Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poor old Bury

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I do wonder what would have happened to us back in the day if the current football league rules had been in place when we were in trouble. Maybe we would have been fine, but I don’t remember us having to prove we were financially viable to the league when we survived the winding up petition. It feels like things are harder these days.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I do wonder what would have happened to us back in the day if the current football league rules had been in place when we were in trouble. Maybe we would have been fine, but I don’t remember us having to prove we were financially viable to the league when we survived the winding up petition. It feels like things are harder these days.

Didn't we have to lodge £500K with the Football League ???

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Didn't we have to lodge £500K with the Football League ???

That does sound familiar. I'm not saying we had it easy back them, I just meant it feels like the league have firmed up their rules and I wonder whether we would have met today's conditions if they'd been in place back then. It's horrible thinking about close we came to going out of business, it almost seems surreal when you go out the Amex these days.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Considering what we went through and where we are now. We should make some noise about what's happening at Bury. Banners at the Amex saying things Iike "save Bury" etc would be a good touch especially coming from a Prem club with the amount of media exposure we have now. It wasn't long ago we were in Bury's shoes. Really hope they survive as a club. It would be devastating for their fans.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Orient was one I believe.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
17 clubs voted to kick us out

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There was a time when a struggling club could be helped by a passing buckets round the stands to raise a few quid.

Those days are gone.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
They are supposed to play Sheffield Wed tonight in the league cup. As the game is not going ahead do Massive get a buy into the next round, or is the match postponed and potentially pushing back the round dates?

That aside they have until next Friday to prove they have the funds else will be expelled from the league.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whilst I do have plenty of sympathy with the Bury fans and their plight, is there not an argument that Bury assembled a squad of players which they could not really afford (not necessarily through transfer fees, but they still have to be paid), got promoted last season, and are only now paying the price ? Meanwhile the clubs who paid their bills but could not afford the squad which Bury won promotion with are still languishing down in League Two, but are at least still fulfilling all their fixtures.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
They are supposed to play Sheffield Wed tonight in the league cup. As the game is not going ahead do Massive get a buy into the next round, or is the match postponed and potentially pushing back the round dates?

That aside they have until next Friday to prove they have the funds else will be expelled from the league.

As the second round is the week commencing 26th I would expect the EFL to leave any decision on the cup tie until 23rd. If Bury are thrown out then Sheff Wed will get a bye and could play their second round the on the scheduled date if the local police approve or the original Bury the can be played then catch up before the third round.

This is just guess work on my part but I cant see Bury being thrown out of the League Cup before a decision on their league place is concluded

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Whilst I do have plenty of sympathy with the Bury fans and their plight, is there not an argument that Bury assembled a squad of players which they could not really afford (not necessarily through transfer fees, but they still have to be paid), got promoted last season, and are only now paying the price ? Meanwhile the clubs who paid their bills but could not afford the squad which Bury won promotion with are still languishing down in League Two, but are at least still fulfilling all their fixtures.
I don't know the full facts but yes, there's certainly an argument there.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Listening to 5 Live on the way home and they are reporting the story. Just mentioned that a Brighton fan has messaged in via Twitter asking why they were covering a regional story on a national radio station. If true that **** has a very short memory. I hope they get Jamie'd quite honestly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here