Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Moving from Brighton

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
I’ll be putting my three bedroom house in worthing on the market in a couple of months. It’s right in the town centre and the last time I counted there were 30+ pubs/bars within a mile, as well as just about every type of restaurant cuisine nearby too. I’d recommend Worthing as a great place to live.

(How would you like to buy my house privately [emoji57])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cocamalia

Jan 1, 2011
I moved to Deptford in London a few years back and has served me alright. And the house price gains mean I can take my pick in Brighton should I decide to move back.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Agreed. Worthing is a non-runner for me as the A27 is so unbearable that any journey east by car must feel like torture.

House prices will always force people to look a little bit further afield to find the nearest affordable place, regardless of how undesirable that place once was. Right now, the nearest place to Brighton that offers a lot of house for your money is Lancing. Shoreham is expensive, Southwick is expensive, Portslade is expensive. It’s a matter of time before younger people from Brighton realise how nice Lancing beach is and how much potential the housing market offers and start moving in, dragging up the standard as they do. And once that happens every house in the town will be worth an extra £100k in five years.[/QUOTE]

i think that’s a tad optimistic
So I'm ****ed then basically

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
OP

It's a well trodden path you're walking. I love the Brighton life. It's brilliant having 5 pubs within 2 minutes walk from your house. But I started a family a few years ago and decided that I needed thing like a garden and somewhere where I can bring up my children with a bit more space.

I settled on the Downs Park area, which is just between Hangleton and Mile Oak. I'm really glad I did, because ....

It's relatively affordable for the Brighton area
The houses and gardens are reasonable sizes
There's not much in the way of problem families
There's a regular bus, 6 which gets me to town quite quickly (and back late if I want and am allowed a few beers). Churchill Square is 30 mins
I can walk to the downs in under 5 mins
My kids can run around out the front, because, it's not a through road to anywhere
Decent schools
Playground very close
Can be on the A27 is 2 or 3 mins
Portslade Station is 20 mins walk, which is perfect for me as it's too far away to pay a "commuter premium" on the house, but close enough, that I can get there on my bike on 5 mins down the link road
The Albion supporter coach picks up from really near my door

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks. The whole area has really captivated us, our friends live literally 2 minutes from Roundhay Park, which is beautiful, we’ve been perusing the usual property pages and there’s quite a few houses that have taken our fancy. Realistically we want a 3/4 bed semi detached with drive, nothing OTT, walking distance to restaurants, pubs and a bit of lifestyle. The Mrs is on her way up to stay with her parents as we speak, she’s got plenty of time to investigate further areas and see what takes her fancy. It’s kind of a win win, she gets to be near her family, and I’m near one of my oldest friends and God-Daughter :)

Happy wife, happy life!

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Stay in Brighton. Westdene and Patcham are comparable price wise I should think.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They are nice areas, but it is difficult to move back down south when you want to. It took me 33 years to get back, and still have a mortgage now.

This.

Have friends and a brother who gave Eastbourne and Nottingham a go (“more for your money than Brighton and Hove”). In just a few years, Brighton and Hove home prices are now double theirs, when it was parity for their new larger home when they left. Prices here are 6x the nadir of 25 years ago.

They’ll never be able to move back to Brighton and Hove. Popular Lewes is an identical story.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I’ll be putting my three bedroom house in worthing on the market in a couple of months. It’s right in the town centre and the last time I counted there were 30+ pubs/bars within a mile, as well as just about every type of restaurant cuisine nearby too. I’d recommend Worthing as a great place to live.

(How would you like to buy my house privately [emoji57])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ha, thank you for the offer but need to do some work on our flat before we're ready to sell

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Stay in Brighton. Westdene and Patcham are comparable price wise I should think.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

hmm not seen any houses in either area within our price range. From the looks of it, the only areas we can afford in Brighton & Hove are Moulsecoomb/Bevendean, Whitehawk, Portslade/Mile Oak and at a push Woodingdean

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
OP

It's a well trodden path you're walking. I love the Brighton life. It's brilliant having 5 pubs within 2 minutes walk from your house. But I started a family a few years ago and decided that I needed thing like a garden and somewhere where I can bring up my children with a bit more space.

I settled on the Downs Park area, which is just between Hangleton and Mile Oak. I'm really glad I did, because ....

It's relatively affordable for the Brighton area
The houses and gardens are reasonable sizes
There's not much in the way of problem families
There's a regular bus, 6 which gets me to town quite quickly (and back late if I want and am allowed a few beers). Churchill Square is 30 mins
I can walk to the downs in under 5 mins
My kids can run around out the front, because, it's not a through road to anywhere
Decent schools
Playground very close
Can be on the A27 is 2 or 3 mins
Portslade Station is 20 mins walk, which is perfect for me as it's too far away to pay a "commuter premium" on the house, but close enough, that I can get there on my bike on 5 mins down the link road
The Albion supporter coach picks up from really near my door

yeh must admit that area does tickle my fancy

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Roundhay Park is great but:

1) Don't be tempted to look down towards Harehills. It's... not great.

2) [was going to be about Jimmy Savile's old apartment overlooking the children's playground, but seemingly it's now been demolished... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-37696898]

Fortunately our friends are from Leeds so are all too aware of the less desirable areas, Seacroft is another that’s ‘off bounds’. They pointed out where Saville’s apartment was last summer, apparently it had no kitchen of any sort as he used to dine out for free in the city every night :eek:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As part of the government house building program there are new houses springing up everywhere.

Except the urban fringe of Brighton, due to the Downland countryside and elsewhere councillors/residents are highly mobilised to fight all new housing near them. A common argument is that the Vale of Sussex (north and east of the South Downs) doesn’t have the rare fauna and flora of Chalk Downland, so should bear far more of the housing brunt. Eastbourne, Burgess Hill, Uckfield, Haywards Heath and Horsham have grown almost beyond recognition since say 1990.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here