Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 61314151617181926 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor old Bury

Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure it's just an amazing coincidence, but if you take the first letter of each sentence of that article what does it spell?
    That's made my day, already.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Juan Albion View Post
      You have to feel for their fans. The excitement of promotion instantly tainted by finding out the players haven't been paid. Then the manager leaves, as do many of the players. Next, they get a 12 point deduction to start next season for going into administration (CVA).

Now they await a decision as to whether they will be kicked out of the league before the season even begins. Even if that doesn't happen, their fixtures could be suspended unless they can get security/safety clearance to play home games.

So think about that while moaning about the slow transfer window.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...d-be-suspended
      As this could be the day it all ends, will other clubs finally learn that you cant spend money they haven't got? Will the EFL director vetting system stretch to Googling a person trying to buy a club for a pound and seeing that all their previous directorships are clouded in mystery and financial irregularities?

I feel for the Bury fans, 20 years ago that could have been us, but what about the fans and players at the clubs who missed out on promotion because Bury went up the 'never never'?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Rider View Post
      As this could be the day it all ends, will other clubs finally learn that you cant spend money they haven't got? Will the EFL director vetting system stretch to Googling a person trying to buy a club for a pound and seeing that all their previous directorships are clouded in mystery and financial irregularities?

'?
      It’s really amazing isn’t it? Presumably the only test on the “Fit and Proper” Test is that the Director isn’t banned as a director.

I’ve never been a director of anything - who can I buy?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
      I'm sure it's just an amazing coincidence, but if you take the first letter of each sentence of that article what does it spell?
      Superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "These were, I have to say, quite easily the ugliest people I have ever seen in my life, and I've been to Selhurst Park when Crystal Palace are at home."

Charlie Connelly, 'Attention All Shipping: a Journey round the Shipping Forecast'; published by Abacus Books, 2004, page 94.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
      But if the fans don’t go why should a club be saved by others ? At the end of the day all these clubs overspend and if the PL gave each of them a million they would go and spend 2 million

last season they averaged over 4k.

Not to different from us when we nearly didn't survive.

Can't agree with your thinking

0 Not allowed!
      "One Team Short Shirley"

Quote Originally Posted by OzMike View Post
      How on earth did you come up with that ?
      I was in a punk band in the 70’s called ‘3 feet in a shit house’.
      We were looking for a band name at the time and were playing a gig at some small pokey place.
      After a set, the drummer and I went for a leak, when we got to the tiny toilet the urinals were full of blokes and that left the cubicle.
      We decided to stand and use it at the same time to speed things up, it was then we realised that one person could stand at the pan whilst the other had to have one foot just outside the door.
      Hence, ‘3 feet in a shit house’.
      Robert Shirley was the best footballer at our school. He played for 3 sides. The only side that actually won their league championship was Garbutt Square. They won because of playing like a team. They were the "One Team Short Shirley."
      Quote Originally Posted by ac gull View Post
      common sense is not actually that common these days

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by FatSuperman View Post
      True Easy, but who in China gave a shite about Tottenham in the 60s? Or the 90s? The Premier League is a marketing construct, just like everything. Why are the historic, old and successful clubs less of a draw than Tottenham, who have never won anything significant? If we are still playing football in 100 years there is no reason it couldn’t be Tonbridge Angels at the top of the pyramid instead - part from the new walls being put up everywhere. The barrier the ‘current’ big boys are keen to erect to protect them from now on. They are on the right side by chance, by circumstance of being successful at the right moment.

Why is the PL so much more valuable around the world than the Bundesliga? Just Marketing? First mover advantage? Call it what you want but it was a genius move - if you are at the top table at whatever point the rules get changed. Of course we all hate Leeds, but why should Tottenham get away with being a ‘Big Six’ club when Leeds are historically far more successful? What is the measure, when is the cut off? It’s just marketing / promotion. Nothing else.

Scudamore should have been given a massive send off. Oh. Wait.
      Clubs that do or have played in the Premier League:

Plucky
      Huddersfield
      Barnsley
      Swindon
      Crystal Palace
      Wigan
      Hull
      Reading
      Cardiff
      Swansea

There's plenty of tinpottery there, and some might even include BHA in that list. But the rules haven't changed at all. The Premier League is not a closed shop - a well-run club CAN make it through the divisions and into that top 20. Even a shit-run club can fluke it. Staying there is the trick of course, but overall there is a very healthy churn of clubs there. Personally I'm quite happy that what some clubs did 30-40 odd years ago has no real bearing on where they are now.

