Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poor old Bury

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Would it save that much money though to make a difference?

The players wages are the issue and clubs forced to pay more than they can afford in order to compete with those that seem to get away with it.
It wasn't that long ago that the 2 lower leagues were looking at part time as an option.
Now they are paying individuals thousands per week each.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Worryingly silent in Bolton sounds like the title of a northern indie band's tricky second album

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
When Bury & Bolton go, it’ll open the floodgates. Accrington chairman reckons there are 8 clubs in dire straits.

That doesn't surprise me. Sounds a bit like the retail world where big names have fallen – and continue to fall – by the wayside.

A few more go and League 2 disappears. A few years after that maybe there's a possibility of a Premier League 1, 2 and 3? Or re-brand League 1 as something else, so Premier League, Championship and ?????

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Nice swerve. So when we're relegated, and it will happen at some point, you're happy for us to go under because we'll be spending more than we bring in ?
That's how capitalism works these days.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Given a lot of lower league clubs are in a financial crisis is it not now time to perhaps reduce from 92 teams within our leagues to a smaller number. Do any other leagues in the world have 92 teams through out their divisions (can’t be bothered to research this if I’m honestly).This is only a question not my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What a stupid thing to say.

Wasn’t too long ago we were 4th tier. You would have cried like a bitch if we were expected to drop out.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
What a mess.

If both Bury and Bolton survive, will Bury have an advantage over Bolton seeing as how they haven't had to play any games with a team full of youth players? Will teams that have already run up the goal difference against Bolton Youth have an advantage over those who play a reinforced Bolton team later in the season?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The problem is that there's been months for "interested" parties to show they can do more than just be interested. The truth is that nothing has happened for either club. Every extension is just postponing things, not solving anything - and it's obvious that without playing matches the clubs can't go on.

I think the odds are firmly that one or both clubs goes out business. That's not officially happened since Maidstone in 92 (though I would also count what happened to Wimbledon as the same thing - in a different way - but the result was no different).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The problem is that there's been months for "interested" parties to show they can do more than just be interested. The truth is that nothing has happened for either club. Every extension is just postponing things, not solving anything - and it's obvious that without playing matches the clubs can't go on.

I think the odds are firmly that one or both clubs goes out business. That's not officially happened since Maidstone in 92 (though I would also count what happened to Wimbledon as the same thing - in a different way - but the result was no different).
Happened to be in Maidstone on a recent Saturday - a fair number of Maidstone shirts around town before their game.

There is a future for any AFC Bury, or AFC Bolton if it comes to it.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
What a mess.

If both Bury and Bolton survive, will Bury have an advantage over Bolton seeing as how they haven't had to play any games with a team full of youth players? Will teams that have already run up the goal difference against Bolton Youth have an advantage over those who play a reinforced Bolton team later in the season?

It's unfair on the other teams if Bolton start playing team with something of a full team after gifting points to others playing their youth team

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Happened to be in Maidstone on a recent Saturday - a fair number of Maidstone shirts around town before their game.

There is a future for any AFC Bury, or AFC Bolton if it comes to it.
Yep - that's kind of my opinion too. The clubs can go on - if the fans want them to. The problem is the ground, because it will take either of them a long time to get a decent ground again if that goes as part of the winding up (which, surely, it would).

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Glasgow Rangers were liquidated a few years ago, but their fans and most of the media still seem to refer to the new club being the same club.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Glasgow Rangers were liquidated a few years ago, but their fans and most of the media still seem to refer to the new club being the same club.
The company was liquidated, but sold the ground and facilities to a new company that continued to play on the same ground. I guess it's conceivable that this could happen to Lancashire clubs, but in that case they would certainly lose their League status.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anyone else think it's time to bring back North and South divisions?

Reduce the travelling costs if nothing else.

Could still have play-off's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here