Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Flapjack

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Clearly the winner when it come to sticky cake/biscuits. But what is the perfect recipe please?

Personally i favour a slight burn on the outside, chewy consistency but with a soft middle. Oh, and always take the corner piece.

flapjacks.jpg

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've been eating cricket teas for over 50 years, as both a player and a coach.
For the last 20 I have avoided all cake in an impossible challenge to minimise waistline enlargement.
However, FLAPJACK cannot be ignored and, when prepared correctly, if the most delicious and enjoyable cricket-tea treat.
Must be firm enough to hold its shape, soft to the nibble and tasty.

Just like a decent pair of boobs I guess ....

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I've been eating cricket teas for over 50 years, as both a player and a coach.
For the last 20 I have avoided all cake in an impossible challenge to minimise waistline enlargement.
However, FLAPJACK cannot be ignored and, when prepared correctly, if the most delicious and enjoyable cricket-tea treat.
Must be firm enough to hold its shape, soft to the nibble and tasty.

Just like a decent pair of boobs I guess ....

Jevington scones and jam took a lot of beating

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
No fruit. Ever.
They do not belong in Flapjack.
And no chocolate either. Oats, sugar, butter. A perfect combination if done well. End of.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No fruit. Ever.
They do not belong in Flapjack.
And no chocolate either. Oats, sugar, butter. A perfect combination if done well. End of.

Agreed but I put honey or maple syrup in mine, but you have to be careful in the baking as it can make them go hard especially on the outside.
I like them just right on the outside but must be soft and chewy on the inside.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
500g oats
250g golden granulated sugar
250g unsalted butter
5 table spoons golden syrup

Simple and delicious.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Agreed but I put honey or maple syrup in mine, but you have to be careful in the baking as it can make them go hard especially on the outside.
I like them just right on the outside but must be soft and chewy on the inside.

Honey, maple syrup and golden syrup are just forms of sugar, so that's (just about) acceptable, albeit unneccessary.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I had a banofee pie flavoured flapjack from the hilltop cafe at the top of dyke road the other day, you can’t beat that for a combination IMHO!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Flapjacks are the worst! It's all about caramel slice mmmmm

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

500g oats
250g unsalted butter
5 table spoons golden syrup
That's a ridiculous measurement, you could get nearly double the amount of what, a level tbs by the amount stuck to the bottom! With digital scales nowadays, there's no reason not to put the exact amount in grams. Also, the butter doesn't have to be unsalted.

Tip: measure golden syrup out first. Weigh the whole bowl with clean spoon resting inside it before zeroing. If you scoop too much out of the tin or jar then it's easy to let it slide back in from the spoon then reweigh, as the readout will always show the exact amount of syrup you have taken.

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
That's a ridiculous measurement, you could get nearly double the amount of what, a level tbs by the amount stuck to the bottom! With digital scales nowadays, there's no reason not to put the exact amount in grams. Also, the butter doesn't have to be unsalted.

Tip: measure golden syrup out first. Weigh the whole bowl with clean spoon resting inside it before zeroing. If you scoop too much out of the tin or jar then it's easy to let it slide back in from the spoon then reweigh, as the readout will always show the exact amount of syrup you have taken.

Try it before you knock it.

I've made this recipe dozens of times using this method, perfect every time.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
I wasn't questioning the recipe, just the vagueness of the quantity of syrup.

OK, I guess I have made it so often I know how much syrup to use, allowing the measuring spoon to overflow a touch, to counter the bit that gets left behind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here