Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Happy Birthday

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Happy 83rd Birthday to the elder statesman of South Coast football, Lawrie McMenemy. Hope you have a great day my friend.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Still haven't forgiven him for stitching us up in 1979.

There is no evidence of that. Southampton had no cause not to try and win the title, Spurs had a penalty 'dive' turned down too.

If anything, the reluctance to compete toward the end was down to the Spurs fans once again causing problems in the ground. There is pictorial evidence that they had smashed a fence in the away end, It is therefore possible that Southampton were less in a hurry than we would have liked them to be. Hardly a stitch up.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
There is no evidence of that. Southampton had no cause not to try and win the title, Spurs had a penalty 'dive' turned down too.

If anything, the reluctance to compete toward the end was down to the Spurs fans once again causing problems in the ground. There is pictorial evidence that they had smashed a fence in the away end, It is therefore possible that Southampton were less in a hurry than we would have liked them to be. Hardly a stitch up.

The managers leading their teams out side-by-side like it was the F.A.Cup final. Mcmenemy and Burkinshaw virtually holding hands as they did so. A point each would give them both promotion. 0 - 0. I haven't forgiven either of them for stitching us up in 1979.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He's a thoroughly decent bloke. I attended the Solent University graduation dinner with my wife a couple of years ago and we were on the same table as him. he has an honorary degree. In introducing ourselves at the beginning, my wife, who is a Saints STH, then introduced me as a Brighton STH. We were on opposite sides of a round table, so that conversation didn't develop.

But at the end of the dinner he came round to me, shook my hand and wished us good luck. We had just achieved promotion - so two years ago. he was admiring of what Tony Bloom had done and achieved as a good guy and owner, and said that Chris Hughton is "a good lad". And he meant a "good lad" in every way, as we all know he is even though he is not with us any more.

He is hugely popular and loved round here, does a lot for charity and so on and so forth. A good guy.

Now the Hans Kraay Fan Club will probably come in and shoot me down in flames...……..

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Happy 83rd Birthday to the elder statesman of South Coast football, Lawrie McMenemy. Hope you have a great day my friend.

Our morning paper lists the day's important birthdays and Mrs LI and I have a small parlour game to guess how old the famous people actually are. I was miles out with McMenemy - 72! - but bang on with two of the others - Mick Jagger is 76 and Helen Mirren 74. Aren't people getting old?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here