Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter interview - the i

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Can't find a link, but here it is anyway.

Potter won't be afraid to unleash whizz-kids

The new Seagulls boss has a track record of encouraging young players to step up, writes Nick Szczepanik

Graham Potter built a reputation as one of the most promising coaches in the game by taking Ostersunds from Sweden’s fourth tier to the Europa League and then keeping Swansea City buoyant in last season’s Championship despite the departure of a squad’s worth of players. But he knows that will count for nothing when he takes charge of his first Premier League match as head coach when his new Brighton team visit Watford on August 10.

“Pressure, responsibility, excitement, challenge – all those words apply, of course,” he says. “It is Premier League football at a fantastic club with brilliant support. That’s the job and I’m looking forward to it. The application has been brilliant, the lads have been first-class in the way they have gone about their work every day, the way they approach training and their quality, which is what you would expect from them.”

Can the methods that served him in Sweden and South Wales can make an impression on a less forgiving league, in which Brighton finished 17th? Last season, Potter gave Swansea’s youth players opportunities and none grabbed them more firmly than Daniel James, who made his league debut in August and was sold to Manchester United for £15 million last month.

Tony Bloom, the Brighton owner, has invested heavily in the club’s academy, which gained category one status in July 2014. But since then none of its graduates have followed Lewis Dunk and Solly March into the first team on a regular basis. Ireland under-21 striker Aaron Connolly, 19, was voted Premier League 2 player of the season in 2018-19 but has managed only two substitute appearances in League Cup ties. The arrival of Dan Ashworth from the FA as Brighton’s technical director is likely to change that and Potter’s approach will chime with Ashworth’s ambitions.

“There were options for us [at Swansea] in terms of experienced players that we could have used but you try to be as meritocratic as possible,” he said. “If Dan James showed himself to be the best option then it was my job to give him that opportunity. I don’t think it’s necessarily about age, it’s about players and what they do on the pitch and then picking the best team. We have got a lot of options and it’s the job of the coach to make the right decisions and I’m looking forward to that.”

Taylor Richards, 18, an England under-17 midfield player, signed from Manchester City last week, struck a nerveless Panenka-style penalty to win last Friday’s friendly at Crawley Town on his debut, and is likely to be fast-tracked into Potter’s squad. “You can see his quality and you can also see the bits that he needs to do better as you would expect from a young player,” Potter said. “But he showed his confidence with the penalty. He is ambitious and he wants to have a taste of first team football. That is always the challenge with young players, to get that next step from youth football right. We want to find the right pathway for him to get first-team experience.”

Supporters will hope that, as well as getting younger, the team is less defensive as Potter attempts to improve on the Seagulls’ relegation near-miss under Chris Hughton last season. A safety-first playing style heavily reliant on centre backs Lewis Dunk and Shane Duffy was dismissed as ‘anti-football.’ Can Potter, a believer in tactical flexibility, make Brighton into an adventurous attacking side capable of switching formations several times in a match? “They are good players, high-level players, intelligent. I’m sure that none of them think they are the finished article and they would all like to get better and prolong their careers. That is our job.

“It’s hard for me to comment on what happened last season. The reality is that they stayed in the Premier League, which is a fantastic achievement. There is already a good foundation here and a lot of good work has been done. But every coach, no matter who they are and what their beliefs are, would want to improve on the previous year. That is what we have to do and will try to do. Now the task is to see if we can.”

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Cheers for this. But why am I feeling exceptionally nervous about what is becoming,
to my mind, a bit of an experiment?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Meritocratic

Is that the first time this word has appeared on NSC?

If Potter’s use of young players is as good as his use of English we are in for a treat :lolol:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Cheers for this. But why am I feeling exceptionally nervous about what is becoming,
to my mind, a bit of an experiment?

That's normal. Luckily Norwich, Newcastle, Sheffield United and Villa are conducting weird experiments of their own. And there's always the Petri dish that is Palace ....

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
A Swansea fan who goes to a few games was telling me mid-season they just could not get any consistency. I think that was after Swans had a heavy defeat at QPR. It is going to be a bumpy ride.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So if we play from the back to the front it will be called “palindrome football”? :drink:

Front to back and back to front is a plan. Never give the ball away if you play like this.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
A Swansea fan who goes to a few games was telling me mid-season they just could not get any consistency. I think that was after Swans had a heavy defeat at QPR. It is going to be a bumpy ride.

With us he is starting with a far higher calibre squad, with a proven strong defence. Something Swansea lacked all season.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
With us he is starting with a far higher calibre squad, with a proven strong defence. Something Swansea lacked all season.

And is against technically superior, bigger, faster, better prepared players than in the Championship. That is just how it is.

And to be honest - it did not look like a proven strong defence at many points last season.

Fingers crossed.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes, Potter didn't have to find ways for his defence to stop Kane, Salah, Rashford etc

And is against technically superior, bigger, faster, better prepared players than in the Championship. That is just how it is.

And to be honest - it did not look like a proven strong defence at many points last season.

Fingers crossed.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Tony Bloom, the Brighton owner, has invested heavily in the club’s academy, which gained category one status in July 2014. But since then none of its graduates have followed Lewis Dunk and Solly March into the first team on a regular basis. Ireland under-21 striker Aaron Connolly, 19, was voted Premier League 2 player of the season in 2018-19 but has managed only two substitute appearances in League Cup ties. The arrival of Dan Ashworth from the FA as Brighton’s technical director is likely to change that and Potter’s approach will chime with Ashworth’s ambitions.

This for me sums up the whole Albion / Bloom ethos.
He (TB) has had this plan for the Albion, banging around in his head, way before taking the reigns over from Dick Knight.
Now at the helm, the plan is in fruition, with the fantastic efforts of Chris Hughton getting us to the PL, the time is now right to introduce the young Albionites to the world and make the good the academy's worth.
Commentator: from old time Murray to March.......
Will now be old timer March to Gyokeres........:albion2:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
The way things are planning out in the transfer window, Potter won’t have much choice but to use kids at some stage in the PL.

And TB and Ashworth have made it pretty clear that it’s now part of his job description too.

Feel a bit for him to be honest. Ashworth will already have identified two or three potential replacements. As we seem to have moved away from the ethos of not sacking managers, the trigger finger will already be primed.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The way things are planning out in the transfer window, Potter won’t have much choice but to use kids at some stage in the PL.

And TB and Ashworth have made it pretty clear that it’s now part of his job description too.

Feel a bit for him to be honest. Ashworth will already have identified two or three potential replacements. As we seem to have moved away from the ethos of not sacking managers, the trigger finger will already be primed.

2nd favourite for the sack already!,

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/next-manager-to-leave-post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here