Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Moving from Brighton

0 Not allowed!
    me and the wife are thinking of moving from Brighton once we've had some work done on our flat and put it on the market

realistically with a child we need more space and Brighton isn't really the place where that's going to happen, so we're probably going to have to bite the bullet and move elsewhere. I work in Brighton and my wife works in Worthing so we're thinking either moving west or north of brighton.

things we need are:

-alright schools
    -comfortable commuting distance to brighton and/or worthing (to Brighton needs to be done by public transport)
    -decent sense of community and "stuff" to do
    -ability to afford a "reasonably priced" 3 bed property

who here has experience of a similar migration? Looking at the market we can definitely afford places like Southwick, Shoreham, Lancing, Worthing and at a push Portslade/Mile Oak and going north Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Hassocks is a good bet. Really good schools
      First REMF goalscorer - EVER

6 Not allowed!
      WEST WALES , it's only 5 hours to the Amex , there's no rush hour , and we have a indoor toilet and electricity !
      Seagulls be thou the rainbow in the storms of life ,the evening beam that smiles the clouds away ,and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray .
      Still Got. A Vote wellquickwoody's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Anywhere close to a railway station on the west coast line would be a good choice.
      Old Git from Crystal Palace is a convicted *****, but he won’t tell you that!

2 Not allowed!
      Shoreham is a good place to live, been here for 18 years now. Town centre is nice and schools good. Youngest went to Swiss Gardens school in the centre of Sham and loved it, went up to Shoreham Academ (11+) last year and doing really well despite her not being the most confident of kids.

Southwick also ok but Southwick Square is a bit meh.

Lancing is not as nice, centre a bit crappy and Robert Woodard Academy (11 yo +) isn't as good as Shoreham Academy. Primary schools result's also not as good as S and S. But house prices are cheaper so you get more for your money.

All 3 have good links on trains and buses to Btn and Worthing and good but busy roads. My son in law has an electric scooter he uses to get from their house in Shoreham to Worthing daily for work.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by stewart12 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      me and the wife are thinking of moving from Brighton once we've had some work done on our flat and put it on the market

realistically with a child we need more space and Brighton isn't really the place where that's going to happen, so we're probably going to have to bite the bullet and move elsewhere. I work in Brighton and my wife works in Worthing so we're thinking either moving west or north of brighton.

things we need are:

-alright schools
      -comfortable commuting distance to brighton and/or worthing (to Brighton needs to be done by public transport)
      -decent sense of community and "stuff" to do
      -ability to afford a "reasonably priced" 3 bed property

who here has experience of a similar migration? Looking at the market we can definitely afford places like Southwick, Shoreham, Lancing, Worthing and at a push Portslade/Mile Oak and going north Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill
      Moved to Burgess Hill about 30 years ago (tried Lindfield for a short while first) and have grown to like it. Choice of housing is pretty wide and still cheaper on average than Haywards Heath. Brighton commute by train is dead easy. Secondary Schools are a bit mixed (both ours went to Oakmeeds which is typically the worst) and like most vary over time but Downlands at Hassocks and Warden Park in Cuckfield are within easy reach too so there's a choice. Primary schools generally appear to be pretty good. Plenty of local stuff going on depending on your interests I guess. I particularly like the green spaces and closeness to the Downs plus easy access to Gatwick, London and A23. Town centre is pretty crap unless you like a lot of coffee and need a lot of haircuts. Leisure centre is good. There's a huge amount of new housing planned though and not sure how this will affect things - if other facilities like schools, docs etc grow at the same rate then it'll be good but I know that doesn't always tend to be the case..............

As @Stumpy Tim says Hassocks is a good bet too (definitely a good community feel there) - being smaller there's less choice of housing though I'd think
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
      Panic! At The Amex Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
      Shoreham always seems to me like it would be a smashing place to live.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

0 Not allowed!
      I've been doing more and more work in the Brighton to Worthing corridor, and there are some really nice properties to be had a sensible prices. I know a few people who moved to Worthing (including our own @Bozza) and not looked back. Worthing is like a series of separate little villages really when outside the actual centre. Shoreham continues to improve, and Lancing is probably bargain central in terms of sq ft for your £££.

Think I'd rather be on the coastline rail and bus routes than have to join the London commuters if you moved North.

5 Not allowed!
      Shoreham is lovely, been here 26 years
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I've been doing more and more work in the Brighton to Worthing corridor, and there are some really nice properties to be had a sensible prices. I know a few people who moved to Worthing (including our own @Bozza) and not looked back. Worthing is like a series of separate little villages really when outside the actual centre. Shoreham continues to improve, and Lancing is probably bargain central in terms of sq ft for your £££.

Think I'd rather be on the coastline rail and bus routes than have to join the London commuters if you moved North.
      LOL - most of the London commuters will be going in the opposite direction
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"