

Mr Justice Goss said Beech had shown "no remorse" for his claims, which were "all a fabrication".

Beech's lies led to a £2m Metropolitan Police investigation.

The judge told Newcastle Crown Court that Beech was "an intelligent, resourceful, manipulative and devious person" who "accused living persons of the highest integrity and decency of vile acts".

People falsely accused by Beech, and relatives of some of those who have died since the investigation began, said they were the victims of "a totally unjustified witch hunt".

They were also critical of those who publicised the allegations.

Known as "Nick" in initial media reports, Beech accused senior politicians, army and security chiefs of sadistic sexual abuse and claimed to have witnessed boys being murdered in the 1970s and 1980s.

The former NSPCC volunteer's claims led to a two-year Met Police investigation, Operation Midland, which closed in March 2016 with no arrests or charges made.

Beech was then referred for investigation by Northumbria Police, and it was discovered that he was himself a paedophile.

He pleaded guilty in January to possessing hundreds of indecent images of children and to covertly filming a teenage boy.

Prosecutor Tony Badenoch said the evidence showed that Beech "derived sexual pleasure from graphically describing the violent sexual abuse of young boys" and "enjoyed the attention and celebrity".

Among the establishment figures Beech wrongly accused of sexual abuse were former prime minister Sir Edward Heath, former Labour MP Lord Janner and ex-MI6 boss Sir Maurice Oldfield.

He accused his stepfather, Major Raymond Beech, of raping him and passing him to public figures to be abused.

The major's daughter, Victoria Taylor, said in a statement read in court that the family "totally refute" these claims.

Beech also fabricated a claim that he had been raped by DJ and prolific sexual abuser Jimmy Savile, fraudulently collecting £22,000 in compensation.

And he falsely reported that former Conservative MP Harvey Proctor had been directly involved in the murder of two boys.

Mr Proctor broke down in court at times as he read a victim impact statement about Beech's "false and malicious lies" and what he described as the subsequent "police misconduct".

The prosecutor said Beech had also given "entirely false hope" to the family of Martin Allen, missing since 1979, by speculating that he may have been one of the boys abused by the paedophile ring.

The Met publicly described Beech's allegations at the time as "credible and true", and they were given further publicity by Labour's deputy leader, Tom Watson, and media organisations, including the BBC.

In her victim impact statement read to the court, Lady Diana Brittan, whose husband Lord Brittan was among those accused, said he was "alone in hospital terminally ill with cancer" when the allegations became public and the BBC interviewed "Nick".

"I felt he was caught up in a totally unjustified witch hunt which took its toll on both him and me," she said.

She said the impact was "indescribable, incalculable and unending", with their homes being searched just six weeks after her husband's death.

Lady Brittan said she had to arrange security at his funeral. "My husband's name has now been cleared, but he will never know this," she said.

Field Marshall Lord Bramall, a D-Day veteran, said in a statement that he was "never as badly wounded in all my time in the military" as he was by the false allegations.

The harm had been "compounded" by the police publicly supporting the allegations, he said, adding that his wife of 62 years "died without knowing I had been cleared of the most horrific of crimes".

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Brilliant sentence. He was out to destroy peoples lives and it would have done. Well done judge

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lucky it wasn't longer. Hope he enjoys his time in his new home - sure he'll be made to feel welcome by his new mates.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
:eek:
Just heard on 3 p.m. radio news, but doesn't seem to be on BBC website yet.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49130670
Edit: Didn't know anything about child sex offences....

You must be on a windup?

Even without the child sex stuff - false allegations of something like that should be a 10-20 stretch easy. Up there with the worst offences. Tying up police time while they could be helping legitimate victims of sex crimes, plus the mental anguish of the accused.

You must be on a windup?

Even without the child sex stuff - false allegations of something like that should be a 10-20 stretch easy. Up there with the worst offences. Tying up police time while they could be helping legitimate victims of sex crimes, plus the mental anguish of the accused.
I've been following the case with interest for years but hadn't heard about the sexual offences until I read the BBC website just now. As for the 10-20 just for P of J, I wanted to compare it with the case of Sonia Sutcliffe. Didn't she provide a false alibi for the Yorkshire Ripper for several of his murders?

Last edited:

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Wow. What a foul and disgusting human being. Am glad the justice system won and this monster is getting banged up. Honestly think he deserves longer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Whatever happened to that thread that was extremely popular with a lot of NSC'rs contributing ? you know, the " Kitty " one ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here