There IS a widening gap between the elite PL clubs and the rest, thats obviously undeniable. But what used to be considered a "big 3" (Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal) became a "big 4" when Chelsea got monied up, then a "big 5" when City arrived, and now we have Spurs making up whats considered our current top 6 clubs. Interlopers like Wolves and Leicester might even break into that this season and displace one or more of them, so I don't think its quite as crystallised as you make out, aside from the fact that the top 6 will probably never be relegated now.

As to why the PL is more successful than the others leagues in Europe - part of it is just brilliant marketing, but a large part of it is that its a vibrant competition. If City win it this season, that'll be the first time its been done 3 times in a row since Man Utd nearly 20 years ago. Games are mostly fast and competitive, with loads of star names and some occasional (although less frequent now) shock results. Full stadiums, compelling battles at both ends of the table, lots of historic clubs, and a slick hype-machine behind it all.

The likes of Bury will almost certainly never be a part of all that - but then I'd have said the same about us when we were playing in front of 1,200 at a dismal shithole in Kent. And you look at the teams we were rubbing shoulders with when we stayed up at Hereford, we are one of SIX clubs who went on and made it all the way to the PL. Sheffield Utd were in the third division two years ago.

Nothing is set in stone.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Napper View Post
      last season they averaged over 4k.

Not to different from us when we nearly didn't survive.

Can't agree with your thinking
      And spent far more on players than gates of 4K can sustain

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      Clubs that do or have played in the Premier League:

Plucky
      Huddersfield
      Barnsley
      Swindon
      Crystal Palace
      Wigan
      Hull
      Reading
      Cardiff
      Swansea

There's plenty of tinpottery there, and some might even include BHA in that list. But the rules haven't changed at all. The Premier League is not a closed shop - a well-run club CAN make it through the divisions and into that top 20. Even a shit-run club can fluke it. Staying there is the trick of course, but overall there is a very healthy churn of clubs there. Personally I'm quite happy that what some clubs did 30-40 odd years ago has no real bearing on where they are now.

There IS a widening gap between the elite PL clubs and the rest, thats obviously undeniable. But what used to be considered a "big 3" (Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal) became a "big 4" when Chelsea got monied up, then a "big 5" when City arrived, and now we have Spurs making up whats considered our current top 6 clubs. Interlopers like Wolves and Leicester might even break into that this season and displace one or more of them, so I don't think its quite as crystallised as you make out, aside from the fact that the top 6 will probably never be relegated now.

As to why the PL is more successful than the others leagues in Europe - part of it is just brilliant marketing, but a large part of it is that its a vibrant competition. If City win it this season, that'll be the first time its been done 3 times in a row since Man Utd nearly 20 years ago. Games are mostly fast and competitive, with loads of star names and some occasional (although less frequent now) shock results. Full stadiums, compelling battles at both ends of the table, lots of historic clubs, and a slick hype-machine behind it all.

The likes of Bury will almost certainly never be a part of all that - but then I'd have said the same about us when we were playing in front of 1,200 at a dismal shithole in Kent. And you look at the teams we were rubbing shoulders with when we stayed up at Hereford, we are one of SIX clubs who went on and made it all the way to the PL. Sheffield Utd were in the third division two years ago.

Nothing is set in stone.
      I agree with all of that. I was referring to the point that almost nobody outside of teams involved are interested in the Championship. The Premier League has been a huge success internationally because of all the points you make, but most of those are also true of the Championship - albeit not so many star names, however one might gauge that. I'm just saying that the PL got first mover advantage in the 90's, by developing a slick 'product' and hyping it endlessly. It then started feeding itself to make it ever more successful.

Of course, that attraction is largely based on the top 5/6 clubs now, but that's only because they've been marketed heavily. Nobody really cared about most of them 40 years ago.
      Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class Juan Albion's Avatar
      Pontypool (Not THAT Pontypool, the one with the zombies)

0 Not allowed!
      The EFL said in a statement on Friday: “As of 5pm there has been limited progress made either by the current ownership providing the required evidence in regard to outstanding financial information, or through a change of control being achieved with new owners.”
      Daniel Ortega must go. Hero turned villain. Murderous scum.