Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Analytics

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Probably being a bit dense here but haven't seen any reference to this previously - for any twitter users, I'm finding the stuff being posted by [MENTION=23140]Albion[/MENTION] Analytics quite fascinating and worth a follow if it's your kind of thing

https://twitter.com/AlbionAnalytics/status/1154659971386302465?s=20

Good example here - our Xg performance and the very significant tailing off of chances created in the second half of the season

XG.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't need 10 game rolling xG graphs to tell me so far, in 2019, the Albion have been shitehouse. :lol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I do love a bit of analytics but it needs to show something we don't already know, and flesh it out with some reasoning as to why that may be the case.

For example, if the Albion were significantly worse defensively without Bruno in the side, and many on here see that as a flaw with Montoya. But if some analytics could take it further and show that it's not about Montoya, it's about the make-up of the rest of the defence needing the guidance of the experience Bruno brings, which marshals the whole defence. Maybe it's influenced by who is at right back AND left back. If D&D have to guide both Bernardo and Montoya each side of them, maybe with a language issue going on, then that proves harder than just guiding Bernardo when Bruno is the other side, or just guiding Montoya when Bong is the other side.

It needs to scratch deeper than showing us that we were worse in the 2nd half of last season.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I do love a bit of analytics but it needs to show something we don't already know, and flesh it out with some reasoning as to why that may be the case.

For example, if the Albion were significantly worse defensively without Bruno in the side, and many on here see that as a flaw with Montoya. But if some analytics could take it further and show that it's not about Montoya, it's about the make-up of the rest of the defence needing the guidance of the experience Bruno brings, which marshals the whole defence. Maybe it's influenced by who is at right back AND left back. If D&D have to guide both Bernardo and Montoya each side of them, maybe with a language issue going on, then that proves harder than just guiding Bernardo when Bruno is the other side, or just guiding Montoya when Bong is the other side.

It needs to scratch deeper than showing us that we were worse in the 2nd half of last season.

Maybe Dunk is better at organising Bernardo then Duffy is at organising Montoya. Both have been brought into a system that they are adapting to and maybe one gets better help and advice or maybe one is better at understanding what the manager wants

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
counting how many balls went in the onion bag is easier surely

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Maybe Dunk is better at organising Bernardo then Duffy is at organising Montoya. Both have been brought into a system that they are adapting to and maybe one gets better help and advice or maybe one is better at understanding what the manager wants

Exactly. We tend to see us concede more with Montoya there, rather than Bruno. That seems to be what we see with our own eyes, and make the assumption that Bruno is better than Montoya. But analytics should throw up other possibilities because there is a correlation that isn't so easy to spot. I do wonder how much impact language skills have, particularly over a "unit" like a back 4. If you have one full back who has ok English, but struggles when you throw an Irish accent on that, then you can just about get by. Have that at both full back positions, and maybe it creates a serious problem.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Driving along the seafront in Hove yesterday the police pulled over a nice Porsche out steps Bruno the traffic was particularly slow so as I pulled along side I lowered the window to offer my advice to the policeman "come on let him off its Bruno the mans a god" both Bruno and the policeman laughed which either ment my intervention was helpful or it was not, the morel of this story I was to the right of Bruno as was the policeman with Bruno's wife just behind and my advice freely given was clearly heard which indicated to me guidance to a back four is best provided by the left or right back, I don't need charts it's just common sence

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I only posted an example - if you follow the account there is a mountain of stuff on there (including less directly related data - analysis of Maupay last season, MacAllister for Boca etc). It's great stuff........................

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I liked his/her heatmap of Ryan. :moo:

I'm a statistics nerd but that is pushing it.

[tweet]1150321645409701888[/tweet]

I'm a statistics nerd too, a bit of a stretch to call myself a professional statistician BUT; that's like me going to my board of directors and saying one of our biggest expenses is jet fuel (I work in an airline's treasury..) and expecting a round of applause for my analysis.

That xG creation for the end of the season is staggeringly bad.

But the question is, are you surprised given our tactics? I'm often astonished people attack Locadia and Jahanbaksh for their contribution, given our tactics. But our xG really does explain why they have been

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I only posted an example - if you follow the account there is a mountain of stuff on there (including less directly related data - analysis of Maupay last season, MacAllister for Boca etc). It's great stuff........................

Appreciate the link, and following the account is exactly what I did within a few seconds of reading your original post.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I liked his/her heatmap of Ryan. :moo:

I'm a statistics nerd but that is pushing it.

[tweet]1150321645409701888[/tweet]

Whilst I hear you it will be interesting to compare his heatmap after first ten games under Potterball as I’d expect him to be simultaneously more exposed but have to be out of his box a bit more sweeper keepering.
[MENTION=21215]Dazzer[/MENTION]6666 thanks for the heads up re the account I’ll make sure to follow

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Exactly. We tend to see us concede more with Montoya there, rather than Bruno. That seems to be what we see with our own eyes, and make the assumption that Bruno is better than Montoya. But analytics should throw up other possibilities because there is a correlation that isn't so easy to spot. I do wonder how much impact language skills have, particularly over a "unit" like a back 4. If you have one full back who has ok English, but struggles when you throw an Irish accent on that, then you can just about get by. Have that at both full back positions, and maybe it creates a serious problem.

There also might be something in the way Knockaert performs with Bruno behind him and with Montoya there. He may feel with Bruno he must put in a shift in helping out but with a younger player in Montoya could be more inclined to roam around and not help out

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There also might be something in the way Knockaert performs with Bruno behind him and with Montoya there. He may feel with Bruno he must put in a shift in helping out but with a younger player in Montoya could be more inclined to roam around and not help out

Everyone is younger than Bruno :) There was definitely a great understanding between Knocky and Bruno - another of the important 'partnerships' on the pitch, just didn't seem to click the same way between Montoya and Knocky

Wonder if the analyst does requests ???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here