Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bradford heritage numbers

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ZvWtVZTd

Bradford City players will have their own heritage number on their shirts next season, the first football club in England to do this. Apparently nearly 1,300 players have represented Bradford in a professional match since they were formed in 1903.

Nice idea, or a bit 'meh' ? Can't say I'd be overly fussed if BHA followed suit, but doesn't do any harm I suppose.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
From a player perspective I would imagine it’s a nice thing to have. I can’t see supporters being able to order shirts with a heritage number on - what would be the point? They can still get a shirt with a name and squad number on.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
quite nice, something for the kids and stato types to follow, does no harm. i hope there's a website of all the players.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Catching up with cricket where Test players have a heritage number on their caps.

A Premium opportunity for replica shirts to sell to fans.

Just waiting for a pedant to point out Bradford have missed a player from 1901 and the numbering is all wrong :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So are the starting XI in their first ever professional match all 'heritaged' as number 1 ? Hows that work I wonder.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
From a player perspective I would imagine it’s a nice thing to have.

Can't imagine the players give two hoots. They'll kiss any old badge du jour. They'll wear whatever they're told to wear. How else do you explain David Yelldell pretty in pink in goal away at Leeds? :lol:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Can't imagine the players give two hoots. They'll kiss any old badge du jour. They'll wear whatever they're told to wear. How else do you explain David Yeldell pretty in pink in goal away at Leeds? :lol:

Blame the referee. He decided at half time, the yellow keeper's shirt clashed with the ref's and lino's shirt. Neither Yeldell nor the club had any choice.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"We finished last in league one with the third biggest gates in the division but look at us leading the way with heritage numbers"

It's the kind of comedy their near neighbours Leeds are famed for.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Nice idea, if they've worked it out properly (taking into account loans etc) then i don't have an issue with it. I like it with Cricket.

Would be interesting to see if players that have 2 separate loan spells with the club take on their original heritage number.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Would be interesting to see if players that have 2 separate loan spells with the club take on their original heritage number.

You may have to explain to me how that would be interesting.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"We finished last in league one with the third biggest gates in the division but look at us leading the way with heritage numbers"

It's the kind of comedy their near neighbours Leeds are famed for.

“This project represents a cornerstone of our commitment to bring the club’s history to the forefront,” says Ryan Sparks, Bradford’s director of communications.

"Some magnificent footballers have played for this club and it’s vital we never forget them. We’ve a massive rebuilding job at this football club, and part of that involves connecting the present with the past. These players need to know what this club is all about. It goes without saying that the club had lost its way, and we’ve put a great deal of emphasis on repairing our image".

"When our current number 9 shanks his shot high into the Midland Road stand, supporters can revel in the knowledge that he is the 1,277th useless lump to pull on the famous claret and amber stripes".

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I think it's cute.

Instead of being remembered by their name, they'll now forever be identified by a number. Like an inmate. Or a product code for some shelves off Ikea.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here