Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/23/jill-neville-steve-dale-give-up-control-bury

One obviously can't blame Gary Neville for Bury's demise, but how could he let his parents' club die while pumping money into Salford?!

And - again - how can the FCUM backers justify forming a new club when multiple clubs in Manchester - with 100 years or more of history - face extinction.

It stinks.

I was droning on to Mrs T about this earlier today. I suppose the class of 91 would say that Bury isn't in Salford whereas Old Trafford is. Basically I agree with you, though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Clubs that do or have played in the Premier League:

Plucky
Huddersfield
Barnsley
Swindon
Crystal Palace
Wigan
Hull
Reading
Cardiff
Swansea

There's plenty of tinpottery there, and some might even include BHA in that list. But the rules haven't changed at all. The Premier League is not a closed shop - a well-run club CAN make it through the divisions and into that top 20. Even a shit-run club can fluke it. Staying there is the trick of course, but overall there is a very healthy churn of clubs there. Personally I'm quite happy that what some clubs did 30-40 odd years ago has no real bearing on where they are now.

There IS a widening gap between the elite PL clubs and the rest, thats obviously undeniable. But what used to be considered a "big 3" (Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal) became a "big 4" when Chelsea got monied up, then a "big 5" when City arrived, and now we have Spurs making up whats considered our current top 6 clubs. Interlopers like Wolves and Leicester might even break into that this season and displace one or more of them, so I don't think its quite as crystallised as you make out, aside from the fact that the top 6 will probably never be relegated now.

As to why the PL is more successful than the others leagues in Europe - part of it is just brilliant marketing, but a large part of it is that its a vibrant competition. If City win it this season, that'll be the first time its been done 3 times in a row since Man Utd nearly 20 years ago. Games are mostly fast and competitive, with loads of star names and some occasional (although less frequent now) shock results. Full stadiums, compelling battles at both ends of the table, lots of historic clubs, and a slick hype-machine behind it all.

The likes of Bury will almost certainly never be a part of all that - but then I'd have said the same about us when we were playing in front of 1,200 at a dismal shithole in Kent. And you look at the teams we were rubbing shoulders with when we stayed up at Hereford, we are one of SIX clubs who went on and made it all the way to the PL. Sheffield Utd were in the third division two years ago.

Nothing is set in stone.

This.

The 'nothing in human history has ever been as bad as everything is now' brigade get on my tits, and deflect away from real injustice and problems that are resolvable.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You can't do it but you can just say if you overspend and go bust then that's it , stop punishing teams who play by the rules and live within their means

Till the leagues are back in order and as a short term measure I don’t think it’s a terrible idea.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Haven't read all of this thread, but thought I'd already 'saved' Bury several years ago, when they appealed to other clubs' fans to cough up a tenner for their fighting fund - for which, in eternal gratitude for my magnanimous gesture, they would inscribe a seat-back with the name of my late father.

Didn't it work, after all? If so, whatever happened to that vast mountain of our humanitarian cash?

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
Apparently a last minute buyer found. Hopefully not false hope

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Haven't read all of this thread, but thought I'd already 'saved' Bury several years ago, when they appealed to other clubs' fans to cough up a tenner for their fighting fund - for which, in eternal gratitude for my magnanimous gesture, they would inscribe a seat-back with the name of my late father.

Didn't it work, after all? If so, whatever happened to that vast mountain of our humanitarian cash?

They took the money but our plastic flip-up immortality was not forthcoming.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On the news the owner said it was down to the EFL not him as I am not sure whether he said that he had sold the club or complied with what the EFL wanted.

He's been talking a load of old bollocks all day (on t'radio). Claims when he bought the club he hadn't heard of Bury, as he isn't interested in football and knows nowt about it. Inspifarkinrayshonal. :hilton:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How can you do business this time of night? Are they burning the oil at Lytham St Annes waiting for a solicitor to fax through a signed contract?

*cough* bullshit from t'owner *cough*

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Buyer found for Bury.

Well, til next time then. What club’s gonna be next?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here