Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Is Australia a continent?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Bear in mind that the definition of continents are not following some strict guidelines, it's just what people 'normally' use, hence why there are sometimes 7 (or 8 with the new one). And sometimes only 4 (Afro-Eurasia, America, Antarctica, Australia.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Bear in mind that the definition of continents are not following some strict guidelines, it's just what people 'normally' use, hence why there are sometimes 7 (or 8 with the new one). And sometimes only 4 (Afro-Eurasia, America, Antarctica, Australia.

Exactly. There is no correct answer to this question, only opinions, since there is no agreed standard definition of what a continent is. Politicians might have one answer, geologists quite another. In the case of Australia, different parts of the world teach different things.

As for New Zealand, there are a couple of suggestions. One is that it is not part of a continent at all (possibly it is a micro-continent in the same way Pluto is a dwarf planet, not a real planet). Another is the aforementioned Zealandia, which is largely under water. Another is that it is part of Oceania, with Aus, Fiji etc.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
New Zealand straddles the edge between the Australian tectonic plate and the Pacific plate. One island per plate, roughly.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
And certainly some argue that tectonic plates/continental shelves should be used to define continents. I prefer that myself in some ways.

Haha yeeaaahh! **** you Iceland! You get two continents. Iceland Left and Iceland Right sounds good to me.

New Zealand is screwed no matter how we classify it. I honestly think the best approach is to either ignore it and delete from continental maps. Or just mutter it under your breath as the continents are listed.

“Oh yeah I know them all; Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, South America, Australia and Antarctica... andstupidlittlefkinnewzealand, crying in the corner with Pluto the dwarf”

Juan Albion

Or just mutter it under your breath as the continents are listed.

“Oh yeah I know them all; Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, South America, Australia and Antarctica... andstupidlittlefkinnewzealand, crying in the corner with Pluto the dwarf”

I tried that but got viciously assaulted by a keyboard warrior on YouTube from a country where they disagree with that list. I tried saying if it is a good enough list for NASA, it is good enough for me. But he started waffling on about Easter Island and Chile for some unknown reason.

And as for Iceland, he felt the same about Papua New Guinea/West Papua but for different reasons.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No. Australia is a country (special emphasis on removing the O). Australasia is a continent.
No it isn't. Australia is a country which is part of Australasia.
Australasia (Oceania)
Nope. It’s a country in Australasia
Well my understanding was that the above is all wrong. Australia is a continent.

Australasia and Oceana are regions that include New Zealand, and New Zealand is not on any continent.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But that would make Madagascar a continent for sure.

As i said its part of the equation. It proves the land mass has been apart from other land masses for a long long time. Madagascar is a lot smaller land mass though. It could fit into mainland Australia 13-14 times.

So land mass in size might play a part as well.

Juan Albion

As i said its part of the equation. It proves the land mass has been apart from other land masses for a long long time. Madagascar is a lot smaller land mass though. It could fit into mainland Australia 13-14 times.

So land mass in size might play a part as well.

Yes, there are so many ways it could be done. But none definitive, which is rather surprising.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yes, there are so many ways it could be done. But none definitive, which is rather surprising.

Added I think the indigenous peoples of Australia are a strong case to to put forth in any such discussion as to why it's a continent.

Unlike NZ where it's Islander peoples do share similarities with other Islander nations the Australian Aboriginal is their own unique look.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There's the whole flora and fauna that only occur there which also factors into it being its own continent.
I've not heard that before. Have you got a link to a definition of 'continent' that says having its own flora and fauna is relevant?

Juan Albion

Added I think the indigenous peoples of Australia are a strong case to to put forth in any such discussion as to why it's a continent.

Unlike NZ where it's Islander peoples do share similarities with other Islander nations the Australian Aboriginal is their own unique look.

But Africa is one continent even though the Arabs in the north are very different to many other African nations' peoples. So I'm not sure that works.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I think one of the issues is the number of different names and terms for that area. Australia, Australasia, Oceania, Sahul, Australinea, Meganesia! What we really need is one universal name to rule them all. A new standard, as it were.

I nominate Juan to decide.

Juan Albion

I think one of the issues is the number of different names and terms for that area. Australia, Australasia, Oceania, Sahul, Australinea, Meganesia! What we really need is one universal name to rule them all. A new standard, as it were.

I nominate Juan to decide.

Then I'll just name it "The Leftovers"

Juan Albion

have you heard of Gondwanaland....?? google it, you may find it interesting.

Well, exactly, continents move on their tectonic plates, which is why I like to use them when trying to work out what is what. We have to ask ourselves what the continents will look like in a million years time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